HybridZ

Changing the drive belts

Guest hunanking

Guest hunanking

After searching and not finding an answer anywhere, including my factory manual:

Can someone tell me how to replace the drive belts? I'm assuming that I need to remove the cooling fan. I don't need a "how-to" although it would be helpful.

I see how the locknuts on each pulley work and I understand how to adjust them.... just wondering about taking them off...

Thanks!

Mike

You can simply CUT the old belts off with a pair of diagonal cutters if you like, unless you need them for something. but there is no need to even remove the cooling fan...simply loosen the pulley bolt on the tensioners and then loosen the adjustment bolt on the tensioner (the long one that you can see go past the back side of the tensioner pulley itself)...remove the belt, working it passed the fan (one blade at a time). Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't forget to re-tighten the pulley bolts. Simple.

You can simply CUT the old belts off with a pair of diagonal cutters if you like, unless you need them for something. but there is no need to even remove the cooling fan...simply loosen the pulley bolt on the tensioners and then loosen the adjustment bolt on the tensioner (the long one that you can see go past the back side of the tensioner pulley itself)...remove the belt, working it passed the fan (one blade at a time). Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't forget to re-tighten the pulley bolts. Simple.

bingo. Might by handy to note which belt came from which groove on the crank pulley too.

The fan shroud usually gets in my way, so I pull that off real quick and then the belts go over the fan just fine.

Then just fallow warren's advice. Loosen the tensioners and get em' on. Make sure to start with the furthest back belt on the crank pully.

The fan shroud usually gets in my way, so I pull that off real quick and then the belts go over the fan just fine.

Then just fallow warren's advice. Loosen the tensioners and get em' on. Make sure to start with the furthest back belt on the crank pully.

Its not hard to slip the belt over the fan one blade at a time. Don't even have to touch the shroud.

Guest hunanking

Thanks you guys for the replies. I knew I was missing something really obvious and that does make perfect sense.... thanks for the heads up!

Mike