HybridZ

My LT1 needs a LSD

deja

Yikes! I like SSflyer's price better. LOL. I guess these are getting rare.

Damn- That for the complete pumpkin ready to install? Good price. I think I paid AZ Z Car $900 approx. 7 years ago. for an R-200 4:38LSD

ARGGGGGG!!!! Story of my life Wayne. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, LOL.

Darn, Dale! When I sold my 280Z about 2 months ago, I let one go for nothing...sure wish I had known. I'd have given it to you 'cause your such a good guy...sorry about that...

Wayne

I just paid $500 for a R200 with the CV axles. Came from a relatively low-mileage 1988 300ZX Turbo (clutch-type).

You'll have to decide what to do for companion flanges adaptors. You could go with MMS' "cheap" adaptors for $225.

You'll also have to figure out how you're going to get it in there with the vented rear cover. There are a few ways. Basically, putting in a LSD R200 could cost you as little as $50 (guess) or as much as $1000 or more AFTER the R200 purchase. It all depends on how much you can fabricate yourself. (ie $50 is a LOW LOW minimum)

Thanks, I know its not a simple bolt in, its never as easy as you think it should be..

I just paid $500 for a R200 with the CV axles. Came from a relatively low-mileage 1988 300ZX Turbo (clutch-type).

You'll have to decide what to do for companion flanges adaptors. You could go with MMS' "cheap" adaptors for $225.

You'll also have to figure out how you're going to get it in there with the vented rear cover. There are a few ways. Basically, putting in a LSD R200 could cost you as little as $50 (guess) or as much as $1000 or more AFTER the R200 purchase. It all depends on how much you can fabricate yourself. (ie $50 is a LOW LOW minimum)

I have a 280Z. Do need to change the mushtash bar to clear a 280ZX LSD? I guess I need to do some searching here.

im currently running my clsd with just the stock r200 diff cover till i get a different bar for my rear end to clear it.

Not if you use the pumpkin cover from your R-200 open diff in place of the finned 300ZX on the CLSD, If you want to run the finned cover you need to modify/make your own mustache bar or buy one of those nice aluminum ones.

I am running the stock 280 pumpkin cover like jeffer949

I haven't done the CV axle swap yet so am still running the "U" joint axles.

I will use the CV axles from the 300ZX but I think you can also use the CV axles form a 280ZX

The late 1987-1989 Turbo CLSD are getting real hard to find and expensive, I lucked out and stole one from a junkyard with axles and driveshaft for $125 but looked for months on Ebay and would stop bidding when they went past $450 as you can get the Brute Force for around $500 and put it in your open diff. Also a lot of the old Turbo diffs need new clutches anyway so you really have to search and search to find one, It took me 7 months to find mine.

Greg

Thanks guys for clearing that cover thing up. But what is the downside of running the old cover, heat?

I have CV axels but haven't installed them yet. I will if I get the LSD.

Man, you did luck out!

Not if you use the pumpkin cover from your R-200 open diff in place of the finned 300ZX on the CLSD, If you want to run the finned cover you need to modify/make your own mustache bar or buy one of those nice aluminum ones.

I am running the stock 280 pumpkin cover like jeffer949

I haven't done the CV axle swap yet so am still running the "U" joint axles.

I will use the CV axles from the 300ZX but I think you can also use the CV axles form a 280ZX

The late 1987-1989 Turbo CLSD are getting real hard to find and expensive, I lucked out and stole one from a junkyard with axles and driveshaft for $125 but looked for months on Ebay and would stop bidding when they went past $450 as you can get the Brute Force for around $500 and put it in your open diff. Also a lot of the old Turbo diffs need new clutches anyway so you really have to search and search to find one, It took me 7 months to find mine.

Greg

Yep but I still have U-joint half-shafts. I have some CV axels just haven't installed them yet.

Thanks for the compliment, this is new territory for me. Much about Datsuns is so different than anything I've worked on before.

You have a r200 in there already correct?? If so just take the cover off of the current r200 and put it on your lsd and then put it in. Not sure what half-shafts you have though but ive seen your work im sure you can figure it out

Guest 72240Z

You can use the 280z rear cover, and the 280 stub axels, and you need to change the front flange for the one on the 280. You might want to try some Micky Thomson street tires. Just do a good burnout at the strip they will hook up. You might want to try to control how much it squats. Read this post http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120591&highlight=gas

Thanks for the tips and the link. Didn't know about swapping the front flange.

My 60 ft times were pretty weak Sunday, the best was 1.9 which was my best run of course. I had quit a bit of tire spin in the 215 Falkens and the open rear. I have an automatic and left from idle. But I'm not trying to build a drag racer, it will be a daily driver that will occasionally hit the strip. All the other performance cars I have owned had LSD so I know they work so much better for handling too. It would be interesting to try some MTs someday though. Mt suspension is running Tokico lowering springs and struts and is pretty stiff. From what I can see on the video it didn't squat too much.

You can use the 280z rear cover, and the 280 stub axels, and you need to change the front flange for the one on the 280. You might want to try some Micky Thomson street tires. Just do a good burnout at the strip they will hook up. You might want to try to control how much it squats. Read this post http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120591&highlight=gas

Deja,

Just find an LSD center section and install it in your housing.

I'm running an R200 from a 280Z with the Power Brute LSD center, non-finned cover and CV axles in my 240. Since you already have a 280 it should all bolt right in, that is unless you decide to run a finned cover.

If you run the finned cover you'll need to replace the transverse link bar with one that mounts higher to clear it.

It's really not that big a deal if you aren't road racing and generating tons of heat.

The input flange 72240Z was referring to is only pertinent if you buy a later model R200 from a 280ZX or 300ZX. The input flange size is different and won't mate up with the drive shaft flange that JTR sells. If you just replace the center in your existing housing you won't need to change the flange.

Wheelman

That's good information. Looks like having a 280Z will make this easier.

If I choose to go with a Power Brute LSD can I keep my 3.54 gears? I understand the 280zx trubo R200 did not come with 3.54s and I really don't want to go deeper for a street ride.

Dale

Deja,

Just find an LSD center section and install it in your housing.

I'm running an R200 from a 280Z with the Power Brute LSD center, non-finned cover and CV axles in my 240. Since you already have a 280 it should all bolt right in, that is unless you decide to run a finned cover.

If you run the finned cover you'll need to replace the transverse link bar with one that mounts higher to clear it.

It's really not that big a deal if you aren't road racing and generating tons of heat.

The input flange 72240Z was referring to is only pertinent if you buy a later model R200 from a 280ZX or 300ZX. The input flange size is different and won't mate up with the drive shaft flange that JTR sells. If you just replace the center in your existing housing you won't need to change the flange.

Wheelman

You can take the ring gear off the open diff you have in there now and bolt it right on to the Power Brute LSD.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a Power Brute for sale.

It seems the factory that manufactured them was destroyed by a fire or earth quake so they are not made anymore. There are other brands, such as KAAZ, that should work but I have no experience with them. You could also get a Quaife helical diff but they're pretty spendy.

Do some reading in the drive train forum, there's a sticky there that discusses this very issue. There are options but it will take some research the figure out which will work best for you.

Wheelman