HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

MazterDizazter

Hey guys,

I'm going to be swapping an L28ET into my '73 Z with a Z32 transmission. I am considering a carbon fiber driveshaft. It will cost approximately $800, as opposed to ~$300 for a steel (or aluminum?) unit that some people on here are running. The benefits, supposedly, are that it will reduce parasitic drag and aid in responsiveness, and is also safer because if it fails, it will shatter rather than bounce around and possibly enter the passenger area like an aluminum shaft could do (although I thought a driveshaft loop could prevent that from happening?). This is just what I've read; correct me if I'm wrong. My justification for buying one is that it costs about the same as a CF hood, but I'd rather reduce weight on the drivetrain first, and worry about the chassis second. I don't particularly care about the extra cost, as I am sparing no expense.

Thus, I am wondering if anyone here has run a composite driveshaft before (on a Z or something else) and can give me some feedback. Any help would be appreciated!

I just did a google search and found some articles on the effects that the CF driveshaft had.

http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/driveshaft.htm

One of the most interesting effects of the CF is the smoothness, apparently the carbon-fiber acts as a kind of damper for the vibrations from the diff. That would be kind of a cool way of making a DD a little more comfortable if it actually worked. If you actually do this make sure to give us an update, it seems expensive but I like the idea.

The carbon driveshaft has been great. I had an aluminum one before, and I kept breaking the staps on the clutch pressure plate during autocross runs (3X) I switched to the carbon driveshaft and it felt noticable smoother and less jarring when on and off the gas My car is all solid mounts for the diff, and suspension, and urethane for the trans, engine. I also changed clutch styles at the same time, so dont know if it fixed the problem, but have had no clutch issued since. The Yokes were the really nice heavy duty spicers and joints good for 500hp. Its not cheap, but I always believe it is all the little things that add up. As I first mod to your car? dont know if youll see the value, but when getting close to the ragged edge, I think its money well spent.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I proposed it to a couple friends and got nothing but criticism, so that makes me feel a lot better. The only big concern I have is whether or not my diff and axles are going to be able to take the abuse I plan on throwing at them (my goal is over 400hp, mild track duty, weekend fun, maybe auto-x, no drag launches or anything like that), and if I have to upgrade, if I'll have to change the mounting points of the rear end or something, thus compromising my uber-expensive driveshaft. I know the car has LSD, but I don't know which one because the previous owner didn't remember when I asked him.

I believe the 350Z has a carbon fiber driveshaft from factory.

IIRC they said they did it for dampening vibrations and also the fact that it crushes in an accident, and the fact it's lighter than steel or aluminium was an added bonus.

Makes me wonder if getting a 350z shaft and having it modified would be doable/smart.

One thing I have heard is that a cf driveshaft is very sensitive to road stones and things like that. If you get a nick/scratch in it, the shaft will begin to delaminate and eventually come apart on you. I've heard people recommend putting some sort of driveshaft shield in place to prevent stones from hitting it.

One thing I have heard is that a cf driveshaft is very sensitive to road stones and things like that. If you get a nick/scratch in it, the shaft will begin to delaminate and eventually come apart on you. I've heard people recommend putting some sort of driveshaft shield in place to prevent stones from hitting it.

Well, there goes the weight savings out the window!

Wouldn't a simple aluminum panel (can't weigh more than 5 pounds right?) work as a cover for the tunnel? Just need to figure out what on earth to do about the exhaust...

The other alternative would be to shape a piece like this:

driveshaftcoversg5.jpg

that extends from the back of the tranny to the diff.

Doesn't seem like it should add that much weight, and you're adding static weight, not rotating weight.

The AWD Acura RL's came factory with a CF driveshaft too. I wondered when i worked at the Acura dealership if it would be possible to mod it to work, but I don't know the first thing about what would happen to the structural integrity of the part so decided to pass on that plan.

A cover for the driveshaft would actually be awesome, I think. If it were flat, it would help reduce drag under the chassis. One thing I can't stand about FR's is that there's so much junk under the car! I'm used to my MR2 having flat undertrays covering everything under the chassis.

Someone just made that one up, posted it on the Internet, and now its being quoted as true. Composite parts don't delaminate because of a nick. They delaminate due to poor manufacturing.

The driveshaft in my 350Z has a couple scratches in it from going off course at Cal Speedway and Willow Springs. So far, no delaminations and I've run the car up to 150 mph every lap for 5 hours of track time. Doing the math shows a 6,500 rpm driveshaft speed at 150 mph on the 350Z.

Gollum, yep, $265 SHIPPED. They are not custom made, but rather they have all of the measurements already for the driveshaft. They apparently have a supplier that was in Anaheim (I live in Irvine) that had one in stock. I ordered it on Tuesday and received it on Wednesday.

They have the 280zx turbo driveshaft too for $265 shipped if I remember correctly.