HybridZ

Post your RB Tranny mounts :D

JDM RICE

Specifically the later S30s, I think I've got the 3rd version of the tranny mounts in my 78'

I'm looking to get some ideas when I begin to fab the mounts.

Ive got the Rick Wong mounts, and the way the motor sits, I had to remove the OEM tunnel brackets to clear the tranny and speed sensor. So I guess I'm starting from scratch.

Anyways, I'm looking to get some ideas. I'm looking for simplicity and strength..if there is such a thing :cool:

I cheated with mine, I took a plasma torch out cut off the old ears, patched the holes up then re welded the ears a bit further back in order to work with the old tranny mount. It was kind of a quick and dirty fix, but it works fin and looks stock ish too !

I cheated with mine, I took a plasma torch out cut off the old ears, patched the holes up then re welded the ears a bit further back in order to work with the old tranny mount. It was kind of a quick and dirty fix, but it works fin and looks stock ish too !

Most people put bolts through the both holes side by side, relocating is something people will "get to" in the future, so I think you're already where most want to be in that respect to the mounts. LOL

:D

here is what i made i chiseled off the old ones and welded it on to plates

Photo_050607_002.jpg

Photo_050607_001.jpg

in the pics u can kinda see where i redrilled the stock z cross member to use the rb tranny mount. My 280 had a kinda frame that ran from one side up over to the other side that the mount was originally welded to.

Enclosed are a few photos of my transmission mount. I cut the transmission tunnel ears off and built from scratch. I modified the mount to allow a 3" exhaust above the mount, added extra bracing and drilled holes to "add lightness" before painting and after the shot with the mount in the car.

P1200716_thumb.jpg

P1200720_thumb.jpg

P3260837_thumb.jpg

P3260840_thumb.jpg

P3260841_thumb.jpg

Hi, heres a few pics of my gearbox mount. i didnt want to mutilate my original mounts so fabbed up a new one that meant i didnt have to cut the 'ears' of in the tunnel and reweld them. Just bought some prothane bushes and then made the new crossmember with all the right amount of offset etc. fits the rb isolator.P1010548_thumb.JPGP1010549_thumb.JPGP1010550_thumb.JPG

I have not made mine yet but plan to do with 260zman did however I will modify/make mine to take the energy suspension GM gearbox mount as this is a captive mount. I figured if I have to make something why not use a good mount that is easy to replace and that does fit on the RB box with no issues and the GM mount is fine for the job :)

Actually, that mount is a completely new fabrication. i didnt want to rape any of my original stuff, so had to make new! the isolator or mount that bolts to that is a GM one, i went to our local parts outfit(repco) and just went through their catologue.

To make this cross member it involved drawing it up to get true cutting lengths and then i just folded up a 3mm channel, cut and welded it to right angles, and then closed in the bottom with another 3mm plate.

First i made a jig to fit the old original crossmember bolts. so that when the new one was made i could ensure that it would still fit and line up.

The pipe on the ends is just 1" black pipe, the rubber bushes fit perfect!!

Actually, that mount is a completely new fabrication. i didnt want to rape any of my original stuff, so had to make new! the isolator or mount that bolts to that is a GM one, i went to our local parts outfit(repco) and just went through their catologue.

To make this cross member it involved drawing it up to get true cutting lengths and then i just folded up a 3mm channel, cut and welded it to right angles, and then closed in the bottom with another 3mm plate.

First i made a jig to fit the old original crossmember bolts. so that when the new one was made i could ensure that it would still fit and line up.

The pipe on the ends is just 1" black pipe, the rubber bushes fit perfect!!

That's a great method! How did u bend the pipe yourself, if so?

and where'd you get the bushings?

That's a great method! How did u bend the pipe yourself, if so?

and where'd you get the bushings?

The bushings i got from our local car parts shop, just asked them if i could scrounge through there range of bushes, and had my trusty Mitutoyo vernier callipers with me, kept looking and measuring until i found correct ones.

The only pipe i used was welded each end of cross member, so the pipe itself didnt need bending. The channel though- that had to be bent. i just pressed up a channel which was about 18" long (straight) and then cut and welded it to correct angle (a little bit of a mission). and thats about it. i found it all pretty easy due to having a complete workshop available after work :D and sometimes during work if i'm crafty.