HybridZ

LIMITED SLIP DIFFS COMING SOON!!

Guest Anonymous

The way this one works is kind of confusing, it has a big bar and a slot in the center . When one wheel slips in a straight line the bar goes into the slot and locks both sides . On a turn the outside wheel must turn faster unlocking the bar from the groove, which unlocks the wheels . It has springs to give a smooth unlock/locking . A normal locker has ratcheting teeth .

I am pretty sure that you wouldn't want either in a sports car . Both would upset handling and transitions in and out of corners .

When I spoke earlier I though you were talking about a clutch type, my bad .

Glad that got cleared up, I think it was the 'limited' slip word in the subject that helped with the misconception as their's nothing limited about it, on or off with an improved transition. Nothing for healthy cornering.

I've got some dyno LT1 figures from my friends but yet to put gather them up to post...

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

mike: I just got a pile of lsd parts, which should include a finned cover. If so, it will probably be an extra. You can buy the tapped nismo cover you know.... or tap a smooth cover for a cooler.... Both will get you more oil capacity and lower temps.

Anything wrong with using the two tapped/plug holes on the finned cover for a cooler? Return line thru the upper hole and supply out the bottom? Any tendency from diff fluid to 'foam'? If it's like engine oil it should be fine.......or? They don't interfere with the diff mount, not sure what best connxn would be on the upper line to allow one to check the diff fluid level though.....

Guest Anonymous

The nismo housing has tapped holes for cooling lines. ie. 4 tapped holes in the cover. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the drain/fill holes to do it, but nissan didn't for a reason. Perhaps the only reason they didn't is for grond clearance on the drain line? I dunno...

Other than ground clearance I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

I need to get another NISMO catalog, like many other things in my collection, it grew legs.

That cover sounds cool, but I'd also thing using the drain and fill plugs would also do the trick... One issue with the finned cover is it allows for additional fluid to aid in cooling (How much though really?) so maybe the smart thing to do would just be buy a cooler and pump! Any of you guys using one?

Mike

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - I contacted Powertrax and they said that they would be available mid-year, or towards the end of the year.

There is a test/review in the December 2000 Car Craft on page 76/77. They said, "Going around turns, the No-slip design unlocked and produced smooth transitions. Simply said...we like."

For those of us who are not hard core straight line racers, or road racers it seems like this would be a reasonable and cost effective option....

Alright for a chevy nova, but I think just a plain old LSD would better suit the car . Most people, many people don't realize how fast they take corners in the Z, until the get in a different vehicle . People who follow me are like " You really whizzed through that corner!!" Hmm I don't remember driving that fast .

The powertraxx is definataley better than a locker or going with a welded diff .

quote:

Originally posted by Greg SmileZ:

FYI - I contacted Powertrax and they said that they would be available mid-year, or towards the end of the year.

There is a test/review in the December 2000 Car Craft on page 76/77. They said, "Going around turns, the No-slip design unlocked and produced smooth transitions. Simply said...we like."

For those of us who are not hard core straight line racers, or road racers it seems like this would be a reasonable and cost effective option....

I've always enjoyed the traction of a Z in straight line action with it's OEM open diff/suspension. If you're not buying the powertrax for hard core straight line (and you'd have to be to benefit above OEM setup) then what are you buying it for? When I got my clutch LSD I got it for far greater cornering control and traction which was the main advantage flogged at me by others and still remains my main appreciation for it.

just my .02c

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

quote:

Originally posted by ellobo97:

Just off the press!! Power trax is making a No-Slip Traction System for the r200. IT will be out ealier this year, so everyone get out there and contact them (
) and show them interest so that we can get it made sooner. Approimate price is 300. Just thought I'd share the wealth. Let me know if anyone else hears stuff as well.

sean

Sean, let me play Cassandra for a moment. The effect of a power trax no slip is that it creates a solid lock between both axels. This is great for slow off-roading or drag cars. You get 100% torque to both wheels, right NOW. A great effect for 1/4 mile drags, but this can be a problem if you're driving in slick weather around curves. When the unit engages the rear will want to push straight ahead. This is the effect you see when flat tracking modified hit corners 1,2,3 &4. The rear end moves out and you steer with power. I am told by the off-road crowd that buys me beer that these units engage with both acceleration and deceleration. This could be hairy if you're driving the canyon at 90% and hit trailing throttle or the brakes. My personal experience with a 426ci Windsor, C6, and 9inch ford equipped with a very similar unit was great straight away traction and un-predicable handling over wet or snowy curves. The curves in question was the drive from Sacrament CA over the Sierra's to Reno. Before I put one of these into a Silver State run car, I'd have a long talk with some auto X drivers and then I'd buy the unit and take out life insurance, a lot of life insurance.

------------------

• 3 years later...
Guest Anonymous

Digging up a long dead post, but I can't find any info for buying a PowerTrax locker for the R200.

If I missed something, please let me know.

Also, has anyone used one in a Z yet? If so, results, likes/dislikes?

Thanks!!

I can't tell you if its available yet, Ford Assassin, but I used to sell these for 4x4's, and I can tell you that Ross was exactly right in his comments on the previous page. Basically it is a smoother "lunchbox locker" like an EZ locker or a Lock Right without the huge clunks going around turns. From what I heard back from customers they weren't totally smoother either, there was still some light clunking going on. Would be great for drag and lots of guys use lockers for road racing, but it is on/off, no in between so probably not the best for street driving. Not sure what kind of action your Z will be seeing.