HybridZ

300ZXT CV Issue

gnosez

Ok spent 15 minutes today in the garage between normal house hold jobs and visitors.

I already have MM 300zxt/260z/280z companion flanges so I am using the 300zxt 4 bolt joint at the wheel end on these axles (same spline/size). Now as the short nose R200 diff I picked up has the 6 bolts in the 3 x 2 arrangement I am using the same matching 3 x 2 setup on the other end of the axle.

I have found that vehicle I sourced these axles from come in two types. Both have the same length shafts in the centre so no issues there. One type has the 3 x 2 tri pod setup at the diff end with the other having the 5 x 1 star setup (aka like the 300zx open na diffs)

The shafts in the centre are different between the two as the 5x1 star setup has the same spline/size on both ends where as the 3x2 setup has a smaller spline (same count) on this tri-pod CV end (hope that make sense)

I have used the 300zxt specs I posted earlier as my guide to see if this hybrid axle will be shorter so I need my setup to be shorter than 409.5mm (ie compressed short side 300zxt axle) So if you do the flip cv race trick you make the axles 9.5mm shorter if the 3/8" statement on MM site is true so now I am looking for a setup less than 400mm.

I put the axle together without the c-clips due the time limits I had today but you get the idea looking at the pics and the measurements. I took my measurements at the same points as the spec sheets attached above - ie from the bolt/mounting point at the wheel end to the seal end of the plug-in axle - again all working on the short side.

Result is a length of 395mm or 14.5mm shorter than a compressed standard 300zxt short size shaft and 5mm shorter than a flipped race setup = should not bind at all.

As my car is still a body shell with no running gear I can't do a test install but going by the numbers all will be good.

Ok pic time - I have also included a pic of the 5 x 1 star from the other axle for reference. Also I have a pic of the 5 x 1 centre shaft next to the stock 300zxt long side shaft.

hybrid-axle#1_thumb.jpg

hybrid-axle#3_thumb.jpg

hybrid-axle#7_thumb.jpg

hybrid-axle#4_thumb.jpg

hybrid-axle#9_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On those shorter axles you found, what does the 5 bolt star pattern axle look like before you remove anything? Whats on the other end of it?

BTW, thanks very much for that info you provided.

Ok spent 15 minutes today in the garage between normal house hold jobs and visitors.

I already have MM 300zxt/260z/280z companion flanges so I am using the 300zxt 4 bolt joint at the wheel end on these axles (same spline/size). Now as the short nose R200 diff I picked up has the 6 bolts in the 3 x 2 arrangement I am using the same matching 3 x 2 setup on the other end of the axle.

I have found that vehicle I sourced these axles from come in two types. Both have the same length shafts in the centre so no issues there. One type has the 3 x 2 tri pod setup at the diff end with the other having the 5 x 1 star setup (aka like the 300zx open na diffs)

The shafts in the centre are different between the two as the 5x1 star setup has the same spline/size on both ends where as the 3x2 setup has a smaller spline (same count) on this tri-pod CV end (hope that make sense)

I have used the 300zxt specs I posted earlier as my guide to see if this hybrid axle will be shorter so I need my setup to be shorter than 409.5mm (ie compressed short side 300zxt axle) So if you do the flip cv race trick you make the axles 9.5mm shorter if the 3/8" statement on MM site is true so now I am looking for a setup less than 400mm.

I put the axle together without the c-clips due the time limits I had today but you get the idea looking at the pics and the measurements. I took my measurements at the same points as the spec sheets attached above - ie from the bolt/mounting point at the wheel end to the seal end of the plug-in axle - again all working on the short side.

Result is a length of 395mm or 14.5mm shorter than a compressed standard 300zxt short size shaft and 5mm shorter than a flipped race setup = should not bind at all.

As my car is still a body shell with no running gear I can't do a test install but going by the numbers all will be good.

Ok pic time - I have also included a pic of the 5 x 1 star from the other axle for reference. Also I have a pic of the 5 x 1 centre shaft next to the stock 300zxt long side shaft.

On those shorter axles you found, what does the 5 bolt star pattern axle look like before you remove anything? Whats on the other end of it?

BTW, thanks very much for that info you provided.

Big and long as it goes though the front wheels of the donor Nissan 4x4 vehicle. Here is pic of the donor axle

666051-01.jpg

• 5 months later...

Bringing back this thread:

I'm installing my cvs right now. And cant get the driver side in. Dont want to force it in either. But I have to questions/concerns. The driver side CV shaft doesn't look like its going all the way into the diff. I Pushed it in as hard as I could and it looks like its still a little out (compared to the passenger side anyway).

1- For those who cut off a little off the end of the driver side cv shaft. Did this help? Right now the shaft keeps popping out the end cap when I try to push it into place.

2-I had no issues with the passenger side. I was wondering if we can use another passenger side cv on the driver side (probably wouldn't even need to be flipped)? Any one see a problem with this?

3- Did anyone run into the problem where the cv doesnt fit all the way into the diff on the driver side? Seems to be bottoming out. Could I cut this side off as well? (hugh did this in his zx conversion).

diff_4.JPG

• 1 year later...