HybridZ

K and N Oil filters

zmaster

saw a review stating that wix and purolator were the best.

purolator pur 1 being the most restrictive but best at filtering.

mobil 1 being synthetic like K&N, but cheaply constructed.

TRU-FILTER is probably what i will run on my car.

200 bucks, but it lasts the life of the car, so......

K&N and Mobil are both made by Champion Labs. I believe the internal filtration elements are slightly different between the two.

Here is a link to an analysis of oil filter efficiency: http://sterkel.org/systems%2Dengineering%2Dassociates.com/papers/avocations/Filter_Element_Efficiency.pdf

This is a link to the ensuing discussion on Bob-is-the-oil-guy forums http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1079565&fpart=2 These people are pretty serious about their oil and the filters they use.

The only other notable thing about the K&N filters is that is does have a nut welded to the top of it for purposes of placing a socket or wrench onto it to tighten/loosen it. It also has a small hole in the nut so that you can string a wire through it so that if it somehow works itself off of your engine it won't fall out onto the track/road.

I myself use Purolator Pure One filters. I've tried the K&N filters and they certainly do the job, but I usually don't want to justify the cost of them or the Mobil 1 filters. Occasionally Advance Auto has an "oil change special" where I can get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for a pretty good price.

When I put the l-28 in I plugged the oil filter bypass valve in the block and installed an auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge.Since the bypass is plugged all the oil has to go though the filter,so when the engine is cold the pressure is really high.The reason I like the K&N is the filter body is very thick,extra insurance against the filter blowing off the engine.

One other thing I noticed about an 8 or 10 psi differance with the K&N over the phram hp1 same filter you can use on a ford.I also look for the pressure differance between oil changes,when I loose 10 psi at highway speed its time for an oil change,this takes about 4500 miles.

IMO if the filter comes loose, safety wire ain't going to help you, if it's loose, by the time you notice it, it'll be hasta la vista to the motor. Cleaning filters doesn't seem practical, but if you have the capability it might be a different story.

crock of s*** or worth the 10 bucks at advanced auto? whats everyone opinion? I had one on my oldsmobile and I guess it worked good. I'm putting one on my z either way, and running royal purple full synthetic oil.

I work for Advance. the K&N oil filter is rated at 99 or 99.3%(cant remember which off the top of my head) the Mobil 1 oil filter(at 99.8% efficiency i believe) is the only one that is better. At least at Advance.

I work for Advance. the K&N oil filter is rated at 99 or 99.3%(cant remember which off the top of my head) the Mobil 1 oil filter(at 99.8% efficiency i believe) is the only one that is better. At least at Advance.

rated by the marketing team and rated by people who do independent tests are two different things.

there are a number of sites illustrating how many paper filters are better made and better filtering than both synthetic competitors.