HybridZ

77 280z restoration project

shift00

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately i couldn't tell you if its durable, because this is the first time i've done it. I've heard both good and bad things about undercoat, but it all depends on the preparation before putting it on just like everything else.

Take your time, do it right.

The ITM gasket set has a good head gasket, but the valve cover/oil pan, and intake/exhast gaskets are kind of cheap. It takes a lot of patience to get the deformed cork oil pan gasket on there right. And the cork valve cover gasket is not worth even using. Mine lasted less than on track day, and it made a mess when it let go.

hey joe,

figured i would chime in real quick.

The parts look good but just a fyi. I wouldn't get the brake dust shield powder coated until after you get the brakes sort of mocked up. You are gonna end up trimming the dust shield when you install the Toyota 4x4 calipers as they are obviously larger than the stock calipers.

I guess I forgot to tell you this cause I didn't install any shields, as mine were missing when i got the car

The project looks like it is coming along pretty good... keep it up and you'll have it done in no time.

Kevin

I broke a cam tower bolt as i was torqueing it down, to the minimum torque spec at 25 ft pounds! So i had to take all the rocker arms and mouse traps off and go order a bolt for it, so it should be in within the next couple day and I can go ahead put the head back together. Also i was wondering if anyone has any tech tips on how to realighn the cam journels with the cam towers? New info on this might prove to be useful!

The journals are align-honed at the factory, so you must put the cam towers back in the same order as when they came from the factory.

I put the cam towers on loose with the bolts just started. Then I insert the cam with plenty of oil on all the journals. The cam should spin freely without any binding. Then start snugging down the tower bolts using the correct order. After you snug each bolt, make sure the cam still spins freely. Continue to snug down each bolt checking cam movement. Once all the bolts are snugged, torque them to spec, again checking for cam movement after torquing each bolt.

thanks Z-ya, Thats what is did and i had the cam towers marked before i took them off and put them back on in order, but there was still binding on two of the towers. I read im my book and it said if it didn't alighn than hit it vertically with a soft mallet, but that didn't work so i think im gonna' try it again and if it doesn't alighn than im guess i will just have to bite the bullet and get it alighnbored.

i bought the tokico hp set up from my car and i put the springs on without any spring compressor tools and i have a finger gap as you can see below in one of the pic's... Since it saturday i can't call and confirm that these are the right springs, but is this natural to have such a hung slop with that spring? i can't go any further until i know that these are the right springs and what i have to do. thanks for the help guys.

Picture 155_thumb.jpg

Picture 156_thumb.jpg

Picture 157_thumb.jpg