HybridZ

77 280z restoration project

shift00

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so this is the panel i made for the back of the car... I still have some future plans for it, but this is a rough draft. In the last pic you will see that i put the lights in, buts thats not how is gonna be. I will put in a 1 1/4 flat bar in the I.D. so the lights will be recessed back. 

DSCN1103_thumb.JPG

DSCN1106_thumb.JPG

DSCN1109_thumb.JPG

DSCN1112_thumb.JPG

DSCN1114_thumb.JPG

DSCN1116_thumb.JPG

Edited by shift00

The engine looks great. Clean, but not over done.

Looks like it's too late, but just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there. I normally don't like custom tail light panels, since, in my opinion, they lack shape and are a bit bland. So I was thinking, how would it look if you bought two 240z tail light surrounds, welded them to the car, ground them flush, etc., and welded in a flat piece of sheet in the opening, and mounted your lights there?

The wheels may grow on me. I'll need to see the car done.

well, if your talking about the 240g kl series, I don't think in my opinion that it would look good. looks a little to retro for the car, but at least you can forward to future plans on your tail lights, haha. Also, with my set-up the tailights will be frenched making it look like theres a little more going on, which i think that you might like.

I like the wheels but then again my wheels are just the modern version of the cragars. I have never been a fan of white lettering though.... just personal preference.

I think the cars stance and color will make or break the wheels though.

I'm sure it will come out great.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing some very impressive work on your car. If the paint & body come out looking as good as the engine bay, well let's just say that I think everyone will be impressed.

Many will have mixed opinions about the Cragars and the rear lights, but who cares? I think the execution is almost more important than the modification itself in most cases.

:D you should have posted in the Member's Project's forum :D

Davy

Thats what i though, but i didn't know for sure...let me tell you what though once you put swaybar in on one side it it hell trying to put it in the other...the best way i found to do it was use a visegrip clamp underneath the trasferlink and on top of the swaybar and compress. Also found that getting the shock on when the ball joint isn't mounted to the bottom of the shock was pretty tough as well, but if you take some channellocks and twist the part that the tie rod mounts to...you can control it pretty easy.

Actually, it's super easy to do it on the ground when the weight of the car compresses everything. Sway bar is extremley easy to tighten up that way.

just fyi. Mine would also sit unlevel unless i tightened everything down on the ground aswell. (weird i know but it did)

-Ed

whoa... thanks davyz. that means alot coming from a guy that does as good of work as you! I know i should have posted it on the members project forum, but I did it before i knew this forum even had such a thing.

Well, my boom truck driver left for a week so i havent been doing any work since, which equals long nights on the car and heres some thing i have done.

DSCN1149_thumb.JPG

DSCN1158_thumb.JPG

DSCN1160_thumb.JPG

DSCN1165_thumb.JPG

DSCN1167_thumb.JPG

DSCN1168_thumb.JPG

DSCN1169_thumb.JPG

DSCN1171_thumb.JPG

DSCN1172_thumb.JPG

DSCN1175_thumb.JPG

Davyz im about ready to start messing with the stock fuel tank and I was reading in a different thread that you can modify it to where its not sticking down 6 inches past the roll pan. how do you do something like that? Have any pics?

thank Joe

Davyz im about ready to start messing with the stock fuel tank and I was reading in a different thread that you can modify it to where its not sticking down 6 inches past the roll pan. how do you do something like that? Have any pics?

thank Joe

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113508&page=13

Joe, page 13 has an example of a tank that was modified with a sump, BUT it still is relatively stock. I have not modified a stock tank to the same degree as what you are looking to do. MY guess would be that the tank be sectioned by a reputable place or the rear deck floor modified (I would do for former, not the latter, but it's a matter of choice). There are other threads dealing with the tank, but those are someplace here in the archives.

whoa... thanks davyz. that means alot coming from a guy that does as good of work as you!

You give me far too much credit and there's too many rumors going around that I can't live up to! Your work so far, is much better than mine...keep it up!! :2thumbs:

Davy

Shift00, great progress. Did you get the engine pulleys and stuff all powdercoated?

the only pulley i powdercoated was the fan pulley.. the harmonic balancer was left alone, because of the rubber seal and the alternator was replace with a crome one from schucks auto.