HybridZ

Gas prices are crazy! turbo biodiesel?

240zwannabe

anybody think about doing this? i'm seriously considering it! both my rx7 and Z run on premium, so i've decided to ditch the 2jz build i've got going and find me a 83 ld28 and make my own biodiesel. for under a $1/gallon you can't beat that. but, yeah, the point of this thread...will the p90a turbo manifold swap to whatever head may be on the diesel motor? i know absolutely nothing of the ld except for the knowledge of the crank when i was considering the l31et build. i did a search but very very very few results were found concerning biodiesel. anybody and everybody will be of help, thanks again guys.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Biodiesel, but CNG (120 Octane+) is going for about $2.40 a gallon equivalent at the station by the house. And if you buck up the $1500 for the home slow-fill setup, it's closer to .40 a gallon...

But BioDiesel is good. I guess. Use the new Frontier Direct Injection V6 3L Turbo Engine... Nice power-up chipping potential.

LD is old-tech, non computer controlled Diesel. Very limited with what you can do...

If you want a turbo edition, bet on getting one from a Forklift with the Turbo and Manifold already on it, along with the properly anneriod-controlled fuel pump setup.

I have an interest in this as well. My father is part owner of a small local chain of 7 grocery stores. I have access to all of the cooking oil from these stores. I haven't been able to utilize any of this oil due to my lack of the proper equipment and a diesel rig. Should I go for it since I have a good consistent hookup. What would be a good entry level entrance to this? I wanted to get a diesel vw rabbit, but they sell for $2500 around here.

Justin

SVO is the best stuff to use if you want to be cheap. Straight Vegetable Oil. on mythbusters they wanted to see how well it would work in an 80's deisel car. it got slightly less MPG (not too much) BUT ran perfectly fine. and they did NOTHING to the vegetable oil. All they did was filter out all the nasty chunks that get into it. Honestly, if cost of gas was an issue, I'd swap out even a stock LD28 into my 280z and run SVO. Fast food places are EVERYWHERE and normally they PAY people to take all their used veggie oil away. In a way, you're doing them a favor by taking their used oil.

but straight veggie oil WILL work in a stock unmodified car, without ANY problems besides a slight decrease in efficiency and probably a slight drop in power. BUT if you want to save money, go for it.

I don't know about Biodiesel, but CNG (120 Octane+) is going for about $2.40 a gallon equivalent at the station by the house. And if you buck up the $1500 for the home slow-fill setup, it's closer to .40 a gallon...

But BioDiesel is good. I guess. Use the new Frontier Direct Injection V6 3L Turbo Engine... Nice power-up chipping potential.

LD is old-tech, non computer controlled Diesel. Very limited with what you can do...

If you want a turbo edition, bet on getting one from a Forklift with the Turbo and Manifold already on it, along with the properly anneriod-controlled fuel pump setup.

whoa whoa whoa. What is this CNG you speak of?

SVO is the best stuff to use if you want to be cheap. Straight Vegetable Oil. on mythbusters they wanted to see how well it would work in an 80's deisel car. it got slightly less MPG (not too much) BUT ran perfectly fine. and they did NOTHING to the vegetable oil. All they did was filter out all the nasty chunks that get into it. Honestly, if cost of gas was an issue, I'd swap out even a stock LD28 into my 280z and run SVO. Fast food places are EVERYWHERE and normally they PAY people to take all their used veggie oil away. In a way, you're doing them a favor by taking their used oil.

but straight veggie oil WILL work in a stock unmodified car, without ANY problems besides a slight decrease in efficiency and probably a slight drop in power. BUT if you want to save money, go for it.

Your post could not be more wrong. Resturants DO NOT pay to have their grease taken away, they are paid for it! I should know, I pick up cooking oil at resturants and have to pay for it. And yes, they did run the Merceded on SVO for about 30 miles or one gallon. But you need a dual tank set up to properly run SVO in a diesel engine.

And Biodiesel will cost you more like 1.50 a gallon, as methanol is at $5.00 a gallon in most places, and thats before you add the cost of the catalyst.

Your post could not be more wrong. Resturants DO NOT pay to have their grease taken away, they are paid for it! I should know, I pick up cooking oil at resturants and have to pay for it. And yes, they did run the Merceded on SVO for about 30 miles or one gallon. But you need a dual tank set up to properly run SVO in a diesel engine.

And Biodiesel will cost you more like 1.50 a gallon, as methanol is at $5.00 a gallon in most places, and thats before you add the cost of the catalyst.

If anyone wants to actually talk to someone who has made thousands of gallons of biodiesel, pm me. Tons of bad info about wvo costs, svo usage, and biodiesel in general on the internet.

Sparks, I have a local source of methanol that is significantly cheaper then that. Lemme know if you want the number. You can buy VP methanol for less then 5/gal.

Evan

I get it at 3.20 a gallon 4000 gallon tanker load at a time. I am saying most homebrewers can only buy it a $5 a gallon, after shipping and some fees.

I get it at 3.20 a gallon 4000 gallon tanker load at a time. I am saying most homebrewers can only buy it a $5 a gallon, after shipping and some fees.

So Sparks,

What would I need to do to use all this "free" vegetable oil that I can get? Would it be bad to start collecting it in 55 gallon drums until I'm ready to use it? I could fill up my storage space with 1000gallons of the stuff over the next 3-4 months while I'm working out the rest of the details.

Regards,

Justin

I can get it at that price in 5 gallon increments. Its a place in northern IL if anyone is interested PM me and Ill try looking up the guys info.

Evan

whoa whoa whoa. What is this CNG you speak of?

I may be wrong, but CNG sounds like Compressed Natural Gas (Methane = CH4). The stuff that is piped into some houses (like mine).

It is different than say LP (Liquid Propane) that you see at the filling stations for your barbeque or RV.

The Methane molecule = 1 carbon atom + four hydrogen atoms whereas the Propane molecule = 3 carbon atoms + eight hydrogen atoms. Plus the states are different (gas versus liquid)