HybridZ

the term "Hybrid"

JohnG

Maybe I think too much, but our use of the term "hybrid" is correct. The so-called hybrids being created by the manufacturers are not real hybrids--they are dual-powered vehicles. Webster defines "hybrid" as "anything of mixed origin". We create a true hybrid when we install a Chevy, Ford, etc. drivetrain into our Datsuns/Nissans.

But now, at car cruises, when guys see the "Hybrid Z--When Stock Just Don't Cut It" decal on the rear-quarter window of my 240Z/406, they ask "Um...does this thing have an electric motor too?" Sheeeesh.

Had to get this off my chest. Keep up the good work, guys!

drdiabetezx66x,

No change to OUR logo....we're the ones who are right.

And we certainly won't get the manufacturers to admit they're wrong. Their misuse of the term "hybrid" is too embedded by now.

Just a pet peeve.

---JohnG

I see the point that the term "Hybrid" has changed quite a bit with the introduction of the Prius, etc. The difference is Hybrid car versus Hybrid power sourced engine.

I agree with Challenger, Hybrid encompasses a lot more than just cars. Hybrid corn has been around since the 1930's for instance.

Even if a Nissan / Datsun has an engine from a different Nissan, I still consider it a hybrid even though it is not even from a different car manufacturer.

My 280ZXT has the original L28ET engine, yet it has a Wolf EMS, RX7 injectors, Audi A6 air temp sensor, Chevy truck coils, Porsche fuel pump, etc. I consider it as a Hybrid too. :P

I see the point that the term "Hybrid" has changed quite a bit with the introduction of the Prius, etc. The difference is Hybrid car versus Hybrid power sourced engine.

I agree with Challenger, Hybrid encompasses a lot more than just cars. Hybrid corn has been around since the 1930's for instance.

Yes, the term to describe the Prius, and other hybrid vehicles is completly correct.

Even if a Nissan / Datsun has an engine from a different Nissan, I still consider it a hybrid even though it is not even from a different car manufacturer.

Sweet, that means I bought a HybridZ. :D '73 240 with '81 to '82 280ZX engine. ;)

Sweet, that means I bought a HybridZ. :D '73 240 with '81 to '82 280ZX engine. ;)

You got me on that one Six_Shooter. Good point.

The different displacement L-Series is kind of a borderline to me. I was thinking more like RB, VH, VQ, VG, SR, KA, MN etc. swap in a Z. :flamedevi:burnout:

My 280ZXT has the original L28ET engine, yet it has a Wolf EMS, RX7 injectors, Audi A6 air temp sensor, Chevy truck coils, Porsche fuel pump, etc. I consider it as a Hybrid too. :P

im not trying to high jack here but, what chevy truck coils? pm me please.

But now, at car cruises, when guys see the "Hybrid Z--When Stock Just Don't Cut It" decal on the rear-quarter window of my 240Z/406, they ask "Um...does this thing have an electric motor too?" Sheeeesh.

Just tell them "Yes, it has 4 electric motors"......

....one for the fan blower, one for the wipers, one for the wiper water squirter, and one to start the engine.