HybridZ

new n42 intake. now its idles erratically

Heat soaking of the fuel rail / injectors? Do you have a heat shield on the intake manifold, or a thermal coating on the exhaust manifold?

My l28ET has lean running problems and high idle if I start it maybe 5-20 minutes it after it has been run hard.

You can remove EGR, AAC, VCV, even the air regulator if you like. I have not put on my egrless N42 yet, but I'm going to eventually, but I have removed the EGR, AAC, and the VCV. Immediately after doing that my car would idle super low, around 500. It would get shaky and want to die. I needed to up the idle which helped solve the issue.

If the car runs fine when cold and you still have an air regulator that would probably be your answer. Air Regulator open while cold, car has extra air to keep idle up and not have problems. Once warmed up air regulator closes your idle is extremely low and will barely keep the car going.

You will need to adjust your idle via the throttle stop screw on the side of the throttle body. There is an 8mm nut that holds the screw in place. I found by working with the nut I was just able to get the screw to turn enough that I was able to raise my idle. Car currently idles right around 700-750ish.

I had this problem with mine. Mine would get warm and and when i'd boost it would push the fuel injectors out from the little hold downs because mine were wore out. If that makes sense, its kinda hard to explain. Are you having the problem after you drive it or just when it warms up in your driveway?

• 2 weeks later...

it drives fine. it bounces between 750 and 900. you can really hear it because it is strait piped. it only really does it after i floor under load. it never wants to die. my non turbo stays steady just under 1000. im trying to make it the same. i had to adjust when i first put it on to keep it started. it has good power. it goes faster than before. it dynoed at 217 hp 244 tq at the flyweel. strange?

My ZXT had the breathing thing going on when I didn't have the vacuum lines for the VCM hooked up correctly. As I've learned you don't need any of those. I've blocked off pretty much everything on the ZXT intake. With the N42 being so limited in vacuum ports all you really would need to have hooked up is the Fuel Pressure Regulator, Brake Booster, and the optional charcoal canister if you don't want any extra gas fumes.

One thing that just came to mind, if you didn't hook up the charcoal canister, there is a little port on the underside of the throttle body for hooking up one of the charcoal canister lines. If you don't happen to have anything hooked to it, there would be a vacuum leak.

My ZXT had the breathing thing going on when I didn't have the vacuum lines for the VCM hooked up correctly. As I've learned you don't need any of those. I've blocked off pretty much everything on the ZXT intake. With the N42 being so limited in vacuum ports all you really would need to have hooked up is the Fuel Pressure Regulator, Brake Booster, and the optional charcoal canister if you don't want any extra gas fumes.

One thing that just came to mind, if you didn't hook up the charcoal canister, there is a little port on the underside of the throttle body for hooking up one of the charcoal canister lines. If you don't happen to have anything hooked to it, there would be a vacuum leak.

That port only draws vacuum when the throttle plate is open.

i too am haning problems with my n42, its on a non turbo and i just put it on and i had a vac leak but fixed it. i dont have an aac valve b/c i put a 240sx tb on it with the trigger style tps. it has a rough idle, no power and when wide open it stalls out. any suggestions?

i too am haning problems with my n42, its on a non turbo and i just put it on and i had a vac leak but fixed it. i dont have an aac valve b/c i put a 240sx tb on it with the trigger style tps. it has a rough idle, no power and when wide open it stalls out. any suggestions?

What do you mean by trigger style TPS? And what ECU do you have running this?

• 2 months later...