HybridZ

Sump Plug Horror

Bishopsrock

After 3 years I'm finally about to try to start the engine but can't because I don't have the correct sump plug - can you imagine how i'm feeling now!!!

I have tried a standard large Nissan plug (right size but wrong thread) and a small 200zr plug (too small & wobbles around in the hole) but neither will fit. The size of the hole appears to be approx 14mm.

Please can anyone help identify the sump plug I need?

The sump part number is 11110-20P00 Oil Pan (Rear Sump). I got the part number off this forum and ordered it from Courtesy Nissan.

Please can anyone help with:-

A part number for the plug?

A description of the size & thread?

OR A car that was fitted with the sump plug I need?

Thanks

Thanks for the extra info Careless - I very much appreciate all your help with this.

I am now off out in the pouring rain to the breakers yard - the only thing standing in the way of me and my first attempt to start the car is this ****ing sump plug. I started the project in December 2005 and I just can't wait any longer!!!

Cheers

Thanks Careless but I have just pulled a plug from the Micra engine on your list and it is still the wrong size plug. Looks like it will fit and even starts to turn but after a quarter of a turn it begins to tighten up and then very quickly locks solid.

Below is a pick of the two new off the shelf plugs that I have also tried. I put two brass connectors next to them to give an idea of size. The larger one is the same as the Micra Engine plug that I pulled today.

28042008023.jpg

Below is a picture of the outside of the sump - just in case anyone recognizes it?

28042008014.jpg

Finally here below are two pics of the threaded section.

IMGP3069.jpg

You can see below that there is a narrowing of the hole to form a seat against which I suppose the shaft of the plug should connect?

IMGP3076.jpg

This really is less simple than it appears!

Careless - thanks for all your help to date - any new ideas?

The last thing I want to have to do is rip the sump off - but its not looking good is it?

Thanks

Hmmmm, this is interesting. On my sump which is the rb20det pan on a rb25det, the hole you are trying to plug is plugged from the factory on mine. Its threaded and everything and even looks like it needs something, however I noticed the "side plug" your worried about after I filled mine with oil and it defiantly does not leak. So on the off chance that yours is actually plugged already, stick a screw driver in there and see what happens or put a bit of engine oil in just to see. I don't want to be the guy who states the obvious, this was just the case that I had, so maybe your fixing something that is fixed from the factory.

Cheers

Chris

Hmmmm, this is interesting. On my sump which is the rb20det pan on a rb25det, the hole you are trying to plug is plugged from the factory on mine. Its threaded and everything and even looks like it needs something, however I noticed the "side plug" your worried about after I filled mine with oil and it defiantly does not leak. So on the off chance that yours is actually plugged already, stick a screw driver in there and see what happens or put a bit of engine oil in just to see. I don't want to be the guy who states the obvious, this was just the case that I had, so maybe your fixing something that is fixed from the factory.

Cheers

Chris

Yup that hole is pluged in my pan also. If its a new pan you prob just have to leave it alone.

-JT

Have you put oil in the engine????

Does it leak out of there????

I looked at my pan and there is some kind of sensor in it. when i removed it way back when it had 1 wire coming out of the middle of it and i just cut it off. i say put oil in it and start it... pics coming soon

Well photo bucket is down and i cant upload pics to hybridz for some reason...

I looked in the rb20 skyline FSM and it doesn't show it on the oil pan... my guess it may be a z31 thing and it look like either a low oil idiot sensor or a oil temp sensor.

Either way it sits in a cup that is sealed and it doesn't look like it needs to be there in my pan. As in it wont leak oil if its not there.

I stuck a screwdriver in it and had a good probe. The inside looks black as though its the inside of the sump but the probe stops against hard metal which suggests that it is sealed/welded on the inside.

Sooo I filled it up and guess what - no oil leak!

I can't believe it - its like a Japenese comedian fitted a fake plug body to the sump for a laugh. Its not even as though its a bad fake - it looks the genuine item - just like a sump plug should fit in it and exactly like oil would pour out of it if you tried to fill the engine.

I feel well sheepish about this now though!!!

Hopefully this thread will be of help to anyone else having the same confusion and also to those people looking for a sump plug part number.

Thanks to everyone for helping me sort this out.