HybridZ

clutch won't disengage

DrEaM

okay guys i've spent about an hour trying to figure out what the hell is my problem... :flamedevi

i have a fidanza flywheel stock 280zxturbo pressure plate and clutch

the clutch will not disengage at all.. i can't put it into any gear. and the pedal feels kinda soft. i thought that i needed to bleed the slave cylinder but that didn't fix anything and i dropped the transmission thinking i might have installed the clutch backwards but i didn't.. everything seemed alright but i still couldn't disengage the clutch..

so what i'm thinking is that i might need to get a 280zx throwout bearing, clutchfork, slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder.. since all of mine are for a 280z and my clutch master is bad

if you guys have any advice that would be awsome!! please respond with any good or bad advice

did you change the trans? the forks are all the same to the best of my knowledge aside form the series 1 which is obvious, there are 3 different lengths of TO collars, the bearings are all the same, and unless you pulled the slave for some reaso you shouldn't ahve to bleed the system but it certainly won't hurt, also is your clevis adjusted propery at the pedal?

If you bled the clutch by yourself than you did'nt do it right unless you used a vacuum bleeder. You need to open the bleeder and get someone to push the pedal all the way in, hold it in, check the fluid level(do not let it go dry), let the pedal out, push it all the way in and hold, then tighten up the bleeder.

yeah i installed everything right.. i bled the clutch with my friends and i did everything right i'm just thinking that i might not have the right hardware.. i know i'm not the only one with this problem, i'm just wondering what actual setups everyone with turbo swaps in their 280z's are running.. i guess i have to wait for my parts to come in and see if the new collar and throughout bearing is going to help any

I just had a very similar problem fixed in my car. After driving for about an hour on the freeway on Sunday, I was unable to shift into or out of any gear. The clutch pedal might as well not have been there. It turns out that my clutch master cylinder went bad and was leaking. A new one was installed and it now shifts better than ever.

While I have a different drivetrain, it is possible that is a similar issue with your car.

If it's not a bad clutch master cylinder you may want to check the clutch fork really close. I had the same problem and after going around in circles I discovered that the fork had a hairline crack that was almost invisible at rest. But under load you could see the crack right where the rod coming out of the master goes into the fork.

It was ajusted by yours truly. (long story). Anyhow, the throwout was slightly touching the pressure plate finger. Did not take long.

Brother sent me the pics a couple years back with a little bit of attitude, gee wonder why???

If you want to know there was notheing left of that bearing, and little indication of that takeing place. (suprisingly)

That is why I posted it for you.

I had that happen to my bug, but slightly different. the fork that holds the throwout was damaged, and had slipped, causing the throughout to rub on the clutch (instead of being centered, it was off centered) I didn't really notice it at first, till it had ground the throwout bearing so much that the ball bearings had burst and were beating the inside of the bell housing. I was sorta screwed so I had to drive it home like that. probably a mile before I was home it was so bad that the clutch was basically gone (the ball bearings had gotten lodged in crappy places in the pressure plate, making it stick)

long story short, clutch with only 10k on it was trashed, throwout bearing trashed, flywheel was beat to death, and I needed to replace the fork for the throwout bearing.

clutch cables breaking aren't as nasty though if you can shift without a clutch. and in an old vw, starter startings aren't bad.

I had a similar problem with my 240 a few years back. The car had sat for a month after the clutch was installed and it had the same symptems that you are expiriencing. I bled the master/slave cylinder and it didn't do any good. The cutch disk had corroded to the flywheel. I held the front pulley nut with a braker bar and rocked the car back and forth untill it broke free. I'm not saying thats your problem, but it does sound familiar.

yeah man but everything is BRAND NEW so i don't know how this problem could have all of the sudden came out of nowhere.. i mean i drove the car up to the shop where its being worked on, so i guess i'm going to have to wait until i get my parts from msa.. they said that they'll be here on sat but they aren't going to be here til tues

It's frustrating, I know. If your positive the throughout bearing is pushing the prassure plate back when you press the clutch down, then there isn't a whole lot you can do. On some older models of slave cylinders there is adjustment of the rod that pushes on the arm that moves the troughout bearing. It gets adjusted when the clutch is old and needs to be adjusted back when you put a new set in it. This would be the last thing to check. Good luck, hope you get it figured out. - Matt

• 2 weeks later...

so okay guys its been about 4 weeks since i decided to change out my flywheel here is the setup

280z pressure plate

280z clutch

fidanza flywheel

and 280zx throwout bearing..

i'm really frustrated right now b/c i tried everything with all 280zx turbo parts and it didn't work, i've blead the clutch numerous times and i'm still having this problem. I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON HERE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM.. i'm just wondering with all of the turbo setups on this site does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

and the

clutch master-new

clutch fork-new

slave cylinder-new

and the clutch line is steel braided-new

looking for some positive advice here if you have any info i would greatly appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

okay guys its been about a month and i still haven't had the chance to drive my car... it sucks b/c i deploy in a few weeks and i wont be able to drive my craptastic car.. i actually think i might have found something in this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=83857&page=2

but i guess noone on this site has this problem with 280zs so i'll keep you guys updated and when i figure this crap out hopefully there will be a sticky about it b/c after hours of searching and reading there doesn't seem to be any specific answer to this problem BUT there are ALOT of people that seem to have it

• 2 weeks later...

alrighty then.... okay guys i think i might have solved my problem... somewhat.. after going through what seemed like gallons of brake fluid AAAAANNDDDDD droping my transmission and putting it back up i don't know how many times amog other things, i've decided to use an old transmission mount bolt, with the head cut off for a slave cylinder rod. it did fix my problem but now my clutch is slipping pretty bad so tomorrow i'm i'm going to start shaving down the bolt until i get the perfect length..