HybridZ

ah crap. Transmission rattle.. pedal vibrates

Well.. I don't really know whats going on and I'll be inspecting everything when I have some free time but here are my symptoms:

- I've recently felt a vibration or "pulsing" affect when I press on the clutch pedal. The car shifts fine and the clutch disengages properly so thats not a problem.

- However when driving OR in neutral the engine has a rattling sound. (very similar to a bolt in the exhaust sound)

- I used a mechanics stethoscope and determined it is coming from inside the bell housing of the transmission. so that part is narrowed down.

- the greater the engine RPM the noisier it gets.

- the clutch is not slipping

- the noise does not increase or decrease when the pedal is engaged, so the throwout bearing must be fine

- clutch/pressure plate has 15,000 miles on it. ACT stage II

I think I've done my best trying to describe everything.

Any ideas or thoughts?!

Ryan

Check the input shaft bearing, check for play when you drop the transmission. I had a trans rattling like that and when I pulled it off the input shaft had a huge amount of play. When you push on the clutch does the rattling slow down to a stop?

A bolt could have backed out of the pressure plate?

That would be pretty scary if the pressure plate was flexing, and causing the "pulsing". Bolt could be vibrating around in the bottom.

IF that is what is causing your vibration and noise you need to fix it quick. Even if that is not it you should take a look before doing much more driving. This thread is about what happened to mine when a pressure plate bolt backed out... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131772&highlight=Dragonfly I had no warning before mine let go and as you can see from the pics in the thread it did some damage to, and inside the bellhousing.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Problem solved..

the clutch I had had some loose rivets.. (ACT pressure plate).. ACT fixed and repaired them.

Also the front cover on the input shaft in which the throwout bearing slides back and forth on was broken as well.

All fixed

Wow...good thing you got to it before everything let loose in there.