HybridZ

Just got myself a 1981 280zx turbo.. have some questions

All I know is that most 83 turbos had a p90a hydraulic head. From what Ive read SOME were p90a's with mechanical lifters. But Im not sure.

Yes indeed. Some '82's had a P90A head with mechanical lifters (like mine) but as far as I know, there weren't ANY '83's with a 90A head and mechanical lifters from the factory. There's probably quite a few Timesert converted P90A heads around since hydro lifters are NLA. But maybe you're right, there could be some '83's with a P90A and factory mechanical lifters.

I don't have concrete facts though...I could be totally wrong. Just because we haven't seen it in person, doesn't mean they don't exist. e.g. '82-'83's with slicktops.

I will try to refrain from posting any more today...:beatdeadh

I apologize for the off-topic chippo280Z

Yes indeed. Some '82's had a P90A head with mechanical lifters (like mine) but as far as I know, there weren't ANY '83's with a 90A head and mechanical lifters from the factory. There's probably quite a few Timesert converted P90A heads around since hydro lifters are NLA. But maybe you're right, there could be some '83's with a P90A and factory mechanical lifters.

I don't have concrete facts though...I could be totally wrong. Just because we haven't seen it in person, doesn't mean they don't exist. e.g. '82-'83's with slicktops.

dont worry about it. but i still have some questions which is the easiest and cheapest way to get the car running right.. go for megasquirt or get the stock ecu and maf?? by the way how much do you want for the afm and the ecu??? (280zone)

just a little more off topic (sorry), what is the difference between a solid lifter p90 and p90a out of curiosity?

dont worry about it. but i still have some questions which is the easiest and cheapest way to get the car running right.. go for megasquirt or get the stock ecu and maf?? by the way how much do you want for the afm and the ecu??? (280zone)

The easiest way will be to get a stock ECU and AFM and any other missing bits that might have dissapeared. Getting megasquirt running is no easy task. As long as you can get a good deal it should be cheaper too. A bare bones cheap megasquirt conversion can still be over $300 and you should be able to find everything you need to use the factory ECU for cheaper than that I would think.

just a little more off topic (sorry), what is the difference between a solid lifter p90 and p90a out of curiosity?

Well the P90A heads had a different cam, but that's probably about it. I'll dig up the link to the various cams used.

The easiest way will be to get a stock ECU and AFM and any other missing bits that might have dissapeared. Getting megasquirt running is no easy task. As long as you can get a good deal it should be cheaper too. A bare bones cheap megasquirt conversion can still be over $300 and you should be able to find everything you need to use the factory ECU for cheaper than that I would think.

Well the P90A heads had a different cam, but that's probably about it. I'll dig up the link to the various cams used.

thanks for the advice but still have some questions. does all of the 280zx use the same ecu or does it have to be out of an 81?

I believe all the turbo ECUs are the same, but it does need to be a Turbo ECU, not just any 280ZX ECU. The turbo ECU has totally different plugs even. Notice that yourr wires going to the ECU have three plugs, well the normal NA ECU has a single large plug.

Guest loudzigen

i know this is offtopic, but just wanted to say i like the cars stance...what suspension does it have or is it just sagging stock old springs?

i know this is offtopic, but just wanted to say i like the cars stance...what suspension does it have or is it just sagging stock old springs?

i know it looks pretty cool but i could not seen anything different looks like stock suspension probably the springs are shorter or just heated hehehe i really dont know i will check on that later..........

I have an 83' ECU in my 81', just pops in and works great. From what I hear, you can use the 82-83 ECU's in the 81, but you can't use the 81' ECU in the 82-83's. Has to do with the dropping resistors for the injectors. So if you can't find an 81' ECU, look for the 82-83's. Also, the non turbo ECU's won't even plug into the turbo harness, connectors are *totally* different.