HybridZ

$6 per gallon does it really matter to my Z?

ZR8ED

Nope.

I may cry a bit harder each time as gas continues to go up, and I have to commute to work..in the auto industry..yeeesh. I understand that it will drive up the cost of other aspects of life (food, home heating, vacations etc) but for my Z? who cares?! I put in 4-5 tanks of fuel per season maybe a few more if I have a good season (not in the shop a lot). Its not a daily driver for me, so gas mileage is not a huge concern to me.

But I do drive a Honda to work everyday to minimize my fuel costs for now. Just paid 1.206/litre today.

Its funny. I worry about gas usage when i'm in my Honda, but not when I'm in my Z!

Just my little morning musing.

Don't flame me please. hehe

I work in the oil patch, so go oil!! I work from home when in Calgary, so no commuting..except for a couple of miles to the dog park each day and the pooch likes sitting in the hatch area. When I drive the Z to California for work, I get paid $.75/mile, so the car actually makes me money, even at $4.10/gal for premium. Can't wait for $200/barrell!!!!

Let's see, we have a choice these days. Burn 1 gallon for every 15 miles in a big, slow, behemoth truck...or burn 1 gallon every 15 miles mashing the pedal in a fast, agile, sporty Datsun Z.

How would you rather spend the money?

I know how I would.

Thats the reason why I just stopped driving my jeep. $95 a tank, my a$$. It use to be about $55 the same time last year IIRC (or might have been the year before:p). I walk when ever I can.

My theory is that the US dollar is tanking (hasn't tanked yet). If you look at gold and the value of it in different currencies, you can get a pretty good view of where we sit. the value of gold is pretty consistent in the world market place. Same with oil, but not AS consistent.

Well you guys are lucky. Ive NEVER even filled my car up at a gas station. :( I dont know the feeling, good or bad.

As for gold, yeah you can see the dollar is going down the toilet. Luckily my dad saw that when gold was $400 and silver was $7 (specifically after Katrina when the govt said theyd pay for it by printing more money), and luckily I sold my savings of gold to paint my car a year before gold shot up to $1100.

Any good links on how to compare the cost of gold in different currencies? I lived in Germany when it switched to the Euro, and IIRC, it was a bit below a dollar per Euro. Now it is in the $1.50 range . . .

And we are competing to buy oil with them, doesn't help when the dollar tanks like that.

I think I actually lost some mileage after the swap...the new trans has a short 5th gear. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it is.

I'm on a pretty low income and these prices are just KILLING me. I can't believe I'd actually be happy at this point to see $2.50 / gallon again.

...but I'd sooner keep the Z and the somewhat lousy gas mileage than get forced into some overly complex, plasticine, heavy, nanny-stateified, characterless jellybean. :D I like my Halfararri noises too much.

Yeah...don't get me wrong, it's an excellent solution to beating a gas crunch. There are some bikes out there I'd LOVE to have..but after the video I saw yesterday of a guy that got his handlebars clipped and knocked under a semi towing twin gravel trailers, I'm fairly convinced it's a bad idea.

The guy had his pelvis crushed, 23 surgeries, a colostomy, suprapubic catheter(which means the man-bits probably got removed), lost a leg, the other had numerous skin grafts, and numerous debilitating other injuries that'll insure he never walks again and will never again be able to ride a bike...motor or not.

Worst part? The jack@$$ that decided to pass him while still occupying his lane never even slowed down, even while he was getting dragged 30 feet under the wheels of a trailer and having his bike literally blow up on top of him.

I wouldn't want to live through that.

My scooter :P.

Honda Monkey bike Z50 49cc. its strange though. I see the same engine design on those mini bikes all over the place. Makes me think that honda sold the engine designs a while ago. But good place to get parts from :P but not multi speed tranny on those :P.

m50cdx-offside.jpg

I feel the same way. I dd the z everyday. Love it. Sure, it now takes about $65 to fill. But it always makes me smile when i start it and alarms in the area go off.

oh and not to mention 3rd gear is ridiculously entertaining.

I considered a bike...too many horror stories and brainless drivers going through life on autopilot. The thought of getting turned into road pizza is a big deterrent to losing a pair of wheels and gaining mileage.

this is what happens when jack***es on the road dont pay attention to their surroundings. 85mph into a wall on I-610 just outside New Orleans, LA. Riding bikes is a whole mess of fun, but its not about how well you can ride. People just dont care to watch for riders.

ouch.jpg