HybridZ

Turbo/Supercharged V8?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Now that I know a V8 conversion is possible for my 280ZX, my next question would be, is it possible to turbo or supercharge the V8?

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by Azazel Lee:

Now that I know a V8 conversion is possible for my 280ZX, my next question would be, is it possible to turbo or supercharge the V8?

Supercharging it would be easy, because there aftermarket is huge for chevy 350's, and there are a bunch of SC's made for that engine. But I don't know of anyone that makes kits to turbocharge it.

Guest Anonymous

A quick browse did'nt show any turbo kits, I know someone has to make one, but it will probably be vehicle specific (I.E. truck or SUV or something). Plenty of parts out there though to turbo the chevy V8, but it won't be a kit that'll just happen to fit within the confines of the Datsun engine compartment. The turbo guru's around here can probably say for sure, but judging strictly on the motor in my car, I think it would require the turbo to be up front because of space, and also it'll help with intercooling having it up there will make routing a bit easier. A turbo blowing into a TPI engine with the appropriate controls (SDS, Tec II) and compression ratio would be pretty darn cool. Oh well, welcome to the group, good luck with your project whatever it ends up being! icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Night_rider_383

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. If you are looking into turbo's check with procharger, paxton, powerdyne, whipple and vortech engineering.

You didnt say if you have a newer style engine or an older carb one, but i know these makes chargers for both types EFI and carbed.

If your running an older carbed engine then myself i would look at a roots type blower over a turbo. They don't have the turbo lag that you get on the other styles. Check with holley/weiand, bds, kuhl, dyer, mooneyham, They come in all sizes from 142 to top fueler 14-71's

No matter what year, size engine you have and no matter what type charger you run. Keep your compression under 8.3:1 or your asking for trouble. Myself on charged street engines i like to keep total c/r around 7.4:1 to 7.8:1 and keep around 32 to 34 deg. total timing. Just my two cent. Hope you the best of luck

John (nightrider)

I'd skip over Powerdyne, Paxton and Vortech are merging too so I'm not sure how that will work out.

As for CR - you don't need a low compression ratio if the intake charge is kept cool enough. On a roots blower you have to pull tons of timing and run low boost because the air is so hot, no so on a centrifigul or intercooled turbo. Stock late model camaros with blowers are running 10lbs of boost with CRs over 9.5 I believe - note the aluminum heads though. FOX Mustangs had a factory CR of a little over 9:1 and can run over 10lbs of boost if tuned correctly.

Given a choice run EFI. While a carb CAN be made to run with a blow through type system carbs work best with Roots blowers - just watch the hood clearance (ahem). EFI on the oher hand is much more precise, and costs it too! Folks I've spoken to locally who have run carbs with ProChargers have told me that tunng is a PITA and that given a choice they wouldn't do it again....

I'd say build a healthy SBC, drive it, and if you need more power THEN consider a blower. Don't built it with too much compression but about 9:1 or so would be good and keep you out of detonation on pump gas. A bottle can always be employed too icon_smile.gif This is pretty much what I intend to do - drive it carbed, move up to EFI next year, and if I really want more power I'll look at a ProCharger setup. In the meantime carb NOS systems are fairly cheap so.... icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Fast Frog

Having SC my 383 with a Paxton, I can tell you it can be done. One or two others (Darius and John Scott) have SC with Procharger which, at this time, appears to be the way to go. Thanx for the info, BLKMGK, I didn't know that Paxton and Vortex were merging! If anything, the Paxton product will only get better!!

I've talked to the Procharger people a couple of times in the past year and for our application it seems that the reverse flow setup may be best cause there would be less fabrication of the mounting bracket, and fitting the unit in front of the driver's side portion of the engine bay would be easier. When I mounted my Paxton 5 yrs ago, I had to rework the mounting bracket, shim the whole setup 7/8" further away from the face of the engine, and beat in the driver's side strut tower the get the unit in. It appears that Darius didn't have a lot of problems mounting his Procharger, but it also appears that Darius doesn't have his engine in the JTR setback position either. If he did, I'm sure some bracket and engine bay fabrication would have been order.

Turbocharging is possible too. But unless some small special kit for the sbc comes to fore, you'd have to really take apart your engine bay to fit twin turbos.

As far as compression ratio is concerned, using mild boost(5-6lbs)you can run 9-9.5:1. With careful tunning and alum hds 10:1+ cr can be used. If you're going for higher boost, than that cr needs to drop proportionately!! I ran my Paxton with 5-6lbs of boost with alum hds and 9.5:1 cr and used pump premium.

I'd like to see someone out there install an under the hood SC with a nice clean installation and show us how it's done!!

Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

Yuo can run a bit more than 5-6lbs. Mustang guys run 10 and more on the street. The trick to this is keeping the intake temps DOWN. This is why intercooling is so important. Ever seen a test of the Kenny Bell blower? Intake temps on that sucker are incredible and I'm told it's nickname is the popcorn machine! It's intake temps can be as high as 80 degrees or more over ambient (from memory, be gentle). Can you say detonation? Get that tempt down near ambient and you can run much more boost. My P1200 is setup to run about 10lbs on a motor with compression probably edging on 10:1 (not quite but close). We actually had go with a pretty big pulley to keep it that low. I could probably run about 5 more lbs of boost on that motor but honestly there's no reason to IMO.

It's hot air that will kill things. Vortech swore that wasn't true for years and even tried to sue ProCharger after they made claims of making more power. Strangely enough they never once chose to meet ProCharger's challenges for a shoot out and now offer intercoolers themselves. More correctly they're aftercoolers BTW icon_smile.gif Paxton has yet to do this that I know about and they're ball drive chargers were pretty ineffecient past 5-6lbs of boost. I had one on a 302 and after changing heads and intake my 8lbs of boost dropped to about 5. This is normal - I removed the corks. I called Paxton and asked about getting more boost - seems the cast impeller and ball drive couldn't do it without spending big bux. I sold the kit and went turbo. To get 5-6lbs on a 350 you were spinning it pretty hard but at least you were running a later version than I was. Getting much more would've possibly meant overspeeding it - not good if the impeller goes. I've met guys who've blown impellers, ruins your whole day!

Last but not least - when shopping for blowers or comparing cars don't get caught up in the boost race. Boost is a measure of backpressure in the intake, this is why I lost boost on my car after changing heads and intake. I was still moving th esame amount of air, it just wasn't piling up as eaisly in the intake. With a turbo car you don't notice this as much since the wastegate simply speeds the turbo up, eventually you overspeed those though too.

I always have to laugh when two Mustang guys get together and race boost level. The one with the most boost always thinks he'll win and that's NOT always the case. Different brands and modesl of blower have different effecieny maps too and that makes a difference. It's like a compressor map for a turbo, if your blower doesn't make boost till it's spun to the moon it's not going to do much good on a stock motor with stock gears (ahem).

Anyway, enough rambling. I'll answer questions if I can. I'm not sure what kit fits best in the Z engine bay but some of th eLT1 kits are pretty tight bracket wise. I'll try to get a peek at one of them over at the shop and post about it if I can, maybe get some measurements one day...

• 3 years later...

Looks like that's another >100hp minimum.

I was just ckecking out the install instructions on line about 2days ago and I was thinking, (ok I was dreaming),huummm.

Then these picts post. :shock: WOW yeha baby.

To quote some Disney dude, (maybe it was that little green cricket guy with the tophat) "See...dreams CAN, and DO come true"

I cant believe that no one mentioned Banks! If you want to turbo a small block chevy, Banks Power is the first place to look! I'll be installing it on my car as soon as I scrounge up enough cash! It is designed to fit under a stock hood, so other than the added width you shouldn't have any problems.

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

TTurbo-frontleftquarte-lg.jpg

This SC'ed LS1 now makes 400HP to the wheels and 450 Ft LBs of tork. The car ran an 11.97 before the supper charger. I have not ran it at the track yet. I'm afraid it is going to be very traction limted. :o

How much boost? 400 seems low to me for that combo :?: