HybridZ

High School Drags

ok last year I ran consistent 13's... But I have a new motor thia year so what is the easy way to get better times... Should I run higher octane? Last year I had a E88 head on a N42 block so I believe the compression was around 10/1*... This year I have a p79 head with a f54 block... So I think the compression is around 8.5/1* ... I ran a 13 high last year running NA motor at 6000+ elevation but I had 100+ octane. Can I run avation or blue fuel with the new motor? What happens with high octane in lower compression motors? What can I do fast and quick to get my time nice?

Yea, you're not going to see much gain in anything. I wouldn't be surprised if you're slower than before.

Turbo charge or nitrous.

Otherwise just get as agressive as you can with the timing and get the fuel mixture dialed in. Not much else I can think of for you to do.

From what I understand, as far as pump fuel goes, the higher the octane, the more it resists detonation, because it burns slower.

If you're running such low compression, try a lower octane maybe, and see if there is a positive outcome.

The car went 13's with a pretty nicely built n42 block with e88 head... But this year I just have a p79 with f54 block... is it possible to turbo charge carbs? that may be dumb but i mean if you force air into the SU carbs is it just gonna break them? ha i am just trying to find a quick fix i have a budget of $1200 and two weeks... This motor seems to build much nicer with the lightweight fly wheel then the previous one but it might be my imagination... Woudl it be a good idea to buy some slicks for the back? I tend to spend the wheels going through first and beggining of second...

The car went 13's with a pretty nicely built n42 block with e88 head... But this year I just have a p79 with f54 block... is it possible to turbo charge carbs? that may be dumb but i mean if you force air into the SU carbs is it just gonna break them? ha i am just trying to find a quick fix i have a budget of $1200 and two weeks... This motor seems to build much nicer with the lightweight fly wheel then the previous one but it might be my imagination... Woudl it be a good idea to buy some slicks for the back? I tend to spend the wheels going through first and beggining of second...

Yes you can turbo carbs, but it's a lot of work tuning. I think you're best bet with the money you have would be to deck the head, shim the cam towers, maybe port the head some, and tune it really well. Get that compression back up. If you turbo I think it'll break your budget.

the higher octane gas will let you put more timing into the engine without detonation. How much advance are you running at idle?

If you're going to run a turbo, it's easier to just yank the entire turbo assembly off an old engine, intake, exhaust injectors, computer and wiring harness or simply buy the whole engine and sell the extra parts off. You may find one for under budget, but I would try and leave a few hundred bucks for injectors and any other possible bad parts.

put $1200 into nitrous, but with you running SU's you'll have to do more plumming to either put dual wet foggers (one for each SU) or more cash for direct port foggers.

Regardless, with compression that low, the most power gain for the money you will get will be nitrous. Run 1st and second gear as you normall do, then use the shot on 3rd and 4th.

I have 0 knowledge of nitrous... How bad is it on a motor? and I really am not worried about blowing the motor up as long as i run pretty good times ha... Is there any place I can just go to get a entire nos setup or is it all online?

I have 0 knowledge of nitrous... How bad is it on a motor? and I really am not worried about blowing the motor up as long as i run pretty good times ha... Is there any place I can just go to get a entire nos setup or is it all online?

I have a SU car sitting in my garage, i've never really thought up how to put a fogger system on it since i'm an EFI guy, but let me go stare at it for a bit and try to come up with a design. What is your deadline for this race? Shoot me a PM with the specifics