HybridZ

a/c with holset he351/hy35

I am in the process of gathering parts for my turbo 240z conversion. I plan to use a he351 that I picked up on ebay. I am wondering if I will be able to make this turbo work with the stock a/c compressor. I want to run the intercooler piping out of the turbo, around the front of the engine, thru the passenger side radiator support hole, thru the IC, thru the drivers side radiator support hole and into the intake manifold. For the turbo intake, I would like to use the stock Cummins 90 degree intake elbow but this isn't required. It doesn't look like there will be enough room for all the piping around the compressor. Do you think this can work or do I need to go a different route?

Thanks,

Ross

the IC plumbing can be done to clear a compressor, that part is easy. it's getting a air filter thats worth a damn to fit in the minimal space between the inlet of the turbo and the butt of the compressor that becomes the issue.

i'm sure somthing could be "rigged up" to work, but i've yet to see an efficient design that deals w/ the issue. i have had some ideas though.

Yeah not saying it's impossible but I dunno how you are gonna make that one work, the Holset uses a 4" air inlet and most compatable air filters are going to be quite large. I needed about 3 inches of straight pipe to make my air filter clear the engine mount, then it barely cleared the rad. Not only that, for some reason my engine had a AC compressor mount bolted to the engine, I ended up having to remove that too. If I had to remove that low profile mount, fitting the actual compressor in there seems unlikely. The tightest way I can imagine making a route for inlet air would be to remove the turbo compressor housing and cut off the inlet. Then using some 4" aluminum straight pipe cut some crazy tight pie cuts to fab a inlet upwards and toward the left fenderwell.. I have doubts on if that would work, but it's something to think about.

Maybe just throw a screen on there and run without a filter?

How much space is there between the compressor and the turbo inlet? The 4" diameter rubber elbow comes out 6" and up 6" then flares to 5.25 inch diameter. If I can't get the elbow to work then I think I will try to fabricate an intake box with a panel filter similar to what is used by newer cars. What do you think?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to figure out what I need prior to tearing the car apart.

shoot big phil a PM, or go poke through his videos or photo albumn. i know he runs AC on his HY'd L28. but i don't know if he's running around unfiltered or not.

my solution to the situation would be to pie cut 4" piping and make the needed radius to get behind the compressor and put the filter elsewhere.

a simple way to do it would be to make a box design that uses all the space possble from the ac compressor to the inlet, making the transition to 4" round for a silicon coupler only at the very last second. this design however obviously will not flow nearly as well, so it's a trade off of one need for another.

it's all a matter of what level of peformance you want vs. comfort.

Serendipitous thread. As Slow Old Car pointed out, its the air filter/inlet to the compressor that is the problem. I have been trying to figure this one out as well, and Phil's solution is ideal.

My current setup has a 3", 45-degree pipe that comes out and down. The filter winds up sitting right about the front sway bar. I really like Phil's solution.

Look closely and you see a blue cone air filter. It actually rests on the A/C compressor. I made a small shield on the back of the radiator to keep hot air from the rad. blowing right into the air filter.

It's a 3" double cone washable air filter from ebay. I think it was $10.

149043583_xTXTk-L.jpg