HybridZ

new video of all my trouble

big-phil

I stand corrected. I need to buy the book "How to tune & modify engine management systems."

From the book, peak EGTs occur at stoich (14.7 AFR) and will decline when leaner than 15:1 and richer than 14.7.

So then if running rich actually cools the EGT (to a point), since Phil is running 100% meth, maybe his timing is not advanced enough to allow for complete combustion, thereby allowing excess fuel into the exhaust manifold and turbine housing?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so big phil endevoreds, with his latest viedo, that he has had alot of recent problems.

Personally he now knows far more than I do. Wait,, that bridge was crossed a long time ago.

You know the car very well, yet you did not finish your work with the tune.

If a mind like yours has become board a bit that is understandable.

Your vigour an motivation has been greatly admired by myself over time. If you desire to change the Iron under your butt it is... understandable.

I remember glowing my turbine housing when tuning. I remember it glowing when it was lean and when it was rich. KTM, I wasn't trying to counter you, I was just trying to accentuate that it very well could be the richness at the top of his map that destroyed the Big Phil turbo.

I've learned that increasing fuel decreases the overall temperature of the engine and the EGT decreases.

I've played around alot in old Cessna's with a mixture knob and played around with the mixture at various altitudes and tried to tune for the ideal EGT.

When the EGT is high, I add more fuel and the EGT and engine head temp begin to drop.

The only way the EGT's can increase by en richening the mixture would involve retarding the timing so the excess fuel ignites in the exhaust which would increase the EGT.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I know, I'm getting to this a bit late.

But are EGT's really telling the whole story about what we're talking about? Some have suggested that unburnt fuel is heating up the turbo causing the failure. Would this really be seen by a EGT sensor? I guess it mostly comes down to where the sensor is placed.

My point is that a turbo adds another dynamic to the equasion. In a NA engine, sure going richer past stoich will cool the EGT down, but adding a turbo means those unburnt fuel vapor molecules WILL get burned in the turbo, bringing EGTs back up as the turbo burns more and more fuel as the mixture goes more and more rich.

Anyways, as I said in the video comments, don't sell the car phil. A 240SX is no replacement for the Z. If anything dump the headache of the L28 and get a different motor. You can always do the RB25 in the Z, or be back up to your current HP easily with a large variety of V8 options.

• 2 weeks later...