HybridZ

My other project in the works.

rustrocket

The "other projects" forum doesnt get nearly as much publicity, so i thought i'd share my cool project here. Some of you may remember my other project i asked for help on a while back, a little triumph spitfire with a 13bt going into it. I've since sold that car in favor of rebuilding the wagon my dad gave me before he left for peru. Some of you saw the post about the wagon when i got it, but for reference, here's a couple pics of it:

1958 Triumph 10

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

I've ultimately decided to build it into a fun street car that i can also thrash on a road course, autox, or in the hills on occasion. Unfortunately, while this car is being built with my dad's interests in mind, he probably won't be able to see the final product due to declining health. I digress...The car is in the shop right now, having the tube chassis and roll cage built. I'm using mostly jy parts, but should be a fun and well performing vehicle when all is said and done.

Going home on the trailer, a little precarious:

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Stock interior:

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

Being Gutted:

0514081217.jpg

0514081227.jpg

Check out the tranny tunnel hack! The shifter assembly was actually sandwiching the floor and being used as the primary transmission mount! The rest of the tranny was being held in with a piece of wire.

0514081227a.jpg

Stock engine bay (depressing, isnt it?)

IMG_2378.jpg

Engine coming out. Who needs jackstands when you have tired and a trailer?:

100_5726.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Doing some stuff under the hood:

100_5728.jpg

Moving junk around:

100_5727.jpg

And to keep my energy levels up, who needs red bull when you have: 0517080759.jpg !!!

New engine/tranny to be going in:

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

I'm going with a GMPP single plane carb manifold, msd 6ls-2, and a custom built carb just to keep things simple and save the headache of running a high pressure fuel system and make install easier. I'm also hunting for a decent cam and clutch/fly setup.

That's it for now. As far as the rear end, i'm using a narrowed 240sx subframe with q45 diff/axles/hubs/brakes, etc. Front will be 240sx 5 lug hubs and struts. We're shooting for a outside tire measurement of about 62", much wider than the original 48.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, from what i know, there's less than a handful of these left in the country. What few are left are either restored, rotting away, or being sent to metal yards. I'm the only one crazy enough to cut one up.

And for a size comparison:

y1pfMtZOA570NdRknzptIeGNmQmV5PuRJupyMrB6l7So1DUxrhzHo0-2-YrMgTGGciKrMTVJ66Go6A

Woohooo! Glad it's all starting to come together for you man. I forgot to mention I was down in the san jose area last saturday, I don't think I would have had the time to swing by though unfortunately.

Keep the pics comming of course, and I'm counting the days for the video of the foggy.

Can't wait to see you start the fabrication and assembly! What have you decided to do about seating position with the new longer drivetrain? As an FYI, McLeod makes a shifter relocation kit to move the shifter on that T-56 forward to the front inspection plate if you run into problems in that regard.

I'm thinking the seats are going to be moved back about 8 inches or so just for leg room from having the engine/trans so far back. I think my driveshaft will ultimately be less than 2 feet long.

Seats are another issue. My shoulders are exactly 24" wide, and the stock seats are 19" shoulder to shoulder and almost up against the door. Kirkeys maybe? Hmmm....

Good info about the relocation kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks great.

Though I've got what seems to be a pretty logical question to me. Will the floor boards go over or under the transmission? :lol:

Looks like seats will be a bit cramped. I'm sure you'll make it work.

Interesting, i didnt even consider having the floorboards go under as an option. I was thinking over with removeable access panels.

As far as seats, we stuck a pair of momo's in there yesterday. They fit fine, but would be even better if i trimmed about 1.5" off of one of the shoulder wings/ears (whatever you call them) closest to the door. Kirkeys might do the trick just fine. The headrest comes just behind the B pillar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...