HybridZ

n42/n47 Connecting Rods- 8mm or 9mm bolts?

Challenger

I saw that the 9mm bolts have a 14mm bolt, and the 8mm have a 13mm. I tried the 13mm wrench and it was to small...

Different bolts of the same metric thread size can have different head sizes. You might want to measure the actual threaded area of the bolts with a caliper to be sure.

If that's the case, then why all the hullaballoo about 9mm L24 rods?

On a side note, one of my projects in the ME lab was tensile testing of various fasteners of my choice. By tensile test in the lab at school, the old datsun 8mm and 9mm rod bolts for the L24 fail within 100lbs of each other...

If that's the case, then why all the hullaballoo about 9mm L24 rods?

Because they're longer than the L28 rods, giving a better rod/stroke ratio, yet have the same bolt size, yielding the same strength. They want the 9mm instead of the 8mm so they don't give up any strength by switching rods.

uhhhh....NO. the L28 got 8mm rods, period. Unless the rods have been drilled and fitted with 9mm bolts, which i guess could be done.

Dont you just love it when these un-experienced guys say "PERIOD". And they are totally wrong!

Dont act so confident, if you are not speaking from experience, that is how internet myths get started.

To answer, any 130mm rod is 9mm.

Well, 1 Fast Z, I may be inexperienced, but I do have an incomplete set of 130mm rods with 8mm bolts. There are (I think) 3 rods left, they were sacrificed to the tensile test gods in the lab at school. the 8mm and 9mm rods were tensile tested and failed within 100lbs of each other, both in the section of the bolt right around where the split is in the bearing, WHEN the rod bolt was the failure point. when the rod bolts didn't fail, the failure happened at the oil hole drilled in the upper part of the rod, once the rod broke straight across, the other one that failed this way broke in a jagged diagonal.

I would post graphs and figures, however I am no longer allowed at that school. I couldn't cut it in calculus II, regardless of how well I was doing in my other classes.