HybridZ

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky Seats....Nice!

dat240zg

Guys:

One of the areas of the rodstoration of #248 that has been a major pain in the butt (and leg and head and shoulder...) has been the seats.

I started out removing the stock seat mounts, reinforcing the area where the seats would then mount (during the restoration), and then had the roll bar welded in. I removed the stock mounts to position the seats a little lower due to the main hoop.

So I measured and bought a set of DAD sport seats. Fit fine - a little low - but my wife vetoed them due to the fact that they were really restrictive. So I sold those and purchased a set of '07 miata seats. Fit really well, comfortable but way too low. They would work well with the stock mounts.

Finally, I was cruising fleabay and found my solution: Pontiac Solstice seats! I checked the measurements and pulled the trigger. Well, today they came in and man! These things are awesome. Brand new, no airbags to worry about and fit perfectly height wise. Super comfortable and supportive without trying to do a ricer impression. They have a slightly different footprint than the Miata seats, but just a drill hole away! Also, they're made to mount flat to the floor, so the seat "sits" perfectly in the Z.

Pics will follow tomorrow, but in the mean time, the guy has 3 more sets, and they're priced really well. He did a really good job getting them to the nearest freight terminal for me.

For those of you who might be interested, the link is: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmotownQ2dpartsman

Maybe this will help someone out!

Bryan

Guys:

I'll try to answer the questions you guys asked.

The DAD seats were sold to a friend of mine for his firebird.

When the body shop was doing the body, I took them the Miata seats and had them weld in steel plates on the underside of the floor pans where the seats would mount up, so yes, they mount on the floor.

Joel:

The packaging and shipping cost via Con-way freight was $200. Steep for sure, but in the end, worth it to me.

My car is going to be driven on a regular basis, so I wanted comfort, strength (non flimsy design) and supportive for "fun" events and long trips. The durability factor eliminated a lot of aftermarket sport seats and the size of the Z limited my other options.

The solstice seats fit all those requirements for me.

I'll get some pics of the seats in the car tomorrow.

Bryan

Ask and you shall receive...... :)

Here are the pics of the drivers seat - btw, it's just setting there, not bolted.

DSC04636.JPG

DSC04640.JPG

DSC04633.JPG

One note: they're sitting a little higher right now as some of my insulation/wiring/carpet padding is getting in the way. The seats will drop by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I'm really pleased with them. Plus, it looks like you could win them for significantly less than me.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, they look great!! I did not want to speend the $400 for a pair so I did not win the black pair for sale.

I checked in on the auction for the Tan/Blk ones, during the last 52 seconds of the auction, and ended up with those, for $152. I think I will just have the Tan dyed Black if when I get them I don't like them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190227827139&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Is the leather genuine leather? Its hard to tell what your going to get now days. Just cause they are said to be "leather" does not mean it really is...

What do you think about yours Bryan? The real deal?

70e0_3.JPG

Wow that's a great price. You and I both got snipped on the black ones. I think I snipped you and then within the last 5 seonds I lost too. Oh, well the Corvette seat search continues.

Thanks Bryan, they look great!! I did not want to speend the $400 for a pair so I did not win the black pair for sale.

SORRY GUYS.....I snipped both of ya...the black seat are mine :mrgreen: and Im picking them up next week.

I hope the white stitching will take dye!!!!

Great deal on the 2 tone seats!....almost free!!!

Sp

Wow that's a great price. You and I both got snipped on the black ones. I think I snipped you and then within the last 5 seonds I lost too. Oh, well the Corvette seat search continues.

YOU *&^%$#:fmad:. LOL, just kidding. Post some picts so I can feel real bad!!!:cry: I am glad it was a HybridZ ,member that got them.

SORRY GUYS.....I snipped both of ya...the black seat are mine :mrgreen: and Im picking them up next week.

I hope the white stitching will take dye!!!!

Great deal on the 2 tone seats!....almost free!!!

Sp

You guys crack me up.

Joel - In my opinion they great. Someone else may have a different opinion, but from three sets of seats experience, they're the best yet, and would've cost me significantly more to find something that was comparable and in that condition. I bet you'll be pleased.

Dale - give him a shout. I believe that he has more coming.

Bryan

Is the leather genuine leather? Its hard to tell what your going to get now days. Just cause they are said to be "leather" does not mean it really is...

Wait wait wait...I've got a Seinfeld.....

"They're real, Jerry and they're fabulous....."

I think that the seats are leather and the back is a fabric.

I have already sent him a message. I came close to paying the $400, if the shipping wasn't so high I would have. One of my co-workers is going to Detroit this summer and said he would pick them up for me. Of course his wife may have other ideas when she realizes how big two seats are.

You guys crack me up.

Dale - give him a shout. I believe that he has more coming.

Bryan