HybridZ

Traction Issues with the RB's

Canadianz

Well the Datsun moved under its own power the other night which was very exciting, so we are getting very close now. I also got a ride in an R32 GTR, MAN those things are quick ! Im wondering now if my rims will be too small to give the car any traction, I was looking at a set of 16x7 rewinds with I think 205/45/16 rubber on them. Its not set in stone yet though . What size of rear tires are you guys running and how are you finding them? Ideally I would like to get some 16x9's and flare the cars but choices for a Watanabe style rim is pretty slim in that sizing. Any one have any ideas or experiences that could help me out ?

Thanks

Chris Crombie

225's with sticky sticky rubber would be a bare minimum. If you don't have rims already, then you might want to look at other options.

I can spin my 315's in 1st, 2nd and slightly in 3rd. I'm not talking about clutch dumps here. Hard roll ons to WOT.

A nice 245/45/16 would be my personal recomendation, with minor adjustments to the bodywork/ or use with coilovers for no body mods. Anything wide in 17's starts to get pricey, and will require more substantial body/suspension mods.

It all depends on how you want to drive the car, and what are your long term goals.

Hope to see it out on the roads this summer!

i have 245/45/16 on the rear

225/50/16 on the front

required rolling the fenders and some pulling. Depending the on the tire - I am using R compounds - this is still slick

Q

This is exactly what I'm going to run on my LS1 Z, 245's out back and 225's in the front. I still have to roll the fenders when the car gets out of the shop.

Thanks for the feed back, that defiantly helps. I really really want a set of Konig Rewinds but unless they can custom make some fat ones for the back I might not. . . I was going to go 7's all around but after getting your feedback and riding in a skyline Im thinking other wise. So basically I need a combo that allows at least 245's or more in the rear ?

I just got a set and a half of the XXR 513 rims... 16x8 for daily and 15x8 for drag radials for track use... fairly light all in all, around 16lbs maybe and they are decently wide enough to get some sticky rubber on them (as above (245's for me for daily)... I'll be using MT 235/60/15 Drag Radials at the track which should hook nicely. check them out... these are the 15's.

PS like the finish on my garage floor? lol

rims 002_thumb.jpg

rims 001_thumb.jpg

Becarefull what you wish for!!!! Lots of HP and traction is not the s30's rearend freind. !!!!

Agree 100%... for street I run 255/50/16 on the back and for drags I run 275/50/15 Nitto 555's. When the tires are cold they spin alot when they are at temp and sticky I break parts.

Dragonfly

My car has 620 RWHP, and 500 FT LBS of torque, and I run 315/35/17 R1 BFG's, basicly a groved slick, and it breaks them loose in first and second just rolling on to it, on a 70 degree day! But it is a heck of alot better than the 245 Nittos 555R that I used to run.

i think a factor often overlooked is the profile of a tyre

if you look at a slow motion picture of a drag slick launch you will see the tyre deform elastically into a semi eliptical shape(bit like an oval in a wave motion)

this has the effect of increased contact patch as the tyre balloons ahead of itself in contact with the track

i do not think that eg 18" rims with very low profile tyres have enough side wall give to allow this effect to occur

lowering your tyre pressures really help too

as usual a street car is all about compromise,unfortunately drag racing set-up is often in direct conflict with circuit racing requirements....depends what you really want to do best

i think a factor often overlooked is the profile of a tyre

if you look at a slow motion picture of a drag slick launch you will see the tyre deform elastically into a semi eliptical shape(bit like an oval in a wave motion)

this has the effect of increased contact patch as the tyre balloons ahead of itself in contact with the track

i do not think that eg 18" rims with very low profile tyres have enough side wall give to allow this effect to occur

lowering your tyre pressures really help too

as usual a street car is all about compromise,unfortunately drag racing set-up is often in direct conflict with circuit racing requirements....depends what you really want to do best

This is why a lot of people downsize rims for track use tires... i have a MUCH larger sidewall for my drag tires (235/60) versus my driver tires (245/45)... more sidewall flex + grippier compound= more traction:)