HybridZ

Fixing the wrecked zed

I think the scotch pads are better for just paint and surface rust. A good way to remove bondo is the wire wheel. Some spots on my car had around 1/2 inch of bondo and Id just buzz through it pretty easily. Didnt take any of the metal off so It worked well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some pics of where i left the car for the weekend. Got a bit done but not alot. Well here is the pics

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

And for those of you that wondered what i used to strip it here ya go. Also this took off bondo and paint/primer

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

Yeah that's real similar to what I was thinking of using. it's kinda like a brillo pad but with like grinder material embedded in it. sandwiched into a disc. Do you know what Grit those pads you used were? I've seen at Lowes there's a few different roughness levels of pads.

Ahh okay, Direct to Metal, DTM, Totally makes sense now. That's looking good so far with the primer on there. I know you're going to do some sanding, so I guess dust in the primer isn't so big a deal. Can you see any swirls from the sander through any of the primer? I'm just trying to pay attention so I don't muff up my car when it's my turn to refinish. Thanks so much for posting so many pics!

Phar :)

wirewheel cup + corded drill > angle grinder + anything.

I wirewheeled my door, and it took a total of like 20 minutes and it is so smooth! I also wirewheeled the rear of my car when I figured removing bondo with a heat gun and a scraper was taking too long.

wirewheeled the poop out of the car and it cut through the bondo like butter. of course I then hit fresh, uncured 25 year old bondo at some point because the bondo was so thick and the proper hardner ratio was not used.

surprise surprise!

sorry no pictures but if you go onto ebay.com which is the american version and type in 5"cup wire brush or item number 370065182878 these are the exact same ones i used not to hard and very good for removing filler or as you say bondo and a good price for 3 hope thats of some help regards 240zchevy v8

Well i got my wheels in today and i had gotten my tires in on Monday. And well i got them mounted today and here are some pics. Also just been doing alot of body work on the car. Ive got the drivers fender and door pretty much done. Ill got to fix a few spots but its getting pretty strait. I cant wait to get to the other side of the car since that side wasnt wrecked and will be much straighter.

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

nice, those look pretty sweet, What kind are they? They look like the Panasports. looks like you went with 17's, and Falken tires. I had Falken' 512's on my 300zx, n they were okay, but I really like my dunlops better.

I see you did some welding on the body damage by the door, Was there a hole there?

Looks like you'll be trimming or something for the fender flares. you could cut, then bend the metal under to keep from creating a sharp edge. but how were you planning on doing that...?

It's all looking great tho, I really love the pictures..

Phar

Alright I got a bit done this weekend. Got the Drivers side door, and front fender to where i want them. Just will need to spray another coat of primer on them. I even filled in the door mirror holes since im going to fender mirrors. that was fun trying to weld patches in there but i got it done and then put duraglass over it. The roof is also ready for the last coat of primer. The big thing that took a while was the straightening of the rear quarter. I was able to hammer and dolly it back into shape. it will still need to have a skim coat of bondo on it but it will work very nicely. i only have a pic of the rear quarter all banged out so here ya go.

DSC01161.jpg

here is what it looked like before

DSC01120.jpg

Which set of wheels? the new ones? or my old ones? And ive looked around and i cant find the lifters. And i know they where in the box. Ill refund ya some money but idk what happend to them. I might go by the ups store and ask tomorrow.

Alright, update time. Got the zg's mounted on one side. Started the body work on the rear quarter around the wheel well on the drivers side. That will be the end of the body work that was caused by the accident which is honestly probably around 60% of the work that needs to be ready for paint. Well here are the pics again.

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

Im really happy with the way the zg's turned out. I was afraid that my car wasnt going to be low enough since im only running stock suspension with cut springs. But it has a nice stance to it that i can live with till i get my ArizonaZcar coil overs sometime in probably the far distant future. Well its late and i need sleep. Later all

Hey yeah, that's looking good, Are you planning on painting the ZG's as well? Also, did you have both side mirrors on the car before you're deciding to go with the fender mirrors? If so, are you going to keep hold of your passenger side? I could really use one... ;)

Phar

Ok update time. Its been a while. Ive been busy. Ive got the whole car except the hood bondo'ed up. The panels arent perfect yet but they are good enough for me to do guide coats and it will go so much easier. Oh ya i also got all the zg's mounted on both sides. So i have a few more coats of high build on the car right now and ill prolly do another one tomorrow, and then ill start a guide coat and ill block sand. Well here is the pics, these will get everything up to date.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

a little late here, but the wire wheel/cup with an angle grinder is my favorite for removing paint.

The drill method works, but I prefer the ergonomics of the angle grinder.

Quick tip from my experience. Cheap angle grinders are your friend!

Go buy three from harbor freight when they're on sale.

Outfit one with a cutting wheel.

Outfit the second with a grinding wheel.

Outfit the third with a wire wheel/cup.

Saves a pile of time when fabricating stuff.

Also look around for a deal on makita, milwaukee, or dewalt 4"ers

They sometimes come in a 2 pack for $75-90. But then again, you can just get the harbor freight ones for $15 each on sale.