HybridZ

planning a engine build

gjc5500

I am currently planning a engine build for my 240. i wanna stay with the L24. i was wondering how big you can bore the stock block safely. would i be able to go big enough for a set of 280 pistons?

thanks in advance

-gabe

Yeah, I know where you are coming from man. Search around, you'll find a few of my old threads, where I wanted to do that same thing. You can't bore the P30 block that far and expect it to last. Biggest you can go safely and reliably is 85mm. (L18 pistons come to mind...if you can find them.)

Like Tony D said, Get the L28 block. It's the same money, same favors, but much more potential. i was a die-hard "use-what-you-got" guy when I started here. Still am, but it's not worth the extra money to try to make more HP with less engine. Save the money you'd spend on the L24, spend part of it on the L28 shortblock, and dump the rest into the cylinder head. Pour as much as you can stand into the head, if it's power you are seeking.

"Forrest" had an overbored L26ET that was a 2.7 liter... I believe it was a 1mm overbore. I have seen an L28 made out of a P30 block but you can plan on either using dry sleeves to help reinforce the block or a rather short engine lifespan.

L28 blocks aren't THAT hard to find. You just have to be patient.

In California L28 motors are practically laying out on the street corners compared to the east coast...