HybridZ

very bad pull when braking!!!!!

i have a 83 zx turbo and when i step on the brakes my car

pulls to the right very hard. i am not sure what the problem is? i thought it was an alignment issue at first but my car rides pretty straight down the road. it only pulls to the right when i brake. then i thought one of my front calipers might be bad so i jacked up the front of the car and and had a friend sit and keep their foot on the brake and i tried to spin both wheels. they were both locked i couldn't budge them. so i have kno idea. i havent checked the rear brakes but i didnt think that they could cause such a serious pull. does anyone know what can be causing this pull under braking.thanks

Well, you either have an excessive amount of brake pressure on one side vs the other or an alignment change is happening. If the T/C rod is in tact, how are the bushings? Do you have poly, heim, ball & socket or new rubber there? It could be a control arm bushing, as well. If one caliper is freezing up and not sliding like it should, you could have less pressure there than the other, causing the issue.

I would suspect the brake calipers themselves. one might be sticking and not allowing full force. Make sure the pads are also in good condition, and there isn't any sort of residue on the rotor.

my car was doing something similar, but it went away when I replaced the pads and bled the brakes thoroughly.

today i will try and bleed the front brakes. i know i need new pads. but they still have a little life in them. i was just curious i want to change them and get really good pads that i will be able to use at the track. if u have any suggestions please let me know thanks.

Did you check your T/C rods yet? I had this same issue a few weeks back and that's what it was for me. Didn't see it until I looked at the suspension the second time. It didn't feel like one of the calipers wasn't working, it was a much much harder pull then that. It also wasn't as noticable under light braking. But under normal stoping it pulled to the left like a mo-fo!

Guy

Did you check your T/C rods yet? I had this same issue a few weeks back and that's what it was for me. Didn't see it until I looked at the suspension the second time. It didn't feel like one of the calipers wasn't working, it was a much much harder pull then that. It also wasn't as noticable under light braking. But under normal stoping it pulled to the left like a mo-fo!

I'll second this, especially after reading you installed poly bushings. Here's a related thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=87758