HybridZ

My true HID retro fit - BMW e46 Bi Xenon

I've been poking at this project for 2 years now, but finially got around to doing the install.

When I bought the e46 BMW Bi Xenon complete headlights for a retro fit, they were real popular with the retro crowd, but I since learned there are much better projectors out there to use instead of the e46 projectors.

The hot lick now are the Acura TL Bi Xenon projectors, that have a much better beam pattern.

I went ahead and used these cause I did a couple mods to them that helps the output. I bought a pair of clear ZKW replica lens, and a pair of custom water cut cut off shields, that after I swapped them out, looks much crisper, and the cut off line is nice and strait across.

The lens that came on them were slightly opec, and the cut off shields slopped downward on the ends, making the cut off light slope down on the ends...

I will try and finish up this weekend, and take some beam shots on a wall somewhere. I did take a couple shots last night (just one projector), before I put them in the buckets, just to see what they looked like on a neighbors shop wall.

More to come...

149042840_o_thumb.JPG

149042863_o_thumb.JPG

Guest 280ZForce

I'll be the 1st to say that looks awesome Joel... hehe coming from another true Bi-xenon projector owner.

How far back into the wheel well do they sit and also how are you going about for sealing/waterproofing them from behind?

Another thought... paint the surrounding mirror reflector that is not used anymore black to give them some depth and contrast to your cars red/black colors?

Well after Justin...Joel let me be second to say that looks fabulous...you guys are pushing the talent envelope farther and farther...I love it...just keep it in reach for us lesser mortals 'kay!

Also what was the the wiring ballast like and did you have to upgrade your car's 30year old harness?

My best - Yasin

I'll be the 1st to say that looks awesome Joel... hehe coming from another true Bi-xenon projector owner.

How far back into the wheel well do they sit and also how are you going about for sealing/waterproofing them from behind?

Another thought... paint the surrounding mirror reflector that is not used anymore black to give them some depth and contrast to your cars red/black colors?

Thanks Justin! yea, yours has always made me want to do something with a Bi Xenon set up. I hadn't thought of blacking out the chrome on the H4 headlight... that might just look good. I have not buttoned up the front lens yet on the old H4, so I can still get at it and black it out... we'll see...

I will take some pics of the back side. They are aprox 2-3" closer to the wheel. I opened up the back side of the head light bucket. I just need to seal it back up. Thats all.

Well after Justin...Joel let me be second to say that looks fabulous...you guys are pushing the talent envelope farther and farther...I love it...just keep it in reach for us lesser mortals 'kay!

Also what was the the wiring ballast like and did you have to upgrade your car's 30year old harness?

My best - Yasin

My complete car has been re wired with a painless knock off harness, so this would not have strained it, but to make things closer to a plug n play, I bought a HID harness a guy on the HID retro fit forums makes, and they are killer for the price and ease of use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLUG-N-PLAY-HID-RETROFIT-HARNESS-H4-FOR-ALL-BIXENONS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ020QQitemZ300236731463QQtcZphoto

H4BI-xenon_thumb.jpg

few questions..

Where did you get the 7" lens? did you modify an old 7" headlight and cut a hole for the new projector?

Im confused why you mentioned the BMW E46 Bi Xenon headlights.. when it looks like you used the Acura TL (ZKW replica's) projector..

so did you use the E46 HID ballast!?

few questions..

Where did you get the 7" lens? did you modify an old 7" headlight and cut a hole for the new projector?

Im confused why you mentioned the BMW E46 Bi Xenon headlights.. when it looks like you used the Acura TL (ZKW replica's) projector..

so did you use the E46 HID ballast!?

I used a new pair of the AutoPal 7" housings, and cut the back side out for the BMW e46 projectors to fit into the 7".

7b7f35f43943492a9ui6.th.jpg

hidelectrical014yx5.th.jpg

dcp0057tc9.th.jpg

tmp56178sv.th.jpg

I used a pair of the ZKW repo crystal clear lens inside the e46 projectors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-ZKW-REPLICA-CLEAR-LENSES-TL-BIXENONS-HID-PROJECTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ019QQitemZ290241411674QQtcZphoto

The Acura TL projector is a lot different look/shape than the e46. Its more of a enclosed projector. I'm buying a pair, and another pair of the AutoPal housings to do a retro with those.

I used everything from the BMW lights I bought (housing, ballast, igniter, Phillips bulbs).

boschalgen2fr0.th.jpg

Stupid question, well two:

1. Does it fit feel, meaning does the entire housing sit almost in the same place as stock housing. I was just wondering if there were any clearence issues with the wheels?

2. Is everything water tight and do you plan to drive it in the rain?

3. Would you be willing to make another set? This is what I got so far:

Picture_0332.jpg

Stupid question, well two:

1. Does it fit feel, meaning does the entire housing sit almost in the same place as stock housing. I was just wondering if there were any clearance issues with the wheels?

It will all fit back in the modified headlight bucket. There is a lot of hacking and modifying to make this work. I'm confident it will clear my wheels, as I'm only gaining a couple inches...

2. Is everything water tight and do you plan to drive it in the rain?

I will have everything bagged up and tucked up and out of the way underneath the plastic fender protectors. Yes, I plan to drive it at any time.

3. Would you be willing to make another set? This is what I got so far:

Picture_0332.jpg

This really is something that has to be done as you go, with the car right there. I don't think I could pull it off for you via the mail... sorry.

EvilC, in the picture of your parts, is that just the lense or the whole projector?

Just a heads up, the last time I tried to retrofit into some cheap 7" ebay housing, the glass doesn't come off easily and cracks, it could have just been me.

J. Soileau, Check these out. The are the lenses I plan on using. It has the same black face as you talk about and also has a turn signal built in. They aren't real projectors but i plan on using the projectors from my E30 318. I'm just slightly worried about fit, as they are ebay specials. No matter what I'm sure if there are any fitting issues they can be modded to look absolutely stunning in your car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380036651494

Update: Finally got it all buttoned up, and took it out for a spin tonight.

I will be tearing it all back out again shortly. I've aquired a pair of the Acura TL projectors, which are considered the best oem projector out right now, so I will be swapping the BMW e46 set up for them, soon as I feel like going thru all this again... :cry2:

im001909se3.th.jpg

im001910fw4.th.jpg

im001912wb6.th.jpg

im001917nx9.th.jpg

dcp0057tc9.th.jpg

0002zu4.th.jpg

dcp0084pp6.th.jpg

0007ee4.th.jpg

dcp0083ei4.th.jpg

dcp0087qh4.th.jpg

looks great, particually those inner fenders which look alot better than the dodgy ones i made up, but it took you long enough though! although if i had an rb26 i know which side of the project i'd be spending my time on getting finished first!

once you have hid's the desire to upgrade never stops, unfortunately the money to 'waste' does though :(

linchpin360 you may as well just get 7" housing's without the project in them already as those ones will be useless...

Thank You!

That's nice, are you selling the e46 projectors? :)

I may end up having this set up for sale. I'm waiting on the el cheapo 7" housings to arrive, so I can start fitting my new Acura Bi Xenon projectors into them for the newest retrofit.

When I remove everything, I'll take pics and show exactly what will be availible for sale. It should be pretty much a bolt in affair, as I'm starting fresh with un moded rear head light buckets. That way this kit will be removed complete and intact....

All that will be needed is to purchase the pre made harness with relays, that can be purchased for $35 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLUG-N-PLAY-HID-RETROFIT-HARNESS-9004-TO-E46-BIXENON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ36476QQihZ020QQitemZ300236731442QQtcZphoto

Definitely looks great! I'm running a TL Bi-xenon retrofit on my 2005 Frontier and love the output. You'll like the change. I too would be curious to see how the painted interior housing of the new cheapo lights looks.

This sort of conversion will be a must whenever I get my hands on the perfect project.

• 2 weeks later...