HybridZ

Looking at buying a Ferrari Dino PICS!

Mauisnow13

Ok, it's a Kelmark GT Kit Car. haha. Still though, I may trade him for my Porsche 944. It has a rotary engine in the rear. What do you guys think?

Anyone have knowledge or experiance with these cars?

Oh, and I'd be giving up getting a Z also.

PICS!

01010001160101030120080530ddbb113c7bc3e15f4f008f0b.jpg

0116080104030103002008053055c3e6feb6995b180e00a000.jpg

0101060102010103112008053026ae9bb3ee7d5482aa00bebd.jpg

01020801161301040120080530b2be40da4603c2370a00771c.jpg

The spoiler would be coming off.

I may trade him for my Porsche 944

When I read this, I thought, no, don't give up your porsche for a kit car.

Oh, and I'd be giving up getting a Z also.

Then when I read this, I thought. Are you crazy.

No seriously, I haven't really ever been stirred by the car. I mean, it has nice lines, but it just doesn't do it for me. I would rather a Z or a 944. But that is purely preference. I also just realized that I didn't contribute anything constructive to your thread. Sorry

I am sorry, but I have *NEVER* liked kit cars...and I mean "NEVER*....the knock off Porsche 911, Ferrari and Lamborghini ones are *simply* the worst.

The build quality is crappy as they are mostly fiberglass from badly made moulds, terrible noise and heat suppression, uncomfortable interiors, the wiring in my old Console TV is better, they all run bastard engines (in your case an old roachy carb'd 10A, 12A rotary - no thanks!), tranny combos...they have one plus and only one..they are light...but would you want to get into an accident in one?

You are selling two great sports cars that demonstrate build quality, performance, handling, safe, reliability, good looks...I could go on and on...

The novelty of driving one of those would wear off faster than a Sunday morning hangover.

Sorry for being "hard and cynical"..but you asked.

Yasin

Well I have been around the real ones in the past 7 months being a Ferrari Tech now.. They are great fun to drive and beautiful cars. The REAL ones are haha. I would never own a kit car, its just trying to be something it will never be. By the looks of it, its a money pit that will never be something special. Sorry to be harsh but its my opinion. Your porsche is a lot cooler then that. Just save up $130,000 for a real one :)

I would LOVE to own a kit car..

Hell some of the Factory Five kits are amazing and they handle!!

Ferrari and Porsche and Lambo.. ok those are an obvious.. you don't buy them purely for looks..

Other kit cars though? They have the looks and you can build your own performance! In the end you have a cool car.. who cares if its a "replica kit car"

I have to agree with Proxlamus. How about the Ultima GTR? Those cars are amazing. 0-100-0 mph in 10.3 seconds.... They pretty much smash any car in acceleration, turns, and with some modifications, top speed.

If your Porsche is in good condition and running well, I'd just keep it and get a Z. Looking at everything from parts availability to bang for the buck, I think a Z makes more sense.

Unfortnuantely the market for non turbo 944 cars is soft. If your car is in good shape mechanically and cosmetically why not put in on eBay and set the reserve at a number that is fair for you but still will make the car sell.

Non Turbo 944 cars are not the fastest cars in the world, but they are still dead sexy, good handling cars that will cruise at over 100mp/h all day, trying doing that in a Civic!

Yasin

There are so many differences between the two. Not just the engine and driveline but wiring and lots of others. They are almost two different cars. Another thing about a Turbo 944 is they tend to be less reliable.

BTW, the smog laws here....well, there's not too many. It's fairly easy to do almost anything. :)

So what would it take to stick a nice turbo on your current 944? Thicker HG to bump compression, T3 or maybe a Holset, megasquirt, . . . ? Just an idea if the Porsche is in good condition, don't have a clue how the Porsche motors are built.

I've sorta looked into it. They make a Turbo kit for them that sells for 4,000. It is the only one that I have found. The same company also makes a supercharger kit that would bump the power close to 300 and put the 0-60 in the high 5's i believe. Although that is 5,000. It's not really worth it. It'd be cheaper to sell mine and buy a 944 Turbo.

Plus, I really want a 240z turbo! haha

There are so many differences between the two. Not just the engine and driveline but wiring and lots of others. They are almost two different cars. Another thing about a Turbo 944 is they tend to be less reliable.

BTW, the smog laws here....well, there's not too many. It's fairly easy to do almost anything. :)

I would never convert a 944 N/A to a 951... again. They are indeed two completely different cars. Just rerouting the fuel and brake lines so they wouldn't get cooked by the turbo was enough to make me not want to do it again. Also, there was a lot of unwanted cutting and welding involved to make things "fit."

I do enjoy the 944s as freeway cars though.

I've spent a fair amount of time around FFR cars and around FFR owners, and I have little doubt in my mind that they're far more refined than the origonals they replicate. I've never met a FFR owner that tracks their car that regretted owning the car.

With a well designed chassis and parts that truly work with the chassis there's little fear of it being a rattle trap or feeling like a tin can.

That being said... I wouldn't touch this dino replica.

I might like some kit cars out there, but I'm not stupid.

Now, if only the Ariel Atom was availible in an affordable kit...