HybridZ

Rebirth of a Road Racer

Just got the car aligned yesterday and also took care of the exhaust (3"). The car is nearing completion. I will be taking video tomorrow, and will hopefully have it uploaded by Monday. Will take video around the car as well to detail the flares. I was told by John Williams that the molds for the flares are still available and could possibly have another run made.

As an update - I did indeed toast the rear end. I put it back in (full of dope this time) and ran it up the street. I'm sure the bearing(s) are gone. Roared like a lion. Fortunately, I had a spare CLSD that I got from this forum that had 80K on it. Popped it in and it's smooth as silk. Spent the whole weekend dorking around with taking out and putting in rear ends. I'm good at the process now though!

Gotta take care of a few little gremlins that are arising (as they always do) - but will be ready to hit the track as soon as the next event rolls around. Oh yeah - I need tires too. Egad...does it ever end? Hmmmmm - NO!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blowfuel

Im having a roar (kinda like my tires are rubbing, but they're not,) sound.

You think maybe the rear differential?

It started after I stomped hard on the throttle.

OK - shot this last evening with my digital camera, so the quality isn't great. Will redo during better daylight with the camcorder - once the wife relinquishes control of said device.....

And yes - my valves are adjusted properly. The valvetrain is noisy due to the cam, and for some reason, the mic on the camera tended to accentuate the clack.

http://www.hangoverture.com/cars/VidRun.mpg

Give it a little time to load.

VidRun.mpg

Hmmm - there's supposed to be video. It worked fine for me when I checked it out at work. Course - I'm not the video guru - it's just a .mpg file. It failed on me here at home. Let me work on that. Yes - there is video to go with the audio! My bad......

Try to right click on the link above and do "Save Link As" - save it to your hard drive and play it from there. I gotta get this up on YouTube - ratz!!!

That's a great LUMP LUMP LUMP! Good throttle response, too!

Any chance you can park yourself and that camera back by the tailpipe and have your wife rev the throttle a bit?

I'm very jealous of you right now...still waiting for my car at the paintshop.

You live in Georgia, right? Are you planning on bringing that beast to Z DayZ this spring? (Fontana Village, NC at the end of May)

Again, congrats, that sounds awesome.

I guess that all depends on how much gas costs at the end of May! It's like driving a Sherman tank. There is no guts in the car, no carpet, no sound deadener - nothing. It's loud and obnoxious, and good God - the fumes are unreal. I don't know if I'd even make it out of Ga. without passing out. I've just put in the hatch inner weatherstrip, and still have to do the doors, but the PO cut out the rear wheel wells to give clearance for those wheels, so the a$$ end of the car is wide open. I made some inner flare liners out of sheet metal, but there's still some open areas that fumes (and rocks) come in. It has a nice pebble collection in the back hatch area, as the slicks like to grab them and fling them into the rear area. There's still a lot of work to be done, and I need tires BADLY, but there is a chance I'll make it! Gives me something to shoot for nonetheless.

Duct tape is your friend when sealing a car up for a highway trip to show the car to other people. Obviously you have greater problems than can be coped with with merely duct tape, but I feel relatively certain that a solution for all the fumes can be found with a liberal application of duct tape, along with a few helper materials such as, but not limited to:

Garbage bags (tough ones)

Odd scraps of sheet metal

Corrugated plastic real estate signs (waterproof, light, cuts with scissors)

Paperboard if all else fails

You certainly wouldn't be the first to give a damn nice Z-car an awkward set of "road clothes" just to survive a long trip with wits intact. :mrgreen:

I'd skip the duct tape and go with blue painter's tape. It isn't nearly as sticky so you have to be more liberal with your application, but it doesn't leave behind the same kind of residue.

WOW!

That sounds is absolutely amazing! Very deep and it has a perfect lope to it. Easily one of the very best exhaust notes I've ever heard from an L series :D

The vid wouldn't play in browser for me, but saving the link to my computer was pretty quick and it plays just fine in WMP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK - well it's been a while, and rather than poking at keys and posting pics on the web page, I've been busy at work...

Just did the first oil change after about 200 miles of break in. Cam looks great, and the Oberg oil filter does a spectacular job of cleaning the oil. The 10 micron screen had all kinds of gunk in it, while the 60 micron had only a few pieces on it. They work well in tandem. I've finally got oil temperature. Drove it to work last week and after about an hour in traffic - I got it up to 160 degrees. I have installed a Spal puller fan and removed the stock unit. Installed the new harnesses and put a shorter slave cylineder arm on. Clutch was slipping a little and thought it might be due to the slave cyl. arm. Haven't tested yet.

But - the biggest feat - we've got paint! Yes - I broke down and did the $40 RustOleum job. Home Depot is my friend. Thinned it down about 2:1 paint to thinner and put it in a nice DeVilbiss gun. Tack coat went down OK with a few fisheyes from not prepping it as good as it should have been. Laid the second and third coats on nice and thick and it covered up the fisheyes completely.

Yes - I prepped the car minimally.

Yes - I shot it in my backyard

Yes - it was above 60 degrees

Yes - I pissed my neighbors off

Yes - taping it off was the biggest bear

And Yes - I still have about a half gallon of it left over. Looks like the truck is getting paint this Spring.

I was going to hold off posting pics until I got my Rota RB's back from the powdercoater. I guess I decided against that huh?

I'm having the centers of the Rotas redone in a gloss white to match the car. Got the wheels yesterday and they fit like a champ! Got the 17x9.5 -23 offset rears and the 17x8.5 +4 offset for the fronts and that my friends was the perfect choice. The lips on the rims all match in depth and they fill out the flares perfectly. Street tires will be going on the Rota's, the race rubber is going back on these wheels.

Without further adieu....pictures please!!

Prep1.jpg

Before...white stripes were sanded down and blended with the level of the blue paint. Everything scuffed with 180grit.

Before.jpg

My paint booth - HVLP guns ROCK!! 90% of the paint went on the car and not in the air or on the grass.

After.jpg

About 30 min. after the last coat.

240WhiteFin1.jpg

Untaped and in the garage.

Paint33.jpg

Paint34.jpg

Paint35.jpg

Paint36.jpg

All in all - I'm pretty happy with it. No sense wet sanding or going further than this. It's a race car. It's gonna get dinged up. And when it does - I just go to Home Depot and buy a rattle can of RustOleum Gloss White and touch up as necessary.

Will get more pics when the Rota's come back and I get them on the car.

Mission accomplished!! Ready for Road Atlanta Mar. 14-15!!!:mparty:

Unfortunately, that is one set of two that I know to be in existence. They are Boyd's Wheels (Boyd Coddington) made in 1996. Ron Zappendorf of Discovery Parts has the other set on his car. I've not been able to find any history whatsoever on them. The race rubber that came with the car when I bought it is going on those wheels. and I'm putting the street rubber on the Rota's that I just bought. If I could find another set, I'd for sure turn them your way, but I'm clueless about them, and the car was apparently setup for them, based on the way they fit. I'll keep researching.....

Are you certain that the wetsanding between the coats with the rustoleum job isn't a step that helps the paint adhere together into one strong coating? I would have to go back and re-evaluate alot of what I have read about that technique, but I was somehow under that impression... if it is just for looks, then I am SUPER GLAD to hear your comments about no wetsanding in between, because as you said... racecar paintjob!! Its there to be used, not to look super pretty. As long as its pretty, its pretty good!!!!

I'm sure that technique is probably good for overall longevity, but as thick as I put it on , it's probably going to stay on there until someone hits me or I put it into the wall! Strongly debating picking up a quart of red and trying to emulate the BRE 46 car...but still up in the air. I guess for now (and for simplicity's sake) I'll just leave it alone and run the pi$$ out of it!

Don't let yourself get trapped into mimicking the BRE cars.. there is ALOT you can do with some red and some blue on a white car that pays homage to the BRE heritage, and TOTALLY still looks BRE that is more than simply two diagonal parallel stripes on the front quarter.

Whatever you do, it looks great, and its *always* nice to see another rustoleum job; encouraging, if you understand my drift.