HybridZ

Me vs C6 Z06!

80LS1T

Well I went to the track on Friday night with the hopes of getting into the 11's with the nitrous. I mounted up some new BFG Drag Radials, 275/35/18's but they rub hard on the inner fender. I am going to have to do something about this because I can not launch as hard as I want to.

First I ran a motor run to get the feel of the track and new tires. Then I turned on the nitrous. I have been having an issue getting the nitrous to work but I think its user error. I have a window switch and a progressive controller and I think I had some settings messed up before. Well I put the window switch to turn on at 3000-5700 RPM's @ full throttle and put the progressive controller to 50% initial shot(about 70HP) to ramp up to 100%(about 140HP) after .2 seconds. The nitrous deffinetly worked for 3/4 of the track but at the end it seemed to load up some and stumble a little. Well this run just happend to be against a brand new C6 Z06! I was just praying that I had the nitrous turned on correctly and that I didn't miss a shift when we lined up! LOL I got the jump on him and felt the nitrous working and ended up winning by .212 seconds! I ran 12.319 @ 116.601mph and he ran a 12.531@114mph.

80LT1 Vs C6 Z06 video

Oh and incase you were wondering why the track did not show our times, its because it was a "Real Street Drags" night. They try to make people who street race to come down an do it on the track. You can set up anyway you want to......give car lengths, delay starts, etc. They just have the win light on and the tree if you want it.

Guy

Congrats on the win!

.2 that's a pretty good race.

So how does it feel beating that much $$$? Was the drive home that much sweeter?

I'll be honest......it felt great! Although at the end of day he has a mid 12 second car with A/C and a warrenty! LOL I still get more attention at the track than that Z06 though!

Now I just need to get the tire rubbing issue fixed, get some better 60' times, and dial in the nitrous! 11's here I come!:cool:

I'll be honest......it felt great! Although at the end of day he has a mid 12 second car with A/C and a warrenty! LOL I still get more attention at the track than that Z06 though!

Now I just need to get the tire rubbing issue fixed, get some better 60' times, and dial in the nitrous! 11's here I come!:cool:

True, but your car has class. It's original, absolutely beautiful, a sleeper and not many street cars can come close.

True, but your car has class. It's original, absolutely beautiful, a sleeper and not many street cars can come close.

Yes, thanks, and nope! LOL I get comments everywhere I go about how nice my car is. I know that guy in the Z06 probably doesn't. It's a sweet car but its new and looks like every other C6 unless you know the differences. Sometimes I think how nice it would be to have a new car with the same performace level but then I think "it just wouldn't be the same driving a car that any Joe Schmo could put together" Nobody asks about a supercharger kit on a GTO and how they got it to fit! LOL(not that I would buy a "GTO"

Guy

PS....yeah its a big file, I loaded it up right from my camcorder. I should try to figure out how to compress it.

For future refference, any good divx encoder works wonders on compressing video (google avi encoders).

I agree with said comments. The Z06 is nice, no doubt. You could drive it across the country comfortably, and it's a seriously quick car.

...but your car has something it won't have for a long long time, character.

...but your car has something it won't have for a long long time, character.

No knock on Guy's car and what he accomplished, but a Z06 has no character but a 280ZX does? :confused:

To quote a line from "Pulp Fiction": "Just because you are a character does not mean you have character" :D

Very well said! :2thumbs:

Guy, Congrats on your run...

Mike

No knock on Guy's car and what he accomplished, but a Z06 has no character but a 280ZX does? :confused:

To quote a line from "Pulp Fiction": "Just because you are a character does not mean you have character" :D

I guess I mean character in the way a brit would use the term.

Say you drive an old POS, it's falling apart in some ways but it keeps holding together. You could probably afford something a bit newer that won't cause people to worry about your well being, but something keeps you connected to the car. It's character. No matter how many times an Alfo Romero breaks down it still has something special not all cars have, character.

That's what I mean by character. To a lot of C6 owners, their cars are disposable. If something newer and better that they can afford comes along they've switched boats. A lot of C6 owners were C5 owners. The C5 is getting left in the closet waiting for it's price to drop so someone less fortunate can dust it off and make it his own.

That to me shows that the C6 hasn't earned it's character yet. It's just a fancy new toy. I'm sure they're nice, and I don't bash what they can do, because they ARE impressive machines and I don't want to seem too harsh on them.

But the 280ZX reminds people of an era gone by. It's looks tell you it's desperately trying to clentch onto the 70's while the square 80's econo boxes strangle it silly. You sit in a 280ZX and you can almost feel the dealership the car came from. You look around and see power everything. The mirrors make funny noises as they swive around at the flick of a finger on the center console. The windows tell you how heavy the glass is that it's trying to push up. And the smell...

Oh the smell.

I've sat in over 100 S130 cars now and they call have this familiar smell I can't describe. But it's been imbedded in my head as a "Z" smell forever.

That's character people. The 280ZX has spice that only an older car can have. And I think the 280ZX is very special in that it has no visual sibling from any manufacture. The S30 and Z31 can be tied to many other vehicles that they were either based off of, or influenced. The 280ZX is very unique from many angles. I wish the Z31 hadn't of been such a clean slate redesign.

The C6 looks like a spiffed up C5... Only car guys can even see the differences besides the headlights.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

EDIT: Mikelly's signature shows something of character. The fact Porsche has stayed so true to their values produces cars with lineage, with character. They're a special make of cars.

I have no problem with any particular car.

I've always admired restored cars due to the effort, attention to detail and the reasons.

If it was not for others buying cars that I can not afford there will be nothing for someone else to buy later and restore.

I'm so pleased esp. gm on the quality and ingenuity they have put into their vehicles as of late.

If my son loves the style of some early 2000 rig when he is older then he might find one that he can restore. Or maybe he will buy something new.

I will discourage him if he wants something new that will tax his families budget. The particular car (zx) is wonderful in what can be done to it and will serve me well as a place to dump unwanted money into over the years w/o breaking the bank.

Now, when you do have the money and can buy a great (newer) car and put money in it as well....... This will give the future generations better understanding of what works and what dose not. How versatile the car is what are the strengths and weakness. At one time our Z's were new, thank goodness someone bought them.

I guess it is kinda like a revolving door. New car goes in gets old then gets reborn then gets old again and so on. Would not be as much fun it that were to stop.