HybridZ

Z pretenders.........ugh

Mauisnow13

I go to a lot of local Cruise-Ins, and while I'm amazed at how many young kids love my car- I mean 6-10 year olds, they all think it's a Mustang! I've heard that at least 4 times. Perhaps it's the only "sports car" name they've heard marketed?

Then when I tell them it's a Datsun, you should really see their little eyes roll back into their heads while I'm trying to explain that one. Sometimes even the adults have no idea. :D At least they love the car.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, the only time a kid ever mentioned anything about my car, was this probably 10 year old kid playing with his friends, saw me walk out of my apartment to do laundry and he told them all "That's the guy with the tight Nissan!"

how did he know it was a nissan? I have no idea. maybe the kid's bright and knows that nissan=datsun?

Oh, and I was trying to explain what car I had to a co-worker, and as soon as I said "Datsun" she went, "oh, those crappy econo-cars?"

*facepalm*

I said "No, a Datsun 280z, the first widely successful japanese sports car in the US"

she just had this look saying she was totally lost.

then I said it was the older brother to the 350z and then she FINALLY got that it's a sports car.

ha ha, no joke i just had that happen to me, some guy explained to me that the 300zx came with a v8 in the late 80's, i do wonder how these ppl get their info. prob heard it from some guy that heard it from some other guy.

Hey I didn't Say Nothin...................................

Everyone thinks datsun=crap but with the ricer crowd the 350z is equal to god.

Amen. hahha. The 350z and the g35 are the most amazing machines ever produced.:icon56:

I was talking to some of my car buddies from school and we were on a computer. They kept looking up 240sx part's for cool "mods on my car". hahha... Another time I was talking to some "z32, z33" guys and they told me the s30 doesnt exsist and that it was just a concept in japan never produced. :lol: This got me laughing really hard. And then when i told them I had one they were like "NO WAY DUDE!".

Another time I was talking to some "z32, z33" guys and they told me the s30 doesnt exsist and that it was just a concept in japan never produced. :lol: This got me laughing really hard. And then when i told them I had one they were like "NO WAY DUDE!".

:icon52::malebitch

Yeah saying its an old 350z really helps. Everyone thinks datsun=crap but with the ricer crowd the 350z is equal to god.

owning more than one z really clears it up... example:

"hey what is that"

me: "it's a 300zx Turbo"

"oh twin turbo?"

me: "no, the 350z is the latest z. Before that was the twin turbo Z. before that was thing thing. Before that was the 280zx. Then before that were the 280 260 and 240z.

"i dont get it"

me: "THIS CAR (pointing to 87 300zx), is THAT CAR 11 years later.(pointing to 76 datsun) BOTH CARS are what the 350z is today."

"ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

it's amazing how many people don't know about the old Z's though.

most of the time instead of explaining it in detail I just do what you did Challenger and say " it's the 350z, 30 years ago"

Oh, and speaking of Z pretender's, has anyone heard of a 3.1 N/A that can do 10 second 1/4 miles?

some tard on youtube was saying that a stroker 3.1 n/a can do 10's if built right, and that you need a big rear end like a 5.xxx because "they don't make good torque"

>_> a stroker that makes crappy torque, that's a new one to me.

I really doubt a 3.1 stroker could do a 10, considering how our engines are limited to not much more than 100hp/liter

If I have one more moron ask me what year my rx7 is, I am going to strangle them. Mazda dreams that they sold half as many rx7's as Datsun sold S30's. When I correct them they always ask "are you sure?" No, I am a total idiot and don't know my car from another.

Lol, i just remembered something funny. Glenn, my ex-manager (he quit for reasons unknown) is letting me keep my car at his house so I can work on it. His neighbor I guess saw me working on it one day, and asked Glenn what kind of car it was.

He told him it was a ferrari, and the guy totally bought Glenn's story.

some idiot decides to argue with me that he had a 76 260z....i was like ummmm my 260 is a 74...and it was only made in 74.. and it only came out in 74 and ur 76 is a 280z..he said i didnt know anything about datsuns...wat an ignorant fool

actually I think they came out in 75 too.

early got the 240z chassis, later got the 280z chassis if I'm not mistaken (highly likely!)

it's amazing how many people don't know about the old Z's though.

most of the time instead of explaining it in detail I just do what you did Challenger and say " it's the 350z, 30 years ago"

Oh, and speaking of Z pretender's, has anyone heard of a 3.1 N/A that can do 10 second 1/4 miles?

some tard on youtube was saying that a stroker 3.1 n/a can do 10's if built right, and that you need a big rear end like a 5.xxx because "they don't make good torque"

>_> a stroker that makes crappy torque, that's a new one to me.

I really doubt a 3.1 stroker could do a 10, considering how our engines are limited to not much more than 100hp/liter

possibly, but with a 5.xxx rear you'd probably be at the very top end of what the car will reach by the end of 400 meters.

actually I think they came out in 75 too.

early got the 240z chassis, later got the 280z chassis if I'm not mistaken (highly likely!)

My 75' was built in... 11/74 I think. It might have been 10/74, I can't remember. But it's a VERY low 280Z VIN, not a 260Z. If there's a "75 260Z" rolling the streets of america I think it might be a mistake. As far as I know, when they made the change to the 280Z they did the change to 75' as well.

I'm gonna have to try telling people my car is a ferrari sometime...

When I got this 280Z I'm daily driving a lady at work asked:

"What kinda car is that?"

"It's 75' 280Z"

"oOo, those were cute cars."

She's old enough to remember them to some extent, and sadly that's how the Z cars get remembered by a lot of women.

Ok, women call the smart car cute. They call the bug cute. They call lots of piles of poo cute.

When a woman calls a ferarri anything, it's normally sexy. Not cute. That's the difference.

The new 350Z has quite a large female buyer base, and many of them call it cute... so things havn't changed much.

But on the upside, that means the 350Z will be as cheap to get a hold of as the S30 eventually. There's no way the enthusiast market will ever hope to keep up with the huge turn around of all the casual buyers.

lol so ill be able to buy a 350z in another 35 years or so :-D

Well the Z32 is already comming down under $5k if you look around.

When the 350Z becomes outdated with the next gen, give it a few years and the Z33 cars will just plummet. I'm guessing that by 2015 a Z33 will go for less than $5k of todays american dollor, which might be $7500 by then. That's cheap enough for most people to get a small loan on. And I'm betting they'll still be ticking just fine.

By then I'll be 28, and maybe I'll be ready to settle down and get a "new car"... :-D That's about when I could see myself buying a 350Z.