HybridZ

MSA Twice Pipes Installed

~KnuckleDuster~

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i was talking about the same thing challenger was....

personally, i love the rumble of the l28et through a 3'' and no muffler. like big phil's, or his buddy chris's...thw tice pipes are nice but i can't wait for the day when i can do a turbo swap

why would these so-called "twice pipes" be so significanlty different and awful sounding on a turbo motor?? They just split the exhaust up into two pipes beyond a certain point; even without the turbo in line the system comes from MSA to attach to a single pipe, the front most piece in the kit as sold is a Y pipe that splits the exhaust into two..

"Twice Pipes" proper are a fully divorced exhaust system, usually used on V engines, with one pipe per cylinder bank. "Proper twice pipes" on an L-6 would group 1, 2, and 3, and 4,5, and 6, each into one of two separate pipes all the way back through the exhaust. THIS type of setup is the one subject to the infamous power loss through loss of exhaust pulse scavenging..BUT, regarding THAT issue, it takes a specifically engineered head-pipe (read: engineered to your specific block, not engineered to some mass-produced L-esries standard) to REALLY take proper ADVANTAGE of the exhaust pulse scavenging anyhow.

My point is.. what difference is there between an exhaust system that exits the turbo downpipe, into a splitter, and then runs two pipes back to two outlets on the car; and an exhaust system that runs downpipe, through one pipe, into a muffler that has two exits??

We must keep in mind that the MSA Twice Pipes Exhaust System is "twice pipes" in name only; it is a SLIGHTLY mis-applied name, and as a result everyone thinks all these things about the system.

I'm sure it would sound different from the norm on a turbo motor; I can't quite explain away the difference it makes in the sound of an NA (even though I just posted an argument saying that from the technical side of things, it is essentially identical to a standard exhaust system) so I can understand that the sound might be something one could consider AWFUL.. is that the biggest reason that you recommend against it?

hmm....very good points there.

i guess my argument would be that although the Y pipe is 2.5'' the two separate pipes are only 2'' i believe. maybe smaller.

i just don't know if it would flow as well as a regular 2.5 or 3'' turbo back system...

who wants to try it out? :D

hmm....very good points there.

i guess my argument would be that although the Y pipe is 2.5'' the two separate pipes are only 2'' i believe. maybe smaller.

i just don't know if it would flow as well as a regular 2.5 or 3'' turbo back system...

who wants to try it out? :D

pi * r^2 = cross sectional area.

3 inch exhaust 3.14 * 1.5^2 = 7.065 sq in

2.5 inch exhaust 3.14 * 1.25^2 = 4.906 sq in

4 inch exhaust 3.14 * 2^2 = 12.56 sq in

dual 2 inch exhaust 3.14 * 1^2 = 3.14 sq in times two pipes = ~6.25 sq inches.

dual 2.25 inch exhaust 3.14 * 1.125^2 = 3.974 sq in times two pipes = ~ 7.95 sq inches.

Dual 1.75 inch pipes are almost dead even (just a hair smaller) than a single 2.5 inch exhaust.

With twin pipe exhaust systems, though, there is a greater surface area of pipe being lowed though, so to counter that you need to slightly increase cross sectional area.. Exactly how much increase is needed depends on the length of the pipe in question.

So, in the end, a single 3" pipe is definitely higher flowing capacity than dual 2 inch pipes.. but the gain between dual 2" pipes over a single 2.5" is MUCH greater than the gain between 3" and dual 2", and dual 2.25" pipes are almost as much of a step ahead of a single 3 as the single 3 is ahead of the dual 2s.

haha well, in 4 or so years when i get the swap done, i'll try the twice pipes and see what happens.

and i agree...i think there's more to it. besides, if i'm going turbo i'd want want jus a straight through 3'' all the way back, no glass packs. call me crazy but i like my cars loud haha!

did you have to purchase a new header to install the twice pipes.....or were you able to use the original header. i am now considering putting this system on my car. I am still wanting to either put a hks, or apexi n1 muffler on my z with a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system on my 280z.....I just want something unique, something no one else has.

did you have to purchase a new header to install the twice pipes.....or were you able to use the original header. i am now considering putting this system on my car. I am still wanting to either put a hks, or apexi n1 muffler on my z with a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system on my 280z.....I just want something unique, something no one else has.

You can order it to your specs. If it didn't end up working out an exhaust should can just install it for you around $100

no, you can use the stock header. it comes with a new Y pipe which goes into a 2.5'' collector and then out to the duals. you WILL howver, need to use the original gasket for the Y pipe.

Keep this in mind- looks cool, sounds cool, but on anything close to a stock engine we always lost power with a dual setup compared to a single pipe when running 6-2 headers. And not a trivial amount either. Just a FYI....