HybridZ

Who sells multiple guages built in one? (4 in 1, 3 in 1 or 2 in 1)

Sorry about that Matt. I did not see you mention Autometer or Summit already. I have been looking for the same gauges myself and have contemplated an IS300 cluster swap.

I like sweep gauges over digital because you do not have to look directly at them to gleem information. The relative position of the needle picked up by your peripheral vision is usually sufficient.[/quote

Ill let you know if I find anything. Anyone know the circumference of the IS clusters (est.?)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the deciding factors in why I got my IS is the gauges.. I freaking LOVE EM!!. Having multiple gauges would be nice!.. let us know what you end up using aziza..

I hated the marketing that lexus put into their "chronograph-styled instrumentation" because MY "IS" (the datsun inline six, heh) already had it! and it was an antique econo-sports car, not some overpriced luxury toyota... I can't rag on the lexus too much, though. it DOES look nice in the vehicle its in, and the vehicle itself brooks little criticism in my mind.

I am EAGERLY watching this thread for outcome, because I have a feeling you and I are of a like mind when it comes to instrumentation.

What? Aircraft Spruce not have anything to your liking?

You said 'Jet Cockpit'---nothing more 'Jet Cockpit' than real aircraft gauges!!!

No didn't really like them. I said i wanted it to look LESS like a jet cockpit and more like a car again haha. Thats why im trying to lessen the amount of gauges in the car by seeing if I can get some of them built into each other.

have you looked into smaller gauges, that only use 180* of needle travel, to try to retrofit the gauge apparatus behind the stock faces???

I realize it is a complete do-it-yourself nightmare of fabrication.. but it is one potentially viable solution to less than top notch factory gauges that *I* have come up with in my mind.. I would have mentioned it sooner, but it seems you are in a blind alley now (and its a pretty desperate suggestion!)

In June 2007' issue of Super Street, page 64-65, shows a nicely modified bmw z3 utilizing a Stack super sports cluster by Defi. It has a sweeping boost and tach, while a digital section resides underneath. Perhaps enough compromise between digi and mechanical ? Here's my vote for just installing a Porsche 996 turbo gauge cluster, incredible design imho.

In June 2007' issue of Super Street, page 64-65, shows a nicely modified bmw z3 utilizing a Stack super sports cluster by Defi. It has a sweeping boost and tach, while a digital section resides underneath. Perhaps enough compromise between digi and mechanical ? Here's my vote for just installing a Porsche 996 turbo gauge cluster, incredible design imho.

Incredible design.. but only a 7500 RPM tach????

996_1.jpg

It IS beautiful, and incredibly functional.. AND it would free up the three holes on the center of the dash to house three other gauges (boost, oil temp, and A/F?)

I just dream dreams of 8200 revolutions per minute, is all....

JeffP retrofitted a Defi Stepper motor tach to his stock gauge cluster when he started revving beyond the stock tach capabilities... Added a 200 mph speedo at the same time. Looks good to me, stockish. Don't see why that Porsche cluster couldn't benefit from the same style of hackage...

The problem I'm having in finding guages is, Yes I want multiple guages in one... But what about turn signals, hazard flashers, "brights"? Just go on instinct I guess? It seems impossible to find a guages to do everything needed...

I was thinking of the same thing the other day. But i doubt theres something out there like that. I can barely find multiple gauges let alone ones with hazard and turn signals!

bah, two LEDs or regular bulbs and you have turn signal/flasher indicators.. another blue one and theres your bigh beam indicator. You could even gut an old switch and put all three lights into one housing in the center console.

Aziza, have you considered the option of finding gauges to frankenstein together into stock gauge housings/faceplates? It would be a MONSTER task to be sure, but..... ?? just a thought.

EDIT

How deeply did you check that westach website? No photos, sure, but it seems like that is what you are looking for. Maybe they could email you pictures??

EDIT V 2

they've got at least one image :D

3C86T14.gif

3AQ4-41KV.gif

These gauges would match the later 280 (77 and 78 were each subtly different) speedo and tach fairly well.... and you can "build an instrument" custom-like, so you could theoretically have the stock speedo and tach, and then add up to twelve instruments in 3 1/8 inch individual "Gauges" in each of the middle pods.... Good Find!!!

I came to the conclusion... All the stock guages need is some major updating... I think if led's were installed instead of bulbs makeing the guages light up brighter. One thing I wish is that maybe the stock tach should have a small led shift light.

Anyways I thought you had a 240zx dash or was going to use a bmw dash?

Ended up ditching both dashes and putting a 280z one back in. don't ask...I don't understand why i do half of the things I do....

I do the same stuff man, I Just kept the 260 dash i got because the other dashes I was looking at "didnt have enough guages". Most dashes just have a speedo, tach, fuel level, and volts. They dont have the three slots in the center that can be interchangeable. Ultrabright 12v white led's in place of the stock poorly lit 2.8v bulbs would bring the stock guages out. I'm just not educated enough to try an led light dashboard conversion. I've talked to the guy on this forum who does led taillights and he said his dash is led. I asked him if he could make a kit but he claims to be too busy at the moment. I think if the dash lights were properly done in led and the dash is covered it would look modern. Most modern cars are going back to the s30 style dash if you look around with the circular seperated guages. Look at Honda Fit's guages, 350z guages, etc... :icon30:

Daeron- Those guages look like they were pulled straight out of a 747.....

Hey, lewoolf found the website and pointed it out in the thread. I CAN say that my brothers' ITS 240 has a dual EGT gauge from these people mounted in it and it looks great, works great. It was in the car when they bought it, so no clues on ease of installation, but it fits the car rather well.