HybridZ

Adding a pre-muffler

proxlamus©

I wonder if a catalytic converter would also act as a resonator.

most likely. as far as I can tell, Nissan made one style of exhaust system for the 280z's but on no catalyst models, they simply threw a resonator in place of the cat. But I'm not 100% on that, I'm mostly going off what I can tell from looking at things.

btw, just running that center resonator sounds AWESOME on a Z haha, I'm almost tempted to just have a "test pipe" made up to go from the resonator to the back.

I'm running a straight 3-inch mandrel bent exhaust with a straight through Borla XR-1 race muffler. When I first initially chose the setup I was expecting it to be obnoxiously loud all the time. But to my surprise an almost completely straight through system is very, very quiet. I knew a turbo quiet downed the exhaust tone a bit, but I didn't think it would be that much. On the freeway it's non-existent while cruising at 75. Even when I go WOT, it's loud, but not THAT loud. My brother's MINI with a Quicksilver exhaust is louder at WOT. Fyi, this is with my sr20.

Whatever you choose you don't need anything fancy. Mufflers less than 50 bucks will do for a pre-muffler.

I'm running a straight 3-inch mandrel bent exhaust with a straight through Borla XR-1 race muffler. When I first initially chose the setup I was expecting it to be obnoxiously loud all the time. But to my surprise an almost completely straight through system is very, very quiet. I knew a turbo quiet downed the exhaust tone a bit, but I didn't think it would be that much. On the freeway it's non-existent while cruising at 75. Even when I go WOT, it's loud, but not THAT loud. My brother's MINI with a Quicksilver exhaust is louder at WOT. Fyi, this is with my sr20.

Whatever you choose you don't need anything fancy. Mufflers less than 50 bucks will do for a pre-muffler.

Not trying to be mean, but have you had your hearing checked? LOL. Just kidding. My setup is similliar except it is on a L28et. When I first got it, I thought there was no way I could live with it. After a while I got use to it though.

I have a full 3-in. mandrel bent exhaust to a single Borla XR-1 muffler as well. I am rather used to it. It does not drone at highway speeds, but you can definitely hear it. At WOT it sounds utterly amazing.

Rafe, I thought the same thing. I specifically told the guy who did my 3" exhaust I wanted a bad ass sound...and I got what I asked for. I love driving it around town. But even a couple of hours on the highway and it's just too much. Prox's idea of a cutout is a perfect compromise. Loud when you want to be loud, quiet when you need it....like when the wife is in the car.

Haha, this is true. I haven't been on more than a 2 hour ride yet, been close! At this point i'm more concerned with getting my stereo up to par with my twice pipes :D

But, this would be a very nice alternative to have either/or. And not a bad price at that!

I run full 3" from the turbo back in my rb25det powered S14.

I did experiment with removing the cat and putting a race magnum in place of it. The exhuast noise did not change dramatically, it did sound a little more uncorked. Locating the muffer under the car where the cat was kept the drone away and left me with a louder sound from the rear muffler (straight through 3.25").

You can "tune" the exhaust by moving the muffler (resonator) under the car to a different location. You can also do this by placing a different length in there.

John, how high were EGT's etc when that muffler collapsed? I am curious because I have one under my car where the cat was.

Evan

Coffee has just got to screw with all my plans!

What, now I will have to make my own bullet muffler for fear of internal collapse and fiber blowout...

Damn those investigatibe people with Band Saws!

Don't now the EGTs but the exhaust was on a Solo2 chapionship winning BMW M3 for 6 months. The car did do a couple track days but most times it was hard use for 60 to 90 seconds at a time.

For mild steel, sustained temps above 1,200 degrees will cause it to lose 40 to 50% of its strength. Add in the perforations and the muffler walls were bound to fail over time. The fiberglass packing also kept heat in the muffler.

A full 304 or 321 stainless steel muffler will last longer in a high heat situation. I always recommend Borla.

With my 82 I had a sebring ss muffler that was kinda a type of glass pack design. It is now on my 83. With the big cam especially around 3800 wot the car sounded so fantastic!!

Anyhow it was also loud! So in place of the cat (which was already MIA) I put in a 2-2 1/2 heavy duty glass pack to quite it down. Worked great and did not seem to hurt the sound much, just not as loud.

The sebring had a drone, but only at one rpm range. With the glass pack no drone at all.

Its very hard for us to determine exhaust sound changes over the Internet. Every car is different and things like outside temperature, cloud cover, etc. all impact exhaust sound.

One of the things I face all the time when building exhausts are growing noise restrictions at race tracks. I have a sound meter and I actually measure exhaust system noise on some of the race cars I work on. Unfortunately, what I measure here at the shop can be different by one or two orders of magnitude at Laguna Seca, Qualcomm, or Cal Speedway.