HybridZ

platinum spark plugs

freakshow

Horsepower TV did an episode a couple of weeks ago showing a 10 hp increase (going from memory) by going to an E3 spark plug. I believe summit sells them for like 4 bucks each. They said they compaired them to a similiar performance brand spark plug. It would be interesting to hear from any one who has experiance with these plugs. But with any claim in hp gain, it all depends on how the motor is set up.

There is no manufacturer like Bosch.....

Two kinds of comments come out of my mind generated towards those fine people: either superlatively positive (wiper blades are awesome, they make good "hard" electrical components like alternators and starters, and I am sorta partial to their FI system since most of the world essentially just copy-catted it :P) or OUTSTANDINGLY negative (spark plugs, old wiper blades, any component "rebuilt" in the third world.)

It seems that while they have a fantastic business model as a manufacturer, they have been overzealous in using the name to brand sub-par products and make more money; Just a simple case of greed. At least it isn't such astronomical corporate greed as many other firms are showing us these days.

Bosch is a good good company, who earns every drop of nasty criticism they get... but you can never lose sight of their overall policy of quality and longevity. Most bosch products/components that are trouble-prone are so trouble prone that they are "knwon" factors; my friend had an early 90s volvo with a faulty EFI computer, and the whole volvo community knows about the 561 versus 951 computer issue.. they simply released a more reliable piece of hardware that superseded the failure-prone one.

I have never spoken a single word about bosch spark plugs that was NOT bad.. but I hold my tongue when german vehicles come into the conversation; The way I see Germans and Germany (being 1/4 german and a student of history) it makes PERFECT SENSE that bosch plugs could function perfectly well in german-made cars and not in any other.

Thankyou for makeing a better point then I did! Since I had a point in this thread and you laid it out so well,, I will take my leave.

Thankyou for makeing a better point then I did! Since I had a point in this thread and you laid it out so well,, I will take my leave.

....soo, in other words, you are thanking me for talking too much. :)

(I mean, I just showed up and said the same thing you did, but took four paragraphs to do so:tongue:)

Awesome, your welcome.

Indexing spark plugs is new to me. For those of you like me here are 2 links:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/indexplugs/

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/pht/pht20001001sp.asp#

On our L series heads, what is the ideal position? Straight down (position of the ground electrode), or angled slightly towards the exhaust valve as mentioned in the article above? And what's the tolerance? The Ford article suggests that being within 20 - 30 degrees is good enough.

I frequent a few boards on the net, and have owned Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti product since 1990, alon with a few Ford products (latest a ''96 Town Car).

As a DIY'er, I have no problem changing plugs on ANY of my cars (including a '94 Q45a).

From my experience. copper plugs give the most consistent and hottest spark BAR NONE. One has to realize that due to emissions standard, the manufacturers have had to bow to government edicts mandating that engines basically shouldn't have to be touched for 100k miles, which is why platinum and iridium plugs have been developed.

The fact that they are not as good a conductor is a given - the fact that they last a lot longer in the engine has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they are what manufacturers are putting in their cars.

The simple fact is - if you want the best spark possible from easily available spark plugs, copper is the way to go (silver is a better conductor but let's face it - no-one is making silver plugs.

I'm not here to bash any manufacturer, but I WILL say that I have had my best luck on my '83ZXT with either NGK or Autolite Splitfire spark plugs.

NGk's are practically a given on Z cars, and Autolite plugs have always had a good reputation for turbocharged cars (I am 54 years old and have been hot rodding since 1968) where they have withstood the test of time and boost.

The Lincoln Online and Crown Vic forums all tell everyone to use copper plugs and simply change them every 30K. Idling and mileage improve as compared to the stock platinum plugs, and I will have to say that my experience has proven that out.

I had taken my Town Car in to get the AAC replaced, which of course involved removing some wiring on that side of the car. When I picked the car up from the dealership, there was a bad miss on acceleration (not at idle) that wasn't there when I took it in.

Long story short , the dealership wanted $450+ t0 rectify the situation - a basic "Tune UP" which involved replacing spark plugs and wires. For a grand total of $110 I bought Autolite spark plugs (copper) and Motorcraft (the ONLY wires to put on the 4.6 engines - no-one makes a better wire for these engines) and changerd out plugs and wires and the miss was gone.

This was at 96K miles, and the platinum plugs are supposed to be good to 100k.

I got better mileage, and STILL have better mileage after 50K than I got when the stock platinum plugs were in use.

I'm not lazy - normally 30K is the time to replace plugs, but my mileage hasn't suffered and the engine is as smooth as butter, so until I have a problem I ain't gonna mess with something that is working.

As far as I am concerned, there are only two spark plugs to put in Datsun/Nissan automobiles - either NGK or Autolite - and the AutoLite only if you're talking about a turbo'd car.

I am waiting for any rebuttals...