HybridZ

MSA turbo cams

BurnoutZ

Yeah they wouldnt need to go to high RPM, as you say most make power way below.

As for the floating problems Ive talked to alot of V8 hot rodders and others that say the hyd. lifters float. Its hard to say if its heresay because Ive heard it sooo much. Thats why I included "from what I know". Its hard to pass on anything that Ive read about/researched/heard because it might be wrong.

Floating takes away horsepower? Ever look a 'restricted lift' competition cams? The design a ramp to 'throw' the lifter off the nose of the cam, thereby giving the effect of actually having a higher lift than what you actually do. "Launcher Cams" they are called I believe...

You got to understand many SBC in the 70s had such terrible springs that they would float the valves at 4500 rpms! Machining tolerances weren't the best, either.

Remember, this ain't a SBC we're talking about, it's a Datsun L-6. Different animal.

This same myth crossed over into the VW World some time ago as Hydraulic Adjusters were available out of the box in Mexican Beetles. With as many solid-lifter cams out there, and with the 60+ years of development into them, anything that didn't give the predictable results of them out of the box during development of the newer grinds was given a bad wrap.

But after a short teething period, the Hydraulic Cams in the VW Type 1 now support pretty radical performance. Solids are still all over the scene for the above reasons, but for street engines and especially street turbo cars the Hydraulics with no noise and no adjustment (every 3K miles on a VW!!!) and comparable performance to around 7500-8000, more and more people are using them.

Right, it's not 10K rpm like the competition engines, but a competition engine on the street is a big mistake in more ways than one.

Corvairs don't have any of that reputation unless the lifter components are swapped around during rework of the lifters. All competition Vairs have Hydraulic Cams, and they rev same as SBC's with solids. But it doesn't stop people from lamenting 'if only a flat-tappet cam was available'...then again, if it works, why bother with the hassles involved? Especially on an engine that GROWS 0.100"+ from stone cold to hot operating temperature. Kinda makes a self-adjustable lifter system nice...

I would also suspect that in the case of the hydraulic pivots that the P90A uses, there is a basic difference because they do not have the mass that the lifters and valvetrain that a normal V8 has.

In my case , utilizing and automatic transmission, I realize that there is every reason not to turn much past 6k rpm (revs kill trannies faster than anything), so the lack of a decent (modern technology split lift/duration - wide lobe separation cam) isn't quite the bad thing, although I would like to have a better cam...

Boost is your friend Brad Man...

I have seen the stock hydraulic cam spin 450 rwhp. The profile is decent, it just makes the HP at lower RPMS than is 'exciting' for most people.

Some porting on the head and intake manifold, and you can get real good power on a turbo Z with a stock hydraulic cam!

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

So what do you do if want a turbo cam for an 81 or 82, or oine of the many 83's with mechanical adjusters.

My bet is the source was talking to sell something instead of with real justified technical background.

If the source was their supplier... I'd like to see their catalog with hyd and solid cam part numbers.