HybridZ

Supra automatic into Z

Rustyfriend

let me start out by saying that I have searched "supra tranmission" for a few pages and have found stuff on manual, but not auto.

right now i have an automatic z, and I really don't mind having an automatic. what kills me is that it is only a 3 speed, so my thought is why not try to mount an automatic from a supra. supras had a 6 speed auto correct?

would it be as simple as machining a plate to make the connection between an l28 and a supra transmission?

Supra's use3d a 4 speed automatic and 6 speed manual.

Warren has developed a kit to utilize any GM automatic (Chevy or BOP bellhousing) behind L series engines.

He is currently running at the 12's on a 13-15 psi turbo'd 2.9 liter engine running a 2004R in his '82 ZXT, and I am putting a 4L60E behind my ''93ZXT.

With Toyota Supra owners switching to GM TH400's in order to provide some reliability, I would think you are better off getting an adapter for any GM transmission you choose than what could only be considered a one-off conversion.

depends what sort of horsepower you are aiming for

i notice you mention you don't want a 3 speed auto,the easiest solution would be to use the jatco 3 spd + overdrive ("L4N71B") which can be built very tough (almost as strong as a C4 but not as cheaply),they have a very minimum of electronics(think only for kickdown,but easily converted to vacuum),i believe these boxes came out behind later model vehicles with the L28,eg nissan patrols 4X4 in australia anyway,but you can change the front housing over to the earlier 3 speed anyway

if you opt for a non-nissan 4 speed auto eg supra 340E,it will be very expensive and complicated and those trans are fully run by an onboard integrated computer....not retro Z friendly

if you opt for a GM/Ford 4 speed auto eg TH700 or AOD,you once again have the bellhousing,torque converter,speedo,electronics(not as bad as supra),tailshaft adaption problems and the need to spend big money to toughen these trans up for big hp....the 4th gear is always the weak link

if you are building a big hp combo then undoubtedly a C4,TH350/400 would be the cheapest most reliable option...but you are stuck with a 3 speed unless you do eg a gear vendors overdrive conversion,++$

summing up

L28 up to 350hp-L4N71B Jatco 3 speed+O/D

L28 350-500hp -C4/TH350

L28 500hp+ -TH400

if you have enough hp you won't miss that 4th gear unless you do a lot of highway miles

Warren's kit has a bellhousing adapter, torque converter to flexplate adapter and all dowels and bolts. I think that one option my be a speedometer cable. It fits all GM Chevy/BOP NON LS1 trannies (350/400/2004R/700R4/4L60&E.

He has a 2004R behind his.

As far as not taking a lot of power, automatic transissions have more problems with high rpm than with torque. Any tranny we use is gonna have to be built to handle much more than 350 ft/lbs.

The 2004R and 700R4 (and 4L60 non-e) do not require electronics other than a torque converter lock up clutch switch. You DO have the throttle valve cable that you have to adapt to your throttle linkage unless you want to go full manual valvebody.

As far as 4th gear goes - it is for cruising only - if you wanna get somewhere fast the tranny downshifts and you GO!

Since I am only looking for about what an LT1 or LS1 puts out, I'm not changing/upgrading the internals. I DID purchase a 10" lock-up converter with a stall around 2800-3000 rpm.

As far as other mods, I intend to go with a custom driveshat same as any V8 conversion with the flange for the differential allowing full size universals front and rear...

1-82 thru 83 Maxima A/T bellhousing (or entire trans ONLY if you are going

to install this unit into a Non-Turbo car with less than 200 HP)

1-82 thru 83 Maxima flex-plate with hardware

1-83 thru 89 Mitsubishi Starion or 84-89 300ZX TURBO ONLY! Torque

converter (these have either a 2450-2550 or 2750-2900 stall speed

converter) . Remember these listed converters are for use with a TURBO CAR ONLY, otherwise, use the 82-83 Maxima converter for normally aspirated cars!! Very important!!

1-83-89 Mits Starion A/T complete (for TURBO CARS OR HIGH HP N/A ONLY)

1-84-89 300ZX (with A/T) driveshaft.

1-82 thru 83 Maxima A/T bellhousing (or entire trans ONLY if you are going

to install this unit into a Non-Turbo car with less than 200 HP)

1-82 thru 83 Maxima flex-plate with hardware

1-83 thru 89 Mitsubishi Starion or 84-89 300ZX TURBO ONLY! Torque

converter (these have either a 2450-2550 or 2750-2900 stall speed

converter) . Remember these listed converters are for use with a TURBO CAR ONLY, otherwise, use the 82-83 Maxima converter for normally aspirated cars!! Very important!!

1-83-89 Mits Starion A/T complete (for TURBO CARS OR HIGH HP N/A ONLY)

1-84-89 300ZX (with A/T) driveshaft.

They made the RWD maximas till '84.

• 1 month later...