HybridZ

T5 Clutch Problem

Miles

I just installed a t5 with all new clutch components as part of a 72 240Z sbc v8 conversion. I am using a Camaro slave driven by a Ford M/C with a 1 in. bore. I am getting 1 in. of fork travel at the point where the slave connects to the t/o arm but the trans grinds going into reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

Miles, sounds like the clutch is not completely disingaging. But you are thinking the same thing as you stated the 1" fork movement. Strange, 1" should be plenty. I suppose the disk could be binding on the input shaft and wedged against the flywheel, just guessing. Any strange sounds?

I don't remember, does the T5 have a synchronized reverse? If you go from a forward gear quickly to reverse does it still grind? How fast is the idle? A high idle can cause rotation of trans components even with clutch disengaged which will cause gears to grind on engagement. Are you familiar with this particular trans? Could be worn out from someone driving with failing hydraulics in the past.

Black,

I believe you're right. That,and the fact that the disc still may have a light amount of minor contact with the rotating flywheel/PP with the cluch in (were talking about clearances of only up to about 25 thousandths of an inch here at most. In fact, even out of gear, I can since a very small amount of torque going to the rear wheels with the engine running and the car up (viscous friction?). But my T-5 does the same thing too.

For a number of reasons, even with the clutch depressed on a properly set up car, there will be some torque transmitted. Viscous transmission of force from the spinning flywheel/PP will make it turn, as well as any contact from a slight bit of wobble in the disk due to fit on the input shaft, etc. Another cause is improper alignment of the inputshaft into the pilot bushing. This can put a side load on the tip of the input shaft, turning the shaft even without a clutch disc present.

Thanks for all of your input. I was going to rip the engine and trans out, but will wait until I get my driveshaft cut and installed for some road testing. If after more tweaking of the hydraulics/linkages does not solve the problem then I pull the clutch apart.

Trivia time. Mr. Lamborghini was a tractor manufacturer, who perhaps abused his Ferraris, and once told Mr. Enzo that his transmissions were too weak. The 1st mass-produced Lamborghinis like the 400 and Miura has a synchronized reverse! I wonder if it was due to the way Mr. Lamborghini liked to drive? Or is it really practical in a performance road car?

• 2 weeks later...

The car is on the ground and road tested. It shifts perfectly using Lee's hydraulic set up from a Ford F150 and a Camaro slave. problem was that I failed to mention that the drive shaft was not installed when I tested gear changes after the clutch was installed. Once the driveshaft was installed the grinding in reverse disappeared.