HybridZ

Radio wiring

Ferrariferg

Well I just stayed up all night to get my new stereo installed. I had a hell of a time trying to find any useful information on what wires were for what. None of my books (Service Manual and Haynes) had any diagrams. And I did NOT want to rewire my car or run it off the battery like a lot of people do. So since i took the time to figure everything out with a test light and multimeter I figured I could post my findings for everyone.

You will have 2 Connectors. 1 six pin and 1 eight pin.

6 Pin (Not all Wires are used)

Blue with Red stripe- Constant Power/Battery

Yellow with Green stripe- ACC Power

8 Pin (Speakers. Some wires are used by multiple speakers)

Blue with Red stripe and Blue with Black stripe are Front Right

Yellow with Red stripe and Yellow with Blue stripe are Front Left

White and Blue with Black stripe are Rear Right

Green and Yellow with Blue stripe are Rear Left

Ground is the Solid Black wire that comes on your stereo harness. Just attach that to the car with a screw.

As far as the antenna goes I'll leave that up to you. Some people like to retain the factory Button and others don't.

Hope this helps someone. I know I could have used it.

Kyle

:-D

You are better off running new speaker wire from the rears as they are the easiest to get at. Nissan used a one wire common for left and right coming back to where the radio sits. If you rewire then you have separate commons for all speakers as you should have for a modern stereo. Be sure to tape off or insulate somehow the old common that you clip off the rear speakers. You could use the old hot side wires but I choose to go to a heavier gage wire.

I also ran all my three speakers its own wire and didn't use the factory wire, I disconnected. I can get the radio to work but now since i put my CD player in to my old radio. I am having problem with my dash light. My dash light don't comeup when i turn my headlight on and also the rear lights and all four side marker light they are not working.

I think its good to run a new wire for the speakers. I have 280zx 1980 non turbo 2 seater. Also if you search in this forum for manual then you can download them and if you look under electrical you can find the information on radio wires.

Guys also if you could help with what is going on with my lights since i put my cd player on. Also i have taken my cd player out at this time and still the lights don't come up on dash when my headlight is on and the lights in rear and 4 light around the car they don't work. Any ideas?

Hey bud. I just had the same prob with the same lights you are. I checked my fuses and they look good. But still nothing worked. I had to no sh!t pull each one out and and re-insert them and they all worked. Also check the wires going into you hazzard switch. I had one that the soddering was busted on and that was a prob too. I had to crimp them 2gether to get my dash light to work.

good luck

still better to rewire. while you are in there you might want to run new coax from the antenna the original is a little delicate. I've had two that were bad.

There really isnt a reason to rewire unless you are wanting to have a higher output sound system. I don't want anything with a lot of bass or anything. The old wires are working just fine. I can crank my rock all the way up and I dont get a bit of static or distortion. It's much better than what was in there. As far as the antenna. The only trouble I have with it is that the cable is about 3" too short. But that is an easy fix.

I do have another problem. My dash dimmer doesnt work anymore. Anyone have any idea why?

There really isnt a reason to rewire unless you are wanting to have a higher output sound system. I don't want anything with a lot of bass or anything. The old wires are working just fine. I can crank my rock all the way up and I dont get a bit of static or distortion. It's much better than what was in there. As far as the antenna. The only trouble I have with it is that the cable is about 3" too short. But that is an easy fix.

I do have another problem. My dash dimmer doesnt work anymore. Anyone have any idea why?

It might of fried out. I have an extra one here if you need it. OH are you hazzards working? Mine didnt work for at least 15 yrs. And I finallly fixed them.

It might of fried out. I have an extra one here if you need it. OH are you hazzards working? Mine didnt work for at least 15 yrs. And I finallly fixed them.

It was working before I messed with the radio. Its no big deal to me. I just like to keep as many things working as possible. My hazzards work fine. But hopefully I will never have to use them. lol.

• 3 months later...

Being an MECP certified installer, i have learned that the dimmer/illumination function typically causes problems. If not with your older cars system, the radios displays life is usually diminished.

With older cars, they usually use a common ground system, but I havent torn apart my Z yet. When I decide to tear into it, I plan on rewiring my stereo because the power demands/draws that new-age electronics have on this older wiring makes me slightly uneasy. Scosche also makes a hidden antenna that I have used in past cars with great sucess, compareable to a external antenna in signal strength, to shave the ugly one the PO put on there.

I installed my Alpine head unit about 2 months ago. Even wired up the dimmer and have had no problems with it. I did rewire all my speaker and had to replace all of them too. The 40w amp on the back of the head unit was too much for the stock speakers and blew them all. Let me tell you something, Getting to those speakers in the dash is not the easyest thing to do. But after some hard work I have a great sounding stereo with my Ipod hooked up in it.

you know i got to thinkin about that and i pulled the old radio out and i went dur, it doesent...or mine atleast didnt need a constant voltage because th presets were manual, you press the button (hella hard i might add) and it manualls moves the dial to the spot on the band