HybridZ

Deleted Distributor--What to do with oil pump shaft?

RisingSun

I have removed my distributor and capped the opening in favor of a crank sensed ECU system (L28, bored + stroked, NA). I know there are others here that have done the same thing:

Did anyone modify the oil pump shaft that used to connect it's other end to the distributor? As I look at it I wonder if it will cause vibration issues because the shaft extends past the bushing in the front cover and no longer has the bottom end of the distributor to anchor it.

What have you guys done?

Has anyone here just left it as-is, with trouble-free operation??

LD28's are good for more than just the crankshaft. Next time you're in there raping a perfectly servicable diesel for it's crank, pause long enough to pick up that tasty oil pump drive they have. No long spindle on it at all... Just enough to drive your oil pump!

In your frenzied rush for crankshaft bliss, you overlooked that tantalizing tidbit just waiting there to be massaged...

I digress...

I've been looking into this too, a search didn't reveal much.

I've seen what looks to be simple block off plates that replace the dizzy mount to one that I saw yesterday on a Supercharged L28 that had a nice block off plate just where the dizzy gets mounted for adjustment, on top of that little stand off.

My concern is the shaft being able to move in a linear motion inline with the shaft, towards the dizzy. I haven't seen any pictures of how the dizzy/oil pump drive is installed and if it gets retained in a way to keep the shaft down, towards the oil pump.

I've been looking into this too, a search didn't reveal much.

I've seen what looks to be simple block off plates that replace the dizzy mount to one that I saw yesterday on a Supercharged L28 that had a nice block off plate just where the dizzy gets mounted for adjustment, on top of that little stand off.

My concern is the shaft being able to move in a linear motion inline with the shaft, towards the dizzy. I haven't seen any pictures of how the dizzy/oil pump drive is installed and if it gets retained in a way to keep the shaft down, towards the oil pump.

I don't know if you had a look at my Z on Sunday, but I'm using a 35mm freeze plug to block off the distributor hole. Simple and cheap! I've had that in there for 7 years with no problems. The bearing sleeve for the shaft is just above the crank and keeps the shaft from going anywhere. There's no need for any additional support where the distributor used to be.

Nigel

'73 240ZT