HybridZ

Custom Pistons for High Compression?

z3r0n3

I'm looking into purchasing a custom piston set for my L28, but thought I'd ask for any advice ya'll might have for me before I consider purchasing something like this. My goal for this project is a 14/15:1 compression ratio, for running e85. Engine setup would be carburetted n42/n47, overbore 3mm (89mm), stock l28 rods, stock crank, and hopefully a metal head gasket that's about 1mm. I was looking at some Wiseco pistons that had a 9cc dome, and those about fit the bill, just can't find them to purchase anywhere. A 9cc dome also sounds kind of rediculous, i havn't done much research into those but i think that those might protrude the gasket.

Anyone else done something like this? Any advice would be golden.

YOu need to do lots of mockup with whichever head your going to use. With that desired CR, you need to have TONS of quench in all areas of the head. Lots of clay, and molding substance, to get an EXACT form of each combustion chamber AFTER the block is bored and the head dowelled to the block. Its not as easy as ordering something out of a cataloge.

I just checked and E85 has an octane rating of 105. I'd suggest you stick to closer to 12:1 compression, I think 14:1 is going to leave you pinging like crazy. You might try to see what high compression race engines run for fuel and work the problem from the other end. E Production L24's run somewhere around 12:1. You might see what octane fuel they're running.

1 fast z is right though, those 9 cc dome pistons are not a slap them in and run it type of thing.

12:1 would almost be attainable with just 89mm flat tops...unless i'm doing something wrong. Also, where can i find a good metal gasket for the L28? I've heard of the fel-pro and the hks ones, but i can't find them on websites? found a fel-pro on autozone, but it didn't say if it was metal, or what the compressed height was...

but i think that those might protrude the gasket.

Sorry, but... what? most domed pistons would do that. the domes are angled or relief cut to avoid PTV contact.

anyway, have you considered measuring your current head's chamber volume with the intended spark plugs, and then finding out the other parameters/variables required to make an accurate calculation of attained compression with various combos of pistons?

I know the L-Engine program does this, but heads and blocks vary to casting... so you may wanna check on that. I think with 12:1 or 13.5:1 you would be safe incase u get a horrible mix of ethanol somehow.

in that case you may want to run a J&S Safeguard too. :D