HybridZ

Best brake option ... 15" rims ... w/ e-brake?

Since well my stock brakes suck it's finally time for an upgrade. They are completely rebuilt with hawk pads and good shoes and they just dont have the torque to stop like I want. This is my autocross, drag, roadrace toy that I drive to all events. I dont even own anything that could tow let alone a trailer. I've had to drive home before with only the e-brake before due to a leaking fitting plus I use it when parked so want to keep it. The brakes are by far and away the most lacking aspect of my car and real uninspiring ... especially compared to the LS1 :). I figure it'll take at least a grand for very basic upgrade so why not spend the extra $5-600 for something better and I only want to do this once.

I like things light and purpose built so am really leaning towards the wilwood or outlaw w/ two piece rotor front. BUT there are only two rear options I can find with an e-brake. First is the 240sx but that would not match very well the fronts since it's so small. Second is this mustang set-up but I dont know anything about other than a bunch of hype 'stop on a dime' drill slotted bling kind of stuff. I also dont want to have to use a dual master set-up. So any recommendations for a good rear match for the wilwood or outlaw fronts that can still use an e-brake?

PS - anyone know how to get a hold of Mike aka scca that used to sell the outlaw kits as his site contact page is dead and he hasn't posted here in a couple years?

Thanks

Cameron

This new approach has recently been posted on the S30 brake sticky but just in case you missed it.

There is a chap here in Oz who has designed a new bracket for the Wilwood rear set-up which includes the parking brake. He is finalising the cable arrangement prior to conducting some performance tests. If all goes well he will start taking orders.

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=2192&fullsize=1

I'd stay away from the add-on ebrake calipers that wilwood and others sell. Everyone I know that's used them has had limited to no success... You might want to check with bajaracer. I'm can personally atest to the ability of those ford Mustang cobra calipers... They work very well...and they're OEM, so getting parts for them is a no brainer.

Mike

A lot depends of whether you want an "e-brake" or a "parking brake." If you want an e-brake then I would personally use an OEM setup (Mustang, 240SX, or something else). If you want a parking brake, there are a number of mechanical spot calipers available that will do the job.

4-lug and I really haven't given a lot of thought to e-brake vs parking brake but that brings up an interesting thought. I guess I would like a parking brake that has the ability to be used to limp home if I need it. Not necessarily able to quickly stop from high speed but at least something that can be modulated (ie not on/off).

Thanks

Cameron