HybridZ

Strut Gland Nut Removal Tool

Well while replacing my suspension I came to the part where I needed to remove the gland nut that holds in the original strut in the shock tube. The fsm shows a tool that is like a thin socket. We tried to get the tool from shucks but turned out they didnt have the right tool. So we ended up using a pipe wrench. :shock: Worked fine with very little damage to the side of the nut, but looking at the 90 ft lb requirement for putting it back on Id like to get the tool. Anyone know where to get it?

I have read that many strut inserts come with thier own gland nut.

I recently installed some Tokico strut inserts and didn't have the matching gland nuts, since they were given to me mildly used.

I used the gland nuts that were on the car, quite possibly the originals. The strut inserts did not snug up to the gland nuts. What I did was made spacers from 1/4" alumnium, that fit into the gland nut. Several hundred miles later, and no issues, just better riding and handling car. :)

When you put the struts in, is the gland nut the only thing you reuse? It doesnt seem like it is enough to seal the oil in.

The OEM gland nuts had an o-ring seal. Aftermarket gland nuts from Tokico and Koni are not completely oil tight and you can get some weeping if you get the oil fill level too high. If its a concern, you can use teflon tape on the gland nut threads and a very, very small bead of silicon sealer on the underside of the gland nut where is touches the top of the shock.

Tokico includes new gland nuts, a spacer, and a new nylock shock nut with each shock. If you're kit did not come with those parts the seller didn't include them for whatever reason. FYI... Tokico does not sell directly, you bought the shocks from a Tokico Warehouse Distributor and some of those guys skim parts out of the package and sell them separately.

You can seal any gland nut with what I posted above.

Ok, found the parts. Spacer that goes at the bottom, nylon nut, and new gland nut. I only pulled out the strut when I first got the package and then only was looking at the strut when I was trying to see what goes where. :)

Does the front also need a spacer? Only the rears came with the aluminum spacer at the bottom.

Why don't you contact the person you bought the shocks from for answers to these questions? I don't mind helping but since I sell these parts too, I get irritated sometimes when people buy parts from someone else and then expect me to provide product support.

My bad. I wasnt asking just you. I was asking anyone thats reading the thread since they are, or have installed the tokico's.

I also figured why call them if there is no issue which I thought was as simple as a yes or no answer.

Why don't you just insert the strut and figure it out yourself?:shock: