HybridZ

Electrical Power Steering

alexdeprat

Greetings,

I will like to know if anyone here has/had any experience with Electrical Power Steering (EPS), some of the new cars already have then installed i.e. Acura NXS, Honda S2000, Toyota Prius, etc... The little that I know is that EPS provides power assist even when the engine is stop (I assume that the ignition key has to be in the 'on' to avoid steering locked and to sent electrical power). It also improves fuel economy due to it is lightweight. The DC motor consumes energy only when power assist is require, along with that EPS is powered by a 12V motor and is not dependent on the engine for its power source, so the steering feel is not affected when the engine is shut OFF.

There is a member here that has perhaps, a Z ready kit for sale on his web site, out of his company respect I rather not advertise his name, since I just will like to know if anyone know, or driven a car with the such.

Thank you,

Alex

If it were wired in properly, I wouldn't worry about it. Like he stated above, several manufacturers have been doing this for years now. There is another thread on here somewhere regarding the possibility of doing a swap from a couple european cars, an Audi I think? but I couldn't find it.

I wonder if these electric assist systems have some sort of 'override' in case of an electrical failure, that they would not inhibit the complete loss of steering?

• Administrators
Greetings,

I will like to know if anyone here has/had any experience with Electrical Power Steering (EPS), some of the new cars already have then installed i.e. Acura NXS, Honda S2000, Toyota Prius, etc... The little that I know is that EPS provides power assist even when the engine is stop (I assume that the ignition key has to be in the 'on' to avoid steering locked and to sent electrical power). It also improves fuel economy due to it is lightweight. The DC motor consumes energy only when power assist is require, along with that EPS is powered by a 12V motor and is not dependent on the engine for its power source, so the steering feel is not affected when the engine is shut OFF.

There is a member here that has perhaps, a Z ready kit for sale on his web site, out of his company respect I rather not advertise his name, since I just will like to know if anyone know, or driven a car with the such.

Thank you,

Alex

As I understand it there are two variations. The NSX and S2000 have the assist built into the rack, whereas some of the others are built into the column.

One of our vendors is offering the latter style... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130027

P.S. Black text is easier to read :wink:

I fitted my own version of eps to my 1978 260z using a Vauxhall Corsa power column.

Not perfect but still works ok for what it cost me

I can adjust how much assistance it gives from none to full

ie turn it from lock to lock on the spot with 1 finger or 2 arms lol

th_2col5.jpg th_col2.jpg th_col3.jpg

th_fitted4.jpg th_fitted6.jpg th_fitted5.jpg

th_coll4.jpg th_2col4.jpg th_fitted1.jpg

Control box n ecu live tucked up under the dash area

Not obvious but thats how I like it.

Still needs fettling to get the "feel" right but its in and working

I can get the EPS setups, but they are a hit and miss item specific for the S30z. I'm hoping that there will be a expansion in their availability, thus bringing the price down. Even better, maybe someone stateside will make one here.

The ones I've gotten are from Japan, and not cheap :(......... I see them from $800 - $1200. I actuall did some searching recently and couldn't get one.

I fitted my own version of eps to my 1978 260z using a Vauxhall Corsa power column.

Not perfect but still works ok for what it cost me

I can adjust how much assistance it gives from none to full

ie turn it from lock to lock on the spot with 1 finger or 2 arms lol

Control box n ecu live tucked up under the dash area

Not obvious but thats how I like it.

Still needs fettling to get the "feel" right but its in and working

Great pictures:icon14:, after seeing then, I more and more like the idea of EPS into the Z.

Thanks,

Alex

:icon14:

As I understand it there are two variations. The NSX and S2000 have the assist built into the rack, whereas some of the others are built into the column.

One of our vendors is offering the latter style... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130027

P.S. Black text is easier to read :wink:

Greetings,

Thank you all for the inputs, Yes Ron, you are right about the certain models with EPS, if I am not mistaking all 95+manual trans. NXS came with EPS (don't know on the S2000), except the Zanardi models, The Zanardi has the same variable rack as the ‘95+EPS cars and they simply deleted the assist. As far as how it works, a steering sensor is located on the input shaft where it enters the gearbox housing. Perhaps ECU driven, don’t know much or anything, although I certainly like the Idea of EPS. Great info on the topic. Point taking on the black text, thanks:icon14:.

Alex Deprat