HybridZ

post me some questions

Hello Sir,

On a SBC swap in a 280Z, what is the best accessory bracket route to go to have the hood close and keep the a/c ? All i have is the water pump, alt and a/c to run. I have looked all over and can not find the answer. I have a VORTEC engine out of a 98 chevy truck and am running a carb.

Next question is would you use the datsun elec fuel pump or remove it and go to a sbc mech pump? 2 line or 3 ? and would you replace the datsun line and replace it to 3/8" ?

I appreciate your help. Thanks JJ

I always head to local salvage yards looking for the trucks , impallas and camaros etc for brackets, since this is presumably a performance build Id strongly suggest no less than two 3/8" ID lines,be used and a decent return line style fuel pressure regulator with a manual pump is fine

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=211&p=247#p247

Here is a question that nobody seems to have an answer for. How do you make the stock tach work with a 93 LT1. 94 and newer no problem but a 93 big problem. I have a 240, a 76 280Z and 78 280Z tach that I have tried. I have hooked the white wire to the negative side of the coil and while I get a signal, it's not even close to working right and that's with the 78 Tach only. Don't even mention JTR because they don't have a clue.

thanks for your anticipated help im new to hotrodding and i need some help i have a 383 with an edelbrock carb 750.the car is running it seems a little rich.i was thinking of installing an air fuel gauge.The questions i have is where should i put the oxygen sensor ?how to best install it?is this a good idea?whats the ideal ratio?it seems to me that having a gauge would be great especially if i add forced induction but i dont see many cars with them wonder why ?thanks again

Lgoodson: Don't say nobody has a clue. Post a photograph of the rear of the 280Z tach to see if it uses the same current loop as the 240Z which I have. If it does then we can experiment to get the 280Z tach working with the LT-1. It would seem that the 280Z tach needs to be in series with the power feed to the ignition coil. That would be the positive side of the coil which needs to be removed and routed to the tach then the other lead of the tach needs to go back to the positive side of the ignition coil. In this manner the ignition primary coil current is flowing through the pickup in the 280Z tach and back to the ignition coil.

thanks for your anticipated help im new to hotrodding and i need some help i have a 383 with an edelbrock carb 750.the car is running it seems a little rich.i was thinking of installing an air fuel gauge.The questions i have is where should i put the oxygen sensor ?how to best install it?is this a good idea?whats the ideal ratio?it seems to me that having a gauge would be great especially if i add forced induction but i dont see many cars with them wonder why ?thanks again

ok first

most fuel air gauges come with an oxygen sensor and detailed instructions on where and how to weld a bung into the header collectors

next, learning top accurately read sparkplugs and use of a infrared heat gun, and detailed knowledge of how your carb works will go a long way toward tuning a car correctly

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1820&p=4706&hilit=edelbrock#p4706

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=773

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=634

Rsicard. The rear of the 240 tach and the 280 tach are different. JTR says that the 240 will not work with a HEI ignition, The 280 does not have the power loop. It has just one signal terminal plus the 12v and ground wires. The signal terminal is suppose to be connected to the negative side of the coil or so everyone says but it doesn't work very well if at all. I don't know but maybe the 240 tach would work if connected the way you sugest, in the positive to the tach. I will try it.

I didn't mean to insult anyone but alll I was getting was " I don't knows" from everyone. The 93 LT1 is an odd ball, one year only.

Lgoodson: Thanks for the response. Not certain just what kind of signal the 280Z tach is looking for. Just know that my 240Z tach has a small loop on the back which I am guessing is a current loop sense of pulses drawn by the distributor. For the tach to sense the pulses the two tach leads need to be in SERIES with either side of the coil wire.

Grumpy, I have a 450 HP 1st Gen 350 SBC build in progress, going into a 240Z. I was planning on running a T5 W/C (which I own) but I am concerned about overwhelming the transmission. It's a street and road race car, not a dragster, so it won't see but one or two drag strip passes in its lifetime, and even then it will be on DOT tires.

I do have an opportunity to get a T56 out of an 03 Corvette. Every time I see the swap written up here, they say get the T56 from the LT1 Camaro. Well, that's not the T56 I have a line on, so I'm asking... can the newer Vette T56 be swapped in, or is there a lot more work to get that transmission running behind a 1st Gen SBC?

Thanks,

David

hi grumpy i have a m22 muncie 4 speed in my 71 240 z i changed my tranny fluid with mobil1 75w90 is that ok also i have a slight chattering noise coming from the flywheel area, i hear it when its in neutral.i thought i could take the shroud off that covers the flywheel whats the best way to investigate the noise to take off the shroud do i just hold up tranny sorry probably dumb question but i never did it thanks for your patience

toms car 3 021_thumb.jpg

toms car 3 022_thumb.jpg

toms car 3 025_thumb.jpg

Ok Grumpy.

I'm having trouble properly identifying an sbc.

The block casting is 3970010.

The Stamped Engine ID : V0618HV

The stamped VIN: 19J280937

The date code: F 17 8

The Cylinder heads : 3814480

The WInters intake : 3917610

I know the intake is off of a 1969 camaro 302.

The heads are 70 cc chamber with 1.72/1.5 valves. I think.

I know it was built in Flint, on june 17... 1968?

The HV is throwing me off, as well as the Stamped VIN.

One guy told me it was a 9:1 compression 255 hp Impala engine. But he also said that it was built in in Janesville....

I'm trying to sell it, so I just want to be able to correctly target my advertising.

I initially thought it was from a 65 vette, 350hp 327.

I'm confused after seeing all the different information out there.

Joe

hi grumpy i have a m22 muncie 4 speed in my 71 240 z i changed my tranny fluid with mobil1 75w90 is that ok also i have a slight chattering noise coming from the flywheel area, i hear it when its in neutral.i thought i could take the shroud off that covers the flywheel whats the best way to investigate the noise to take off the shroud do i just hold up tranny sorry probably dumb question but i never did it thanks for your patience

sounds like a well worn throw out bearing or slightly out of adjustment clutch linkage

Ok Grumpy.

I'm having trouble properly identifying an sbc.

The block casting is 3970010.

The Stamped Engine ID : V0618HV

The stamped VIN: 19J280937

The date code: F 17 8

The Cylinder heads : 3814480

The WInters intake : 3917610

I know the intake is off of a 1969 camaro 302.

The heads are 70 cc chamber with 1.72/1.5 valves. I think.

I know it was built in Flint, on june 17... 1968?

The HV is throwing me off, as well as the Stamped VIN.

One guy told me it was a 9:1 compression 255 hp Impala engine. But he also said that it was built in in Janesville....

I'm trying to sell it, so I just want to be able to correctly target my advertising.

I initially thought it was from a 65 vette, 350hp 327.

I'm confused after seeing all the different information out there.

Joe

it seems youve got a mix & match selection of parts

the blocks ID casting # seems most likely a 4" bore 327-or -350 cast in flint on july 18 1969

heads from a 327 built between 1962-1967

intake from a 302 z28

I bought my 72 S30 in june. When we picked the car up the original motor was torn apart sitting on the back deck. My brother had a spare L28 he wasn't using so i dropped that into it. I used the original S.U.s and intake manifold. When we got the car running it ran great. Then all of a sudden it dies one day. long story short i put a carb rebuild kit in it. That got it running again and i tunned the carbs to where i thought the engine ran the best and i drove it again and it does this thing where the engine is really sluggish and barley has any power. It will iddle fine sometimes and the engine will be will be really snappy but it seems like when i drive it it takes a really long time to rev and pull through. I took it to a mechanic 3 times and he still hasn't figured it out. I was thinking vaccume leak possibly, but i think the carbs are tuned fine because 1/3 of the time it runs great. I really don't know. There aren't any good z mechanics in my area.

Any help would greatly be appreciated,

Glenn,

hey grumpy, i have a question for you. Do you know of a company that sells a driver side low/mid mount alt bracket for a SBC with a long water pump. All the ones ive seen are for a short pump. If i can avoid it, i would rather not have to replace all my pulley's and pump since i just bought them. I need to move it to that side so i can 1) close my hood, and 2) use my stock power steering lines without having to have custom ones made.

I bought my 72 S30 in june. When we picked the car up the original motor was torn apart sitting on the back deck. My brother had a spare L28 he wasn't using so i dropped that into it. I used the original S.U.s and intake manifold. When we got the car running it ran great. Then all of a sudden it dies one day. long story short i put a carb rebuild kit in it. That got it running again and i tunned the carbs to where i thought the engine ran the best and i drove it again and it does this thing where the engine is really sluggish and barley has any power. It will iddle fine sometimes and the engine will be will be really snappy but it seems like when i drive it it takes a really long time to rev and pull through. I took it to a mechanic 3 times and he still hasn't figured it out. I was thinking vaccume leak possibly, but i think the carbs are tuned fine because 1/3 of the time it runs great. I really don't know. There aren't any good z mechanics in my area.

Any help would greatly be appreciated,

Glenn,

drop back to the basics, check for vacuum leaks and verify the timing, and ignition advance, and fuel pressure,& flow rates, and oil pressure,read the plugs,verify the exhaust is not restricted,verify the sensors read correctly and the cooling system works, chances are good a basic tune up and a few tests will find the problem source

hey grumpy, i have a question for you. Do you know of a company that sells a driver side low/mid mount alt bracket for a SBC with a long water pump. All the ones ive seen are for a short pump. If i can avoid it, i would rather not have to replace all my pulley's and pump since i just bought them. I need to move it to that side so i can 1) close my hood, and 2) use my stock power steering lines without having to have custom ones made.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S.B.Long_Pump.htm

Part Number 214L - ALT. (NEAR BOTTOM OF PAGE)

Mounts the alternator low on the driver's side. Bolts to block and water pump for the stability needed when mounting the alternator low with a long water pump.

214L.GIF

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=1871&p=5395#p5395

OR

123R,223L.GIF

Edited by grumpyvette

thank you, is the oil that i used ok and whats the best way to adjust clutch linkage and check bearing

the oil should be ok (check with the manufacturer of the transmission))

the "best" way to check the throw out bearing is to remove it, inspect the clutch while the trans is out and throw the old throw out bearing in the dumpster if its got any indication of wear, it should spin smoothly and QUIETLY in your hands with no slack or grinding or outward appearance of wear

theres HUNDREDS of different clutch designs so ID suggest common sense leave some slack in the linkage, if its the Z BAR style and get a shop manual from the car that the clutch linkage came from for a basic over view

Edited by grumpyvette