HybridZ

fuel filter, befor fuel the pump

It's been done of aftermarket pumps plenty of times, but you have to use a much coarser filter.

How do you determine or get a coarser filter. I have used a regular fuel filter in the past but don't remember having problem or even thought of it as a problem.

I've done plenty of Aeromotive fuel setups, etc. They have filters (that are serviceable) that are fine for post-pump to avoid small particles entering the injectors and a coarse filter (100 micron or something) to avoid big stuff getting into the pump. They are done thusly;

[Tank]--->[C.Filter]--->[Pump]--->[F.Filter]--->[injectors]

I honestly don't think that particulates are much of a problem for the fuel pump itself except if you have an old gas tank, accidentally drop something in the fuel (grit, etc.) or have a really crappy source for fuel. I've never really set up a "built" fuel system where crappy gas or an old gas tank was used, however. In any event, 100 micron should get anything out that's going to hurt the pump. Leave the rest for the post-pump filter where the pump can push past/around it (in the filter media) much easier.

I've no idea what type of filter you used or how fine the mesh was or even what pump you used. Some pumps can, some can't. Depends on a lot of factors, I suppose. I've been told the A1000 can suck fuel to itself but I never trust that when setting a car up.

Here's a link:

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=179