HybridZ

Line lock as parking brake

Quick safety concern question...if one installs a line lock for use as a parking brake ...rear brakes ...and is driving on a track with a passanger. What will happen if the passanger presses down on the line lock ..accidently leans on it with an elbow..... as the driver is braking hard into a corner??

Will the brakes lock?? :shock: I have never used a line lock and am not clear as to how easy it is to activate. If so I will build a safety cover!

First off, it's a BAD idea to even consider using a line lock as a parking brake, assuming you're referring to an "electrically" controlled line lock, as used in drag cars for doing burnouts, launching, etc... The reason for this is simple. They require 12 volts to activate and if left on, they'll eventually drain the battery and release, therefore becoming nothing more than useless hardware.

Secondly, the way they're used is by pumping the brakes, pressing and holding the button and releasing the pedal, thus locking the pressure to that particular set of brakes.

They're not meant to be used continuously, as a parking brake, for the reason stated above.

Hope that sheds some light.

This is a temporary for a Wildwood setup. I understand your points about electricaly operated systems and the idea that hydraulics can and will leak. Mine is a mechanical setup and I will NOT rely on the system as a fail safe method to park the car. 1st gear will be used as well and block if necessary.

To your point on pumping up pressure and then activating the lock....thats exactly my concern. If Im braking hard prior to a corner with pressure in the line and the "knob" is depressed ....will it automaticaly lock the wheels and hold them? Or will it unlock when I release the brake.

Thanx

Yes, if you are braking and someone presses the line lock knob, the pressure behind the knob will be held in the line. It takes about 2-3 pounds of manual force to activate the knob on my Wilwood unit. When you re-apply the brakes, and pedal pressure generates line pressure, that equals or exceeds the pressure being held, the line lock releases. My line lock holds the car on a hill for about an hour or two. Maybe more. I DONT use it as a permanent parking brake. A brick and leaving it in gear is peace of mind.

BTW: It will not lock up your wheels unless they were already locked up when the passenger pushes the knob. It just holds the last pressure that was in the line.