HybridZ

Interest in custom distributor trigger?

Hotrodpez

im not sure what thread i saw this in. but im almost sure someone took a cam sensor off a z32 i believe and adapted it to work with a l28 dizzy body.. would this not be the same concept? and i think the parts would be alot cheaper and more available..

• Administrators
Per chance, why not edis? I can understand making something new, so I'm just asking with out prejudice, just curiosity.

I get the impression the OP is looking at building a batch. The problem with an EDIS wheel is the number of damper's/pulley's Nissan used. You don't have the luxury of 'one size fits all'. Not even 'two sizes fits all'.

This, in my mind, is part of the value in using the 280zxt optical trigger... its nearly a bolt-on for most L6's. From a vendors perspective, it would seem more profitable to focus on that design, offering a blank-off cap and a couple of different optical wheels (to suit various EMS). This strategy would cover 90% of the market, fairly efficiently.

I've run these to 7500 RPM with no trigger errors.

MikeHintzCAS.jpg

im not sure what thread i saw this in. but im almost sure someone took a cam sensor off a z32 i believe and adapted it to work with a l28 dizzy body.. would this not be the same concept? and i think the parts would be alot cheaper and more available..

You may be referring to one I did. Its a very time consuming project for no mechanical gain over a 280zxt dizzy.

BarntsCAS.jpg

I get the impression the OP is looking at building a batch. The problem with an EDIS wheel is the number of damper's/pulley's Nissan used. You don't have the luxury of 'one size fits all'. Not even 'two sizes fits all'.

This, in my mind, is part of the value in using the 280zxt optical trigger... its nearly a bolt-on for most L6's. From a vendors perspective, it would seem more profitable to focus on that design, offering a blank-off cap and a couple of different optical wheels (to suit various EMS). This strategy would cover 90% of the market, fairly efficiently.

MikeHintzCAS.jpg

You may be referring to one I did. Its a very time consuming project for no mechanical gain over a 280zxt dizzy.

BarntsCAS.jpg

I will say that the beauty of that work and the insight you just gave,,ummmm,,, that is past me.

On a side note, friggin way cool Ron that looks like factory!!:)

• Administrators
what CAS did you use? and what yr distributer body did you use?

I'd have to do some digging, but I believe it was a '92 CAS.

I didn't use a distributor base. The I built 'swash plates' (for adjustability) and mounted it directly to the front cover. It takes a fair bit of effort... and its purely cosmetic.

When you walk up to the yellow ZX (pictured above), the CAS is fairly high and large. Its quite noticeable.

In the pic below, the Z32 CAS all but disappears...

HomePage_Barnts.jpg

if the CAS was sprayed or the cover was made to look like aluminum, it would be so inconspicuous on the yellow car, ron!

or you could make a joke of it and put a fat "SOOPER HORSE POWER MODULAT-R" sticker on it, with some funky kanji text beside it. you know... "for increased element of power engine, and evoluation of performancing".

all that aside, I looked in my Z31 and saw that it has a CAS wheel that I'm willing to bet is identical to the Z32, so if one needs to have some spare wheels to modify...

Someone correct me if I am wrong

this would be the same as using a turbo distributor (the one with the disc inside)????

as a trigger

If it were modified to only give 1 pulse per 720 degrees of rotation instead of 6, then yes. I'm assuming we are still talking about using it as a CAS.

• Administrators
Someone correct me if I am wrong

this would be the same as using a turbo distributor (the one with the disc inside)????

as a trigger

If it were modified to only give 1 pulse per 720 degrees of rotation instead of 6, then yes. I'm assuming we are still talking about using it as a CAS.

Now I'm confused. Terminology, perhaps? To clarify, I'm calling a trigger anything that provides positional (or RPM) information to the EMS. Be it a sync pulse, multi-tooth wheel, or even just a negative coil pick-up.

Matadem, the way I'm using the Z32 CAS is functionally identical to the way I'm using a 280zxt CAS. In my case, both can be used with no disc modifications. Or, with a simple modification (adding an additional 'slot' adjacent one of the existing slots). In the first example, the EMS knows engine position, but it doesn't know specifically where cyl 1 is. With the modification, the EMS can establish where cyl. one is. Note: I'm only implementing the 'low res' row, ignoring the 360 slot row.

As Tim suggested, it could also be used as a 'sync', working in conjunction with a crank sensor. In that case, a disc with only one slot would do the trick. It adds some complexity (requiring the use of two triggers), but it can add accuracy.

I'm confused! So do you use both the distributor style sensor and the crank sensor? Say for a system like SDS with coil packs. Do you use the Hall sensor that is given with the system or can you just use an EPM like AEM sells for timing? How would that set up/work?

You got any better pics of the mod's needed to fit the z32 cas.. I have a rb25det cas which im adapting to fit onto my l28et build.. Just would like to know.

• Administrators
So do you use both the distributor style sensor and the crank sensor?

Both vehicles pictured are using a single trigger... a modified Nissan optical CAS. Providing one additional 'window' is enough info for the EMS to run fully sequential injection and DIS. Keep in mind, different EMS's have different capabilities/limitations.

OpticalTrigger.jpg

Say for a system like SDS with coil packs. Do you use the Hall sensor that is given with the system...

Use SDS stuff unless you have good reason not to. SDS doesn't care if cyl. one is TDC power stroke or TDC exhaust stroke. Its a wasted-spark/batch-fire system so any trigger beyond that it pointless (and useless).

You got any better pics of the mod's needed to fit the z32 cas.. I have a rb25det cas which im adapting to fit onto my l28et build.. Just would like to know.

Sorry, I don't.

Both vehicles pictured are using a single trigger... a modified Nissan optical CAS. Providing one additional 'window' is enough info for the EMS to run fully sequential injection and DIS. Keep in mind, different EMS's have different capabilities/limitations.

OpticalTrigger.jpg

Use SDS stuff unless you have good reason not to. SDS doesn't care if cyl. one is TDC power stroke or TDC exhaust stroke. Its a wasted-spark/batch-fire system so any trigger beyond that it pointless (and useless).

Sorry, I don't.

did you have to flip the cas disk with the z32 unit ?

• Administrators
did you have to flip the cas disk with the z32 unit ?

I did flip it because I wanted to use a rising-edge trigger (Wolf3D standard recommend configuration). If you are using a falling-edge capable EMS, you might get away with right-side-up.